Fruits of the Spirit

I like reminding myself of these things, and sharing them with others so that we may all may benefit and grow each day:

Gal 5:19-26
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told [you] in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those [who are] Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Can't say how many times I've been taken out to the wood shed, but the strap is indeed well worn...

MM

So... In verse 22 is the word "fruit" plural and means that there are many different varieties, or is it singular, meaning that it is one fruit with many attributes?

Can one exhibit this fruit and not exhibit one aspect (love but not peace)?

So... In verse 22 is the word "fruit" plural and means that there are many different varieties, or is it singular, meaning that it is one fruit with many attributes?

Hmm. I did use the plural in the naming of this thread, when it should have been singular.

So, were we to look at real fruit on a tree, it can be said that there are numerous, beneficial vitamins and minerals in most all fruit types.

So, the language of that context, when paralleling with fruit, seems to give the impression that those character qualities that followers of Christ are supposed to exude should be "organic" to all who are truly in Christ Jesus. So, those qualities of character should be "organic," as fruit, to the follower of Christ.

Thanks for bringing this up, Siloam. Good stuff.

MM

This is not a list of nine separate fruits, but nine characteristics of the (single) fruit of the Spirit. In Christ, we should expect to see all of these characteristics showing up together as we give God's Spirit control. They come in no particular order, or rank, or schedule.

So... In verse 22 is the word "fruit" plural and means that there are many different varieties, or is it singular, meaning that it is one fruit with many attributes? Can one exhibit this fruit and not exhibit one aspect (love but not peace)?

This is not a list of nine separate fruits, but nine characteristics of the (single) fruit of the Spirit. In Christ, we should expect to see all of these characteristics showing up together as we give God's Spirit control. They come in no particular order, or rank, or schedule.

Hello Siloam;

Great point
and it's important this be shared to everyone who studies Galatians 5.

I was not aware and for some time I referred to the
"plural of fruits" because of the nine separated fruits. I thought this was ok until it was taught to me as the nine characteristics of the (single) fruit of the Spirit. Thank you, Major!

Hello, Musicmaster;

Good stuff, brother, you wrote, "Can't say how many times I've been taken out to the wood shed, but the strap is indeed well worn..."

It's not like we learn Galatians 5:19-26 and then we're on our way. I'm still being taken out to the woodshed but now at my age my jeans are padded. lol!

I'm looking forward to learning more on this topic.

God bless
you, Siloam and MM.

Hello Siloam;

Great point
and it's important this be shared to everyone who studies Galatians 5.

I was not aware and for some time I referred to the
"plural of fruits" because of the nine separated fruits. I thought this was ok until it was taught to me as the nine characteristics of the (single) fruit of the Spirit. Thank you, Major!

Hello, Musicmaster;

Good stuff, brother, you wrote, "Can't say how many times I've been taken out to the wood shed, but the strap is indeed well worn..."

It's not like we learn Galatians 5:19-26 and then we're on our way. I'm still being taken out to the woodshed but now at my age my jeans are padded. lol!

I'm looking forward to learning more in this topic.

God bless
you, Siloam and MM.
I live to serve brother and any and all LOVE offerings are gladly accepted at............BR549!

One thing that strikes me whenever I read the 5th chapter of Galatians is the contrast it draws between the Spirit and the Flesh.

Paul repetitively switches between describing things of the Spirit in contrast with those of the flesh.

In verse 17 we are told that the Spirit and the Flesh are in <direct> opposition and that it is that opposition that constrains us whatever we choose.

Verse 18 reminds us that being under the Spirit, we are not under the Law just before giving us a list of the deeds of the flesh in Verses 19-21. The Law itself is not so much constraining us but making the fundamental evil in the flesh evident.

It is then that we are given the list of attributes for Spiritual fruit in direct contrast with the things of the flesh, ending with the observation that all the things of the Spirit are within the Law.

It is the stark contrast between the deeds of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit that gets me every time.

This put me in remembrance of a study of Galatians I did back in 2015. Reading back through it, I noticed my brain function was better then......... Anyway, I will post that section here.

