Genesis 1 and 2's Specific Creation of Man and Woman

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Last night my wife and I did a Bible reading starting with Genesis 1 and 2. Then we discussed the creation of man and woman. She asked me, did God create man and woman in Genesis 1 or in Genesis 2? I explained, there is a specific distinction of God's creation of a man and woman that He is revealing.

In Genesis 1:26-27, 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. - ESV

Genesis 2:7-8, 7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. 8 And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed. - ESV

Genesis 2:18, 18 Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” - ESV

Genesis 2:20, 20 The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. 21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. 23 Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” 24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. 25 And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed. - ESV

This is not a trick question or a stump. But it is important to learn together and get additional insight of the specific difference in both chapters between God's creation of man and woman.

Please join in your thoughts and discussion.

God bless you all.

did God create man and woman in Genesis 1 or in Genesis 2?
Thank you bobinfaith.
As a starting point in the discussion:

Genesis 1 and 2 are concurrent perspectives of the same events concerning man’s creation are they not?

Gen. 1 describes man and woman’s creation and provides context to understand their place in creation and their relationship with the Creator.

Gen. 2 fills in more details of the creation and then gives the vocation and duties of man and women in God’s creation.

Hello Bob and good day to you.
I'm sure we both agree that the Word is perfect it is just our understanding that is wanting.
If I may state my understanding.
There is only one creation account but it is progressive. Step one - God created man. Now in the beginning gender is not an issue, such as in heavenly beings, there aren't male and female. A heavenly being is a complete being, both the male and female components in one. In step two God put man in a physical body and separated the spirits for fellowship purposes etc. This concept is reflected in God's creation. Why did God create? He could have easily existed on His own. But fellowship is an attribute that needs to be expressed just like salvation, healing etc. I know I have covered a lot of ground here but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. And I'm believing you are cutting me enough slack for this opinion.

Hello blueskies, Prim90 and 2404;

Years ago I actually debated with someone, "Could God have made a mistake and repeated His Creation?" Definitely not! As 2404 stated, "the Word is perfect. It is our understanding that is wanting."

blueskies posts the "Place of creation" in Genesis 1. When God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Genesis 1 was the Creation process.

adds the Progressive process in Genesis 1 and points to the heavenly being in our image, not yet the distinction of man and woman.

Genesis 2 is the Physical process of God's creation. Prim90 adds a great perspective that after Adam named all the livestock, birds and beasts, he didn't have a mate. When God took the rib it wasn't above or beneath, but at his side, woman would his mate.

When God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, was "our" including Jesus and the Spirit?

God bless
you all and thank you.

Hello blueskies, Prim90 and 2404;

Years ago I actually debated with someone, "Could God have made a mistake and repeated His Creation?" Definitely not! As 2404 stated, "the Word is perfect. It is our understanding that is wanting."

blueskies posts the "Place of creation" in Genesis 1. When God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Genesis 1 was the Creation process.

adds the Progressive process in Genesis 1 and points to the heavenly being in our image, not yet the distinction of man and woman.

Genesis 2 is the Physical process of God's creation. Prim90 adds a great perspective that after Adam named all the livestock, birds and beasts, he didn't have a mate. When God took the rib it wasn't above or beneath, but at his side, woman would his mate.

When God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, was "our" including Jesus and the Spirit?

God bless
you all and thank you.
Good point Bob
Aside from us have different opinions on the God head let me throw something out.
Now not argument that only God can create, correct?
But how He does it - can't say...
Consider before the fall Lucipher figured he had a better idea, which seems to me that he had his hands in the process somehow???
Again, God is the only one who can create but when He does is also including the heavenly beings somehow?
Not trying to rock the boat but just a thought.

Doesn't Genesis 2 give more detail about what happened while Genesis 1 was just overview.
It doesn't meant there were two different creations.

Thanks, Lanolin;

Yes, Genesis 2 does give more detail of Genesis 1 being the overview. God's Creation of man was only once in Genesis 2. What would be your view of Genesis 1:26-27? God bless you, sister.

