Funny, Interesting, Unusual English Words -- Like Sardoodledom

Listening to it. I have read some arguments for who wrote his works....

Professor Willis says that the Anti-Stratfordians are skeptical because they believe that a man born in a backwater town like Stratford could not have written Shakespeare.

I don't see how the birthplace has anything to do with the argument. The skepticism comes from the lack of books, the illiteracy of the family members, the lack of manuscripts, the lack of legal, medical, or scientific education, the lack of exposure to court life, the lack of travel. Nothing about the Shakespeare of Stratford fits with the Shakespeare of the poems and plays.

Otherwise, I think that Professor Willis presents both sides including the fact that Strafordians mostly don't present an argument. They just accept the word of the Stratford realestate promoters who must have build the monument. It is something like accepting the opinion of Donald Trump about the authorship of Death of a Salesman.

Willis' presentation is seven parts long. When one is done click on the next one.

So, Way Out West's producers would not have cut the man with the mop for Southern audiences. Wikipedia says that Davis was Jewish, so maybe the hotel clerk objected to that. :)

You must have lived in Mississippi during the end, or the major part of the civil rights movement.
I did live in MS during troubling times. Every day, it seemed to me, the headlines screamed, in heavy dark letters, something about "race" issues. It was odd to me, a little transplanted California girl. Although my mother was solidly prejudiced, and Father said very little, I was not, and their attitudes made me wonder at the things I was being taught. Their attitudes, and those of some others there, made me hate Mississippi.

Now, as I understand it, things have changed there. I so hope this is correct. As an adult, I am now accepting many of the Southern ways. I am even trying to learn to like corn bread!! :D So far, not so good on that one. I simply do not like most soul food, no matter how it is cooked or uncooked, except for grits. (Their fried chicken is generally too peppery for me.) Pecan pie? Bring it on! But not like the Northerners make it, with too few pecans and too much goo. Shoo Fly Pie? I have yet to taste it, but some day, I am going to make it. I don't care for anything "blackened" or anything Creole that I have tried so far....But then i eat kosher food only, too.

Professor Willis says that the Anti-Stratfordians are skeptical because they believe that a man born in a backwater town like Stratford could not have written Shakespeare.

I don't see how the birthplace has anything to do with the argument. The skepticism comes from the lack of books, the illiteracy of the family members, the lack of manuscripts, the lack of legal, medical, or scientific education, the lack of exposure to court life, the lack of travel. Nothing about the Shakespeare of Stratford fits with the Shakespeare of the poems and plays.

Otherwise, I think that Professor Willis presents both sides including the fact that Strafordians mostly don't present an argument. They just accept the word of the Stratford realestate promoters who must have build the monument. It is something like accepting the opinion of Donald Trump about the authorship of Death of a Salesman.

Willis' presentation is seven parts long. When one is done click on the next one.
With regard to birthplace, I do think they have an argument; even so, I think they are ignoring the fact of natural talent and knowledge gained through reading. It seems they are not considering these two things.

I heard the third recording and intend to hear the rest.

With regard to birthplace, I do think they have an argument; even so, I think they are ignoring the fact of natural talent and knowledge gained through reading. It seems they are not considering these two things.

Yes, the Stratfordians offer talent and reading as their major argument. The Stratford Shakespeare owned no books, so whose books did he read? Critics like Mark Twain doubted the Stratford Shakespeare because he had knowledge gained from life more than books. I'm not sure what that means. I don't know the examples. Just like with the books, the Stratford Shakespeare had no manuscripts, so he appears to have had little interest in his talent. One fact that we know for sure: He sued someone for two shillings. Seems like, a manuscript would have a value more than two shillings.

Yes, the Stratfordians offer talent and reading as their major argument. The Stratford Shakespeare owned no books, so whose books did he read? Critics like Mark Twain doubted the Stratford Shakespeare because he had knowledge gained from life more than books. I'm not sure what that means. I don't know the examples. Just like with the books, the Stratford Shakespeare had no manuscripts, so he appears to have had little interest in his talent. One fact that we know for sure: He sued someone for two shillings. Seems like, a manuscript would have a value more than two shillings.

I did live in MS during troubling times. Every day, it seemed to me, the headlines screamed, in heavy dark letters, something about "race" issues. It was odd to me, a little transplanted California girl. Although my mother was solidly prejudiced, and Father said very little, I was not, and their attitudes made me wonder at the things I was being taught. Their attitudes, and those of some others there, made me hate Mississippi.

