Jesus gave to us an absolute revelation as to the first of all the phenomenon and events culminating in the last days before He begins to deal with unbelieving Israel:

Matthew 24:3-8
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you."

There it is! See that? Here is what systematic theology study methods bring to the students, of which we ALL are.

Deception! That is one of the most powerful and most deadly of all tools brought to bare against a believer. In eons past, persecution carved its destructive path through the bloodied bodies of saints, with the blood only giving life to even greater growth of the Church, which is the opposite of what the enemy of our souls wants. Deception, however, is the one thing that derails a believer from pursuing the needed sanctification growth toward the fullness of the stature of Christ Jesus.

And then:

5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.'"

This one verse drives the last nail in the coffin, so to speak. Many of you may be thinking, "Well, if some dude claimed he is the Christ, I would know better!"

Well, that sounds very noble, strong of will and all, but what so many miss is that persecution coupled together with deception makes deception itself that much more effective and powerful! Think about it: Families are starving and homeless, and some dude comes along claiming he can relieve your suffering because he is the Christ, and that he will put an end to ALL the calamities. We all like to think that we would still hold strong in the face of such obvious deception...right?

6 "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet."
7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places."
8 "All these [are] the beginning of sorrows."

In various places is another key point. In other words, famines, pestilences and earthquakes won't necessarily be everywhere, but the suffering of others in other places still has an effect in the minds and hearts of others who are watching the suffering of others from the sidelines, and can serve to make them more fearful for their own well-being, and therefore more prone to giving themselves over to a false messiah.

Setting our minds right now upon the solid rock of knowledge of these things that are to come, THAT is how one girds up his loins in the strength of truth, letting it sink in deeply in the soul, building up resolve in one's heart and mind as we continue to watch for His return for us.

MM

Jesus gave to us an absolute revelation as to the first of all the phenomenon and events culminating in the last days before He begins to deal with unbelieving Israel:

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

There it is! See that? Here is what systematic theology study methods bring to the students, of which we ALL are.

Deception! That is one of the most powerful and most deadly of all tools brought to bare against a believer. In eons past, persecution carved its destructive path through the bloodied bodies of saints, with the blood only giving life to even greater growth of the Church, which is the opposite of what the enemy of our souls wants. Deception, however, is the one thing that derails a believer from pursuing the needed sanctification growth toward the fullness of the stature of Christ Jesus.

And then:

5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.'"

This one verse drives the last nail in the coffin, so to speak. Many of you may be thinking, "Well, if some dude claimed he is the Christ, I would know better!"

Well, that sounds very noble, strong of will and all, but what so many miss is that persecution coupled together with deception makes deception itself that much more effective and powerful! Think about it: Families are starving and homeless, and some dude comes along claiming he can relieve your suffering because he is the Christ, and that he will put an end to ALL the calamities. We all like to think that we would still hold strong in the face of such obvious deception...right?

6 "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet."
7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places."

In various places is another key point. In other words, famines, pestilences and earthquakes won't necessarily be everywhere, but the suffering of others in other places still has an effect in the minds and hearts of others who are watching the suffering of others from the sidelines, and can serve to make them more fearful for their own well-being, and therefore more prone to giving themselves over to a false messiah.

Setting our minds right now upon the solid rock of knowledge of these things that are to come, THAT is how one girds up his loins in the strength of truth, letting it sink in deeply in the soul, building up resolve in one's heart and mind as we continue to watch for His return for us.

MM
100% correct MM.

As you know, I have taught that for years.

Jesus told us of many things that would be taking place, but the 1st thing He said was exactly as you quoted in Matthew 24:5, DECEPTION.

2 Tim. 3:3-4..........
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."
Paul is NOT talking about pagans but He wrote that at the end of the age — in the period just before Jesus returns — large numbers of people in the Body of Christ would be led astray.

Remember — the Holy Spirit didn’t tell us this to scare us, but rather to prepare us so we would not succumb to these devil-inspired tactics to affect the Church in the very last of the last days.

You and I have not spoken on this but obviousely the Holy Spirit has motivated you to this topic and if you will notice, “…will not endure sound doctrine…” (v. 3) right here on our site I have been pounding Bible doctrine now for almost 2 years!

Even now, we can all see this is taking place as many are gravitating toward teaching and preaching that is more motivational and psychological than Bible-based.
Paul unequivocally stated that a generation will arise in the very last days that will reject age-tested truth in favor of teaching that is more in step with the times. According to the Holy Spirit, teachers will appear on the scene in a specific kairos season to satisfy the hankerings of a generation that adheres to the world’s progressive approach. We see that today as WOKE!

What these spiritual leaders teach will appeal to people’s emotions and intellect instead of to the deepest part of their being where actual transformation takes place. Because these teachers will speak what the crowds want to hear, they will enjoy great popularity among this audience of listeners.

MY PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, I thank You that the Holy Spirit warned the Christian community about error seeking to secure a foothold inside the Church in the last of the last days. This motivates me to become even more committed to the solid teaching of the Word of God than ever before in my life. I ask You, Holy Spirit, to help me listen with a discerning ear to what I hear and take into my spiritual ears. What I spiritually digest determines my spiritual health, so please help me consume spiritual teachings that are wholesome and profitable to my spiritual life.

I pray this in Jesus’ name!

And then:

MM
One important note from verse 24: Jesus implies that his elect cannot be deceived (possibly because the elect are the ones most well-versed in Scripture).

One important note from verse 24: Jesus implies that his elect cannot be deceived (possibly because the elect are the ones most well-versed in Scripture).

I don't think I'd go that far in patting the elect on their backs:

Matthew 24:24 "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Mark 13:22 "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

From this Olivet Discourse, one account from Matthew and the other from Mark, it appears that even the elect can be deceived...if not all, at least many...even though the text does not limit it to a mere "many." I think we can all agree that the deceptions will be massively strong in those days where there is no mention of the Church on this earth.

I will admit, however, that there is perhaps room for debate on that from these and other texts. Not a central tenet of doctrine, certainly interesting. Thanks for the comment, BL.

MM

Back