Galatians 5: NKJV in black. NLT in red. My comments in blue.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. -- 19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. --Quite a list of evil which we would gravitate to without the direction of the Holy Spirit. And these are not all of them!?! I have dwelt longer on this section, being led to do so, as there is so much here to understand in a way to recognize in our own desires which are connected to our initial reactions. I often begin with my KJV Bible as my starting point for study. As I did with this section, I kept tripping and coming back to the word “lasciviousness”, translated as “lewdness” in NKJV and “lustful pleasures” in NLT. The index defines it as “unbridled lust”.

Romans 13:
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.--These works are of darkness, and Galatians says evident, or obvious. Practicing them, living them, is a blatant disregard of love for others. Not to mention an affront to the Holy Spirit. This gives insight to those with depression and trouble with life in general. Too many prefer to hide away from others, choosing to be isolated. Their deeds are not judged, so they conclude, under the cover of isolation or darkness as the Bible terms it. Darkness is used as an expression of "no one else seeing" or "under cover". We should prefer to do our deeds or works in the "light" and view of others, not so they think highly of you, but to be an example and encourage others. This would be loving others and fulfill the law or directive from Jesus. This is not to be confused with the Law which was given to Moses.

Ephesians 4:17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.--Again, one of the works of the flesh, lasciviousness or lewdness or lust is part of the "ignorance in them" and "blindness of their heart" and this actually alienates or separates us from the life of God. Again, darkness is mentioned here in reference to one's understanding, the futility of one's thinking. This is the decision making of the flesh, or carnal sin nature.

Jude 3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.--Lewdness or lasciviousness here is warned against as a product of those who want to take our faith in the grace of our God to use it for their own purposes. These are power hungry, self serving people looking for a certain outcome of their own choosing, instead of the Spirit led outcome of God's will for us.

Back to Galatians:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. --22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! --The law disappears with these love inspired attributes which can be connected to your works. Seek these things out, allow the Spirit to produce these in your life.

24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. --24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. --Something for us to do. Crucify the flesh. Allow the Spirit to direct you in this.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. --25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. --Don't just live in the Spirit. Walk in Him also. Let the Spirit come out in what you do. Others must be affected by this to be in the "light". Love must be connected to others in some way.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. --26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.--Be careful in our dealings with others. It is way too easy to grandstand, show off, or boast. Be real with others. Don't portray yourself as flawless.

Back to Romans 13:
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.--Can't really add to that.

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭15‬-‭20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Here I see fruits being used, but if you go to the NET it uses “fruit”

And a question I have is what is the difference between the fruit of the Spirit and good works?

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”

And a question I have is what is the difference between the fruit of the Spirit and good works?
IMHO, the fruit of the Holy Spirit is the inner condition of our heart.

"Works" is what we DO to confirm that we in fact have the Holy Spirit in our heart.

Good question.

Major was pointing in the right direction.

To break it down into more detail, let's consider these things:

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Ephesians 5:8-10
8 For you were once darkness, but now [you are] light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.

Fruit of the Spirit, when we study each of the individual items listed, we see that they all individually, and collectively, describe a set of character traits that, together, form a character-based life that is akin to the fullness of the stature of Christ Jesus.

Now, as with any house, to build one, one must possess the building materials from which to construct the house. This is very much akin to what it means to be built up from the qualities and traits listed as the fruit of the Spirit; as a follower of Christ in order to then be a functional vessel from which the good works may flow.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

For us to possess the qualities of character defined by the fruit of the Spirit, we must be His "workmanship." How does that happen?

Psalm 127:1 A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.

Any work that is worthwhile, and therefore good, must FIRST originate from the Lord as THE builder of the "house."

Vanity is what we see in men who build by the strength of their own arm and imaginations. They are like strange fires on the altars of sacrifice that the Lord never commanded. It must start with Him, and THEN the good works will have meaningful foundations upon which to build, and that will not shift about as those houses built in upon the shifting desert sands.

Does that help?

MM

Back