Now, as I understand it, things have changed there. I so hope this is correct. As an adult, I am now accepting many of the Southern ways. I am even trying to learn to like corn bread!! :D So far, not so good on that one. I simply do not like most soul food, no matter how it is cooked or uncooked, except for grits. (Their fried chicken is generally too peppery for me.) Pecan pie? Bring it on! But not like the Northerners make it, with too few pecans and too much goo. Shoo Fly Pie? I have yet to taste it, but some day, I am going to make it. I don't care for anything "blackened" or anything Creole that I have tried so far....But then i eat kosher food only, too.

I never heard of Shoo Fly Pie, but I eat grits, cornbread, gumbo and the like. One of my Baptist relatives married a Jewish girl. When she eats the ham, she says its okay because it's kosher ham. :) :LOL:

anarchy

absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal

In California schools we study government in the sixth, tenth, eleventh, and twelveth grades, so I know a few things about Greek, Roman, and Christian contributions to what Americans think of government.

Today, the World History teacher asked us to define anarchy. I said that I could not define it, but I would know it when I see it. For example, like inside Camp Sumpter, the POW camp near Andersonville, Georgia as told by John McElroy in Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, which is McElroy's account of life without rules, a world governed by thugs inside the POW camp during the American Civil War.

It's a great yarn, and it has been fictionalized, some could say plagiarized, by MacKinlay Kantor in a novel by the same name.

I wonder if he had a twirked sense of humor and enjoyed harassing people! :D

I never heard of Shoo Fly Pie, but I eat grits, cornbread, gumbo and the like. One of my Baptist relatives married a Jewish girl. When she eats the ham, she says its okay because it's kosher ham. :) :LOL:

http://www.momsfreerecipes.com/?a=455002&s1=googsearch&s2=&s3=&title=Top 10 Shoo Fly Pie Recipes&headline=Shoo Fly Pie&image=http://www.prodlinks.com/images/noimage.jpg

Kosher ham, huh? Have a friend who was a farmer, and he tried to come up with pig that "chewed the cud," so that he could call them kosher. Didn't work. :D When I think of eating pork, my stomach actually gets upset. Easy, then, for me to avoid it! :D

Oh! You may have read that i am having problems getting on this site from home. We're working on it....

I'd heard about the speculation but hadn't read anything until this evening. I don't know how accurate it is but scanning through the Wikipedia article on the subject, personally, I'm not sure that birthplace would be an argument. It seems there is no evidence as to where (or even if) he may have been educated but had he attended the free King's New School in Stratford, he would have been educated by Oxford graduates. Apparently the standard curriculum at the time included Latin and the classics.

Reading much further down the page, I notice "Ben Jonson and Francis Beaumont both refer to his lack of classical learning" and notice a couple of references to mistakes he made. I'd have guessed that would make it more likely that he was someone who had perhaps had a bit of learning rather than someone who had studied all the way through university?

For my money, I think the main thing that leans me towards thinking he was the author is that the actors and the writers that knew him don't appear to question his authorship. As noted above, some even criticise his lack of classical learning but there doesn't appear to be any record of anyone questioning whether the person might not be the author. It seems to take a couple of hundred years before that question arises.

Anyway, pure speculation on my part...

I'd heard about the speculation but hadn't read anything until this evening. I don't know how accurate it is but scanning through the Wikipedia article on the subject, personally, I'm not sure that birthplace would be an argument. It seems there is no evidence as to where (or even if) he may have been educated but had he attended the free King's New School in Stratford, he would have been educated by Oxford graduates. Apparently the standard curriculum at the time included Latin and the classics.

Reading much further down the page, I notice "Ben Jonson and Francis Beaumont both refer to his lack of classical learning" and notice a couple of references to mistakes he made. I'd have guessed that would make it more likely that he was someone who had perhaps had a bit of learning rather than someone who had studied all the way through university?

For my money, I think the main thing that leans me towards thinking he was the author is that the actors and the writers that knew him don't appear to question his authorship. As noted above, some even criticise his lack of classical learning but there doesn't appear to be any record of anyone questioning whether the person might not be the author. It seems to take a couple of hundred years before that question arises.

Anyway, pure speculation on my part...
Sure, it's speculation, but that is all we all have, and you have more education/reading than I in this area, making your speculation more likely valid than mine!

