Genesis 1 and 2's Specific Creation of Man and Woman

Not to walk off the path of this discussion, but I am way more confused by Genesis 4:13-14: Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

Cain was the third human on earth, having killed the fourth. Who then are those that could find Cain and kill him? Does this indicate that Genesis focused on the life and history of Adam and Eve and that there were others not mentioned? Where did Cain find a wife to give birth to Enoch?

Rtm3039
Longitivtiy of life was much long nearing the 1000 yr mark. we not be told how much time had passed with Cain & Able only that they were fully grown adults. Seems ample time for Adam & Eve to have other children. Cain married a close relative perhaps his sister. It was a common practice in ancient times

In regard to who would be a threat to Cain and Cain being united with a sister.
I think our thinking is the problem, we live in a 70 year mind set but they lived hundreds of years. At that time and much more would transpire in their life times. We think everything happened in a quick succession of events when in fact scripture doesn't necessarily lay it out that way. Cain could have hung around home for a couple of hundreds of years before he decided to move away. Consider, this business of murder and death, it would have been a new concept and no predetermined courses of action would have been developed, so despite the fact that it would have been a time of great sorrow they as a family would have had to work through it from ground zero.
If there would have been other unrelated humanoid beings at that time it would certainly impacted the story of humanity and that doesn't fit scripture.

Longitivtiy of life was much long nearing the 1000 yr mark. we not be told how much time had passed with Cain & Able only that they were fully grown adults. Seems ample time for Adam & Eve to have other children. Cain married a close relative perhaps his sister. It was a common practice in ancient times

In Genesis 20:10-12 10, this is made clear: And Abimelek asked Abraham, “What was your reason for doing this?” 11 Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’ 12 Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.

In the Book of Jubilees, it is said that Seth married his sister, Azura. But I find no reference of this in the Bible, not for Caine or for Seth.

Genesis 4:17 notes: "17 And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son—Enoch." There is literature that suggests Cain did marry the oldest daughter of Adam and Eve.

I suspect you are correct. I just wish there was more in Genesis to discuss the daughters.

Rtm

I don't have any dictionaries that old. I only have Oxford or Collins. In NZ we tend to use English dictionaries not Websters (which is american)

KJV isn't 1828. It goes back further to 1611.

It is not the english it's the original Hebrew I am after.

Yes 1611 was the year that the King James Bible first saw the light of day. But it saw a number of revisions over the centuries due to accidental word corruptions and spelling typos due to the newness and complexity of printing and also with the standardisation of the English language over time of which the 1769 revision has remained the last accepted revision. Noah Webster’s dictionary is certainly American but the 1828 edition is much closer in meaning to the English of the time for the standard 1769 King James Bible. Many Modern dictionaries do not always have the fullness of that input for the obvious reasons. As to Hebrew and any other language for that matter there be Hebrew dictionaries, concordances etc. Maybe they have banned Christian bookstores in NZ ? I not know. : ) But you still able to find a vast array information on the net if it be Hebrew you seek.

Hey Lanolin and Prim90;

There are Bible dictionaries depending on what works for you. I invested in a Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary.

Years before that I used to carry a .99 cent dictionary for my studies and it did the job.

I gave away the Holmans I remember I did have one at one stage and a small pocket one.

No there is still christian bookstores in nz. But I just wanted to look up the Hebrew not the English. I guess nobody can tell me as nobody speaks Hebrew here. Its not that important.. I know 'man' translated into English really means people I'm not fussed about nitpicking each verse.

Cain could have found a wife by rib surgery just as Adam did with Eve. After a while God stopped doing that because if He'd kept doing that all the time men would just go round with missing ribs.

Most people nowadays wouldn't want to marry their sister, though in some cultures sisters get treated as de-facto wives by their unmarried brothers anyway.

I'd be like no thanks, living with my brothers was bad enough, imagine being married to them!

In Genesis 20:10-12 10, this is made clear: And Abimelek asked Abraham, “What was your reason for doing this?” 11 Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’ 12 Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.

In the Book of Jubilees, it is said that Seth married his sister, Azura. But I find no reference of this in the Bible, not for Caine or for Seth.

Genesis 4:17 notes: "17 And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son—Enoch." There is literature that suggests Cain did marry the oldest daughter of Adam and Eve.

I suspect you are correct. I just wish there was more in Genesis to discuss the daughters.

Rtm

Correct. There is NO Bible reference as to who Seth and Cain married.

Cain married either his sister, or niece or maybe an aunt.

Cain could have found a wife by rib surgery just as Adam did with Eve. After a while God stopped doing that because if He'd kept doing that all the time men would just go round with missing ribs.

Most people nowadays wouldn't want to marry their sister, though in some cultures sisters get treated as de-facto wives by their unmarried brothers anyway.

I'd be like no thanks, living with my brothers was bad enough, imagine being married to them!
Think about what your brothers would say!!!!

Not to walk off the path of this discussion, but I am way more confused by Genesis 4:13-14: Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.” Cain was the third human on earth, having killed the fourth. Who then are those that could find Cain and kill him? Does this indicate that Genesis focused on the life and history of Adam and Eve and that there were others not mentioned? Where did Cain find a wife to give birth to Enoch?
Rtm3039

In the Book of Jubilees, it is said that Seth married his sister, Azura. But I find no reference of this in the Bible, not for Caine or for Seth. Genesis 4:17 notes: "17 And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son—Enoch." There is literature that suggests Cain did marry the oldest daughter of Adam and Eve. I suspect you are correct. I just wish there was more in Genesis to discuss the daughters.
Rtm

Correct. There is NO Bible reference as to who Seth and Cain married. Cain married either his sister, or niece or maybe an aunt.