Good point Bob Aside from us have different opinions on the God head let me throw something out. Now not argument that only God can create, correct? But how He does it - can't say...Consider before the fall Lucipher figured he had a better idea, which seems to me that he had his hands in the process somehow??? Again, God is the only one who can create but when He does is also including the heavenly beings somehow?
Not trying to rock the boat but just a thought.

Hello 2404;

I do know your position of the GodHead. I hold my own of the Bible and some day God will reveal more, more than I will ever comprehend in this lifetime. This is why we should be able to hold these discussions and receive each one's teaching for the benefit of our growth and His glory.

If we are referring to Genesis 1:26-27 what is your understanding of "our image" who were the others? I don't know if Lucifer was included in the mix of "our image."

God bless you, 2404, and thanks!

Hello bobinfaith,

I would like to share something I find interesting.

The interesting thing is that God created man, in his image, to do what he has done and to be like him (Even though we can not be him himself), however bobinfaith, that human beings are capable of holding deity with-in them because of the Lord Jesus Christ now today, restoring what Adam (Mankind) lost in the garden.

Super interesting thing to consider as there are so many passages that talk about the Holy Spirit indwelling in us, and the Spirit of Christ indwelling in us, and having God with us if we love one another.

God created us in his image - in that we too can be fruitful and multiply - even if that is not by giving birth to children it can be by sharing and making disciples and helping people learn about God. He also created us to work - to tend the gardens (even our own individual garden)- that today would also involve Good works lead by the Spirit that is given by God through faith in the Gospel of christ.

Nice topic, and interesting comments from others.

Thanks, Lanolin;

Yes, Genesis 2 does give more detail of Genesis 1 being the overview. God's Creation of man was only once in Genesis 2. What would be your view of Genesis 1:26-27? God bless you, sister.

Hello 2404;

I do know your position of the GodHead. I hold my own of the Bible and some day God will reveal more, more than I will ever comprehend in this lifetime. This is why we should be able to hold these discussions and receive each one's teaching for the benefit of our growth and His glory.

If we are referring to Genesis 1:26-27 what is your understanding of "our image" who were the others? I don't know if Lucifer was included in the mix of "our image."

God bless you, 2404, and thanks!
The picture that comes to mind is a teacher standing before his class and he is going to show them something but involve them at the same time.

God saved the best for last (women/females).

My translation is KJV so says 'man' but I think modern bibles translate as 'humans' or 'people' to avoid confusion.

I take 'man' to mean humanity. Some people think it just means 'males', but I don't think so. English is a funny language and it's easy to get confused. Be interesting to see what the Hebrew says.

To me, Genesis 1:26-27 documents a discussion of what took place in Genesis 2:7-8 and Genesis 2:18 a discussion of what took place in Genesis 2:20. To me, the passage "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. . ." is a clear indication that God was discussing His plans with those that made up the "us." This, at a minimum, would have been Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but could have included others not of this earth.

Rtm

God saved the best for last (women/females).

My translation is KJV so says 'man' but I think modern bibles translate as 'humans' or 'people' to avoid confusion.

I take 'man' to mean humanity. Some people think it just means 'males', but I don't think so. English is a funny language and it's easy to get confused. Be interesting to see what the Hebrew says.
Lanolin sometimes we have to seek out concordances and older English dictionaries closer the era to get a deeper grasp and meaning of words. Man can refer to ( 1 ) mankind the human race as a whole. ( 2 ) a male individual. The Noah Webster’s dictionary 1828 edition may help you some with that. It still be produced for that very purpose.

I don't have any dictionaries that old. I only have Oxford or Collins. In NZ we tend to use English dictionaries not Websters (which is american)

KJV isn't 1828. It goes back further to 1611.

It is not the english it's the original Hebrew I am after.