By the way, I am back on CFS from home. Apparently, there was a problem this past week end -- not just my problem. :)

-------------------------------------------

Oops! I thought I was writing to @Ghid, until just now. Sorry!

Last edited:
I never heard of Shoo Fly Pie, but I eat grits, cornbread, gumbo and the like.

I think grits is the only one I've tried and I think it's awful. I'm too fussy with what I'll eat in the way of meat/fish to fancy most of the gumbo recipes I've found and I live with vegetarians parents. I've just read there is one called gumbo z'herbes, apparently traditionally cooked by Catholics at Lent, that might be worth a try one day. We all like okra but I think have only had it in Indian meals.

Sure, it's speculation, but that is all we all have, and you have more education/reading than I in this area, making your speculation more likely valid than mine!

-------------------------------------------

Oops! I thought I was writing to @Ghid, until just now. Sorry!

That's fine. My own Shakespeare knowledge is pretty much limited to having had to do Julius Ceasar and Romeo and Juliet in school.

I have been to a couple of plays held in the grounds of stately homes round here but I've not done that for a few years. Not really sure if I understood what the plays were about from the dialogue but I think these places make nice settings and the (at least with the couple I went to) atmosphere is relaxed and informal so their not a bad early evening out in the summer months regardless of whether or not you are following the play. You bring your own seating and food/drink. I've noticed the food/drink side has varied from say someone like me with a couple of sandwiches in a Tupperware box and a can of beer to someone else with a fancy picnic hamper and a bottle of champagne but either way (plus various steps in between) seems to be considered fine. The only thing to watch out for is the weather. I know my parents went to one that was abandoned half way through because of a severe thunder storm.

For my money, I think the main thing that leans me towards thinking he was the author is that the actors and the writers that knew him don't appear to question his authorship.

When my physics teacher/softball coach first mentioned the lack of evidence for the glover's son from Stratford being Shakespeare, I told him about the first folio, and how the people who knew Shakespeare said in the first folio that Shakespeare of Stratford was Shakespeare of the plays.

Since then I have learned that almost all of the Shakespeare biography is fiction: he must have read books, he must have traveled, he must have had noble friends, and he must have known the Earl of Southampton.

Also, I think Professor Willis may be incorrect about the glover's son being the "Sweet Swan of Avon." The idea that Oxford could be the swan seems reasonable to me. Lots of characters in the plays fit with people in Oxford's life, but that is also sepculaltion, just like glover's son's biography is speculation.

Seems to me that it is missing the most important part, the apples, or cherries, or peaches, or blackberries or lemons or rhubarb or something? :)
Seriously! But I had been told that this was one pie people made during the Great Depression, because it was cheap to make.

Seems to me that it is missing the most important part, the apples, or cherries, or peaches, or blackberries or lemons or rhubarb or something? :)

Oh I don't know. I've never tried one but looking at the recipe, it doesn't seem to be to far off a treacle tart and I like those.

Our Bramley Apple tree is ready for picking now. I had apple crumble a couple of days ago and should be getting a few apple pies/crumbles soon. (Well not that many, we cook and freeze some of the apples).

I'll have to look up the treacle tart. I learned the word treacle from Alice in Wonderland.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/treacle-tart/

When I see a recipe, my brain immediately goes toward, "How can I make this less sugary?"

Treacle is perhaps a bit of an odd word for us to use for that dessert. I think we'd usually take "treacle" to mean "black treacle" which is more like molasses but the treacle tart is made using what we'd call "golden syrup". That dessert is very sweet but at least from the taste point of view, a bit of ice cream for example with it can sort of counteract that.

Seriously! But I had been told that this was one pie people made during the Great Depression, because it was cheap to make.

That has the holy moly Red Rider smell of truth along with using the last cup of cream to smother a cabbage, and adding sugar water to blue john (skim milk), so all the children will have a glass of milk.

I had to check the spelling of blue john because I have never seen it written. My great grandmother would not drink skim milk, which she called blue john. My mother has what you would call hips and boobs, which makes her a big fan of skim milk for calorie counting etc. Breakfast with the three of them had its funny moments.

Also, great grandmother would not eat sweat potatoes maybe because she had too much of them during the Depression. Her daughter in law, my grandmother, makes sweet potatoes for Christmas and Thanksgiving because her mother made sweet potatoes, also likely a recipe from the Depression.

It's too much of a funny. :ROFLMAO:

Back