Hello Rey;

Cain's punishment was more unbearable to him than the sin he committed against God. This was a major note, a lesson that we can all relate to.

It appears God left out so much information in the Bible. These are called minor notes (which may be important to me,) but God is revealing the more important points in His Word.

Though the Book of Jubilees is considered the smaller version of Genesis, and have suggestive hypothesis of many details in the Bible that were left unrevealed.

In the case of Abraham claiming Sarah was his sister is a
major note. Though Sarah was his half sister, she was his wife first, but lied to Abimelech. God would hold Abraham accountable for that.

As
Major shared there is no Bible reference as to who Seth and Cain married is correct.

Many times the Bible student will become so obsessed with the
minor notes that they will dig deeper and find the answers from a source aside from the Bible that may not be accurate.

I don't have book of Jubilees in my bible, isn't it a catholic book or part of the apochrypha? sp?

While Eve is the mother of all living, it's really Sarah who's the mother of nations. Genesis 16:16

And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her; yea, I will bless her and she shall be a mother of nations: kings of people shall be of her.

I don't know how important Sarah was, in the whole scheme of it, it seems she was very beautiful, and even though Abraham had Ishmael by Hagar and another wife (concubine?) after Sarah died - Keturah, her children didn't seem to count.

So even in the Bible some wives were more important than others. Back then men could have many wives, after all Jacob had two plus maidservants bore him children and nobody thought anything of it. It was only in NT times that there was a rule about bishops and pastors having only ONE wife. I forgot how many David had..not to mention Solomon! Was it back then that more girls were born than boys?

Hello Rey;

Cain's punishment was more unbearable to him than the sin he committed against God. This was a major note, a lesson that we can all relate to.

It appears God left out so much information in the Bible. These are called minor notes (which may be important to me,) but God is revealing the more important points in His Word.

Though the Book of Jubilees is considered the smaller version of Genesis, and have suggestive hypothesis of many details in the Bible that were left unrevealed.

In the case of Abraham claiming Sarah was his sister is a
major note. Though Sarah was his half sister, she was his wife first, but lied to Abimelech. God would hold Abraham accountable for that.

As
Major shared there is no Bible reference as to who Seth and Cain married is correct.

Many times the Bible student will become so obsessed with the
minor notes that they will dig deeper and find the answers from a source aside from the Bible that may not be accurate.
The most significant appreciation of what the Bible tells us is that it tells us what God wants us to know, not all there is to know. I have been an investigator since the age of 19, so the desire to look at the minor details is something I believe I was born with. It took me almost a lifetime to accept that the best I can do is study what is written and not to spend too much time dealing with what was left out. If that was God's intent, I am good with it.

I did read an interesting article that claims all of Adam and Eve's sons were both with a female twin that God intended them to marry. Cain wanted to marry Able's twin sister. God's pleasure and displeasure with Cain and Able's offerings were Adam's idea to see what God's position was on Cain's desire to marry his brother's twin sister. We all know how that turned out, which was attributed to Cain's jealousy of Able's intended wife. Not Biblical, but an interesting idea. I believe this is the version in the Qur’an, but m not sure.

I don't have book of Jubilees in my bible, isn't it a catholic book or part of the apocrypha? sp?

While Eve is the mother of all living, it's really Sarah who's the mother of nations. Genesis 16:16

And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her; yea, I will bless her and she shall be a mother of nations: kings of people shall be of her.

I don't know how important Sarah was, in the whole scheme of it, it seems she was very beautiful, and even though Abraham had Ishmael by Hagar and another wife (concubine?) after Sarah died - Keturah, her children didn't seem to count.

So even in the Bible some wives were more important than others. Back then men could have many wives, after all Jacob had two plus maidservants bore him children and nobody thought anything of it. It was only in NT times that there was a rule about bishops and pastors having only ONE wife. I forgot how many David had..not to mention Solomon! Was it back then that more girls were born than boys?
Yes, Apocrypha. "Martin Luther's 1534 Bible was the first to separate the Apocrypha as an intertestamental section with a note explaining they are not divinely inspired. The Geneva Bible followed this example in 1599."

I don't have book of Jubilees in my bible, isn't it a catholic book or part of the apochrypha? sp?

NO.

The book of Jubilees is only found in the Apocrypha and the Apocrypha is Occult.

The most significant appreciation of what the Bible tells us is that it tells us what God wants us to know, not all there is to know. I have been an investigator since the age of 19, so the desire to look at the minor details is something I believe I was born with. It took me almost a lifetime to accept that the best I can do is study what is written and not to spend too much time dealing with what was left out. If that was God's intent, I am good with it.

I did read an interesting article that claims all of Adam and Eve's sons were both with a female twin that God intended them to marry. Cain wanted to marry Able's twin sister. God's pleasure and displeasure with Cain and Able's offerings were Adam's idea to see what God's position was on Cain's desire to marry his brother's twin sister. We all know how that turned out, which was attributed to Cain's jealousy of Able's intended wife. Not Biblical, but an interesting idea. I believe this is the version in the Qur’an, but m not sure.

My advice is to place that article in the "Out house". But it does sound like something that Muhammed's secretary would have written.

Question............
"Was it back then that more girls were born than boys?"

NO!

God NEVER approved of polygamy! God said ONE man and ONE woman and they became ONE flesh!

Men in the Old Test. middle East did because they wanted to and it was SIN. If you do the work you will find that every man who had multiple wives had sorrow in his life.

Bible fact : . None of the prophets had more than one wife !

Back