God created us in his image - in that we too can be fruitful and multiply - even if that is not by giving birth to children it can be by sharing and making disciples and helping people learn about God. He also created us to work - to tend the gardens (even our own individual garden)- that today would also involve Good works lead by the Spirit that is given by God through faith in the Gospel of christ. Nice topic, and interesting comments from others.
To me, Genesis 1:26-27 documents a discussion of what took place in Genesis 2:7-8 and Genesis 2:18 a discussion of what took place in Genesis 2:20. To me, the passage "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. . ." is a clear indication that God was discussing His plans with those that made up the "us." This, at a minimum, would have been Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but could have included others not of this earth.
Rtm

Hello Ray;

Well said, and thank you for sharing, brother.

I'm following the discussion example of one of my profs when we discussed the various interpretation of any given Scripture. Those times when he asked a fundamental question and if a student gave an answer that may go against the flow of basic Biblical teaching, it usually was received with an open discussion. Instead of the class or him immediately refuting the student, the teacher allowed the topic to open up amongst a class of 20 to 30 students and depending on our study schedule would carry on into the next class.

He shared in one of his lectures that many Christians are
seasoned apologetics and even they struggle to have a fellowship topic because the difference in interpretation breaks down and can even lead to division.

His goal was not only to teach sound theology but by being the
light of Jesus in all gatherings including study and discussion.

I personally found this tactic
productive in the area of learning while achieving an end to the subject at hand while gaining knowledge of the Scriptures. There was always room to agree and disagree keeping the topic open for further discussion.

As GoodNewsSharing said, "interesting comments from others." I agree.

My wife and I were confused and struggled with the creation of man in chapter 2 and chapter 1. We shared with others and slowly but surely we began to distinguish between the two. I'm sure there is more to learn but the comments in this discussion will help us all get there no matter the subject.

Yes 1611 was the year that the King James Bible first saw the light of day. But it saw a number of revisions over the centuries due to accidental word corruptions and spelling typos due to the newness and complexity of printing and also with the standardisation of the English language over time of which the 1769 revision has remained the last accepted revision. Noah Webster’s dictionary is certainly American but the 1828 edition is much closer in meaning to the English of the time for the standard 1769 King James Bible. Many Modern dictionaries do not always have the fullness of that input for the obvious reasons. As to Hebrew and any other language for that matter there be Hebrew dictionaries, concordances etc. Maybe they have banned Christian bookstores in NZ ? I not know. : ) But you still able to find a vast array information on the net if it be Hebrew you seek.

Not to walk off the path of this discussion, but I am way more confused by Genesis 4:13-14: Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

Cain was the third human on earth, having killed the fourth. Who then are those that could find Cain and kill him? Does this indicate that Genesis focused on the life and history of Adam and Eve and that there were others not mentioned? Where did Cain find a wife to give birth to Enoch?

Rtm3039

Yes 1611 was the year that the King James Bible first saw the light of day. But it saw a number of revisions over the centuries due to accidental word corruptions and spelling typos due to the newness and complexity of printing and also with the standardisation of the English language over time of which the 1769 revision has remained the last accepted revision. Noah Webster’s dictionary is certainly American but the 1828 edition is much closer in meaning to the English of the time for the standard 1769 King James Bible. Many Modern dictionaries do not always have the fullness of that input for the obvious reasons. As to Hebrew and any other language for that matter there be Hebrew dictionaries, concordances etc. Maybe they have banned Christian bookstores in NZ ? I not know. : ) But you still able to find a vast array information on the net if it be Hebrew you seek.
Here is one: https://mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0104.htm

Rtm

Not to walk off the path of this discussion, but I am way more confused by Genesis 4:13-14: Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

Cain was the third human on earth, having killed the fourth. Who then are those that could find Cain and kill him? Does this indicate that Genesis focused on the life and history of Adam and Eve and that there were others not mentioned? Where did Cain find a wife to give birth to Enoch?

Rtm3039
My mom had the same question to a pastor; perhaps God created others but Adam and Eve where the representation of what it is like to be with God?

Awesome thought here, RTM.

Back