Evil

Hello. I just want to know what the members here think of as acts or signs of evil. And I guess the answers will have a religious component to it, which is fine. You can talk about what you personally feel is evil, or maybe something that happened to you or people you know. Or it could be in an impersonal, abstract sense. Of course, you are also very welcome to list how the bible talks about evil.

Thanks.

And I guess the answers will have a religious component to it, which is fine.
Dear Wan,
In this forum, religious components are unavoidable. :)

This is a subject of historical debate, but I’ll get the ball rolling.

Evil acts are those acts that are morally harmful, sinful or wicked.

It is more complex than this of course, i.e.: evil can be anything that causes harm, particularly, but not exclusively, when intentional, but regardless of moral intentions.

But, to simplify:
Evil is any act or intent that contradicts the nature and/or the Will of God.

Is evil the same for everyone?
Any comments on that?
Dear 2404,

Short answer is yes, it is. On par, evil (sin) is evil no matter the good works one has done.

However I do believe, as perhaps you do, that there is evil and then there is EVIL.

I think that we are ALL not only capable of evil, but we have All committed evil acts, though perhaps some to a lesser degree.

I know I committed more than I care to remember.

Every since the Garden of Eden sin (evil) has had us, and it is in us all.

E.g.: a “white lie” to protect someone (ourselves usually), gossiping about a neighbor or coworker or coveting anthers dog, car or house. These maybe small evils or sins, but WE KNOW they are evil and sinful and I, for one, would prefer not to have to explain them to God directly.

Though these acts maybe small in relation to more heinous acts, nevertheless, they are NOT Gods way.

These are merely my opinions.

Thank you and amen to you Brother 2404.

Evil is the intent is to cause harm whether spiritual spiritual or temporal. This intent is may not be appearant to the evil do-er (intent being in the inner - not conscious mind).

The harm is the underlying point of evil, rather than evil being a byproduct of some other aim.

Evil actively attempts to thwart efforts to overcome it. Its long term aim is to oppose good, particularly in ways that spreads its nature wide.

I would also point out that while we must learn to recognize and learn how to follow our Lord to combat evil, our minds should be focused on the other side of the ledger (the things of our Lord).

Colossians 3:1-2 (NASB)
1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

And thank you brother for your considerate reply.
Do you agree then that evil is more a condition than an action? Though conditions act out WHO they are.
So then could the only real sin be unbelief since Jesus paid the price for our redemption, and to reject that...
Does Jesus not say on occasion 'go and sin no more? How could that be?
Was he not then talking about a condition?
Again, thank you for your reply.

Do you agree then that evil is more a condition than an action?

Individual actions we call sin (e.g. breaking any of the commandments) are only manifestations of a single underlying separateness from God.

Evil is the same dynamic - The underlying condition that gives rise to sin.

I would contrast evil with wicked. Evil's aim is to change creation, moving it away from our Lord's will. Wicked's aim is selfish, looking inward (I do not submit to God's law). Evil uses wickedness, but is more pervasive.

So then could the only real sin be unbelief since Jesus paid the price for our redemption, and to reject that...
Individual actions we recognize as sins are symptoms. The Cross & Resurrection are the remedy for the underlying disease. To receive the medicine, we must believe in the medicine.
Does Jesus not say on occasion 'go and sin no more? How could that be?
Sinning is habitual. Just as addictive chemicals are combated by _not_ succumbing (and this is easier said than done) the cycle of sin is combated by doing the will of God.
Was he not then talking about a condition?
He was talking about the symptoms of our sinful nature. He knows that we will not be wholly successful until we are raised, but our sin must be combated now.

Hello. I just want to know what the members here think of as acts or signs of evil. And I guess the answers will have a religious component to it, which is fine. You can talk about what you personally feel is evil, or maybe something that happened to you or people you know. Or it could be in an impersonal, abstract sense. Of course, you are also very welcome to list how the bible talks about evil.

Thanks.
Evil is simply the absence of good. Where goodness is rare, evil abounds. Look around.

Individual actions we call sin (e.g. breaking any of the commandments) are only manifestations of a single underlying separateness from God.

Evil is the same dynamic - The underlying condition that gives rise to sin.

I would contrast evil with wicked. Evil's aim is to change creation, moving it away from our Lord's will. Wicked's aim is selfish, looking inward (I do not submit to God's law). Evil uses wickedness, but is more pervasive.

Individual actions we recognize as sins are symptoms. The Cross & Resurrection are the remedy for the underlying disease. To receive the medicine, we must believe in the medicine.

Sinning is habitual. Just as addictive chemicals are combated by _not_ succumbing (and this is easier said than done) the cycle of sin is combated by doing the will of God.

He was talking about the symptoms of our sinful nature. He knows that we will not be wholly successful until we are raised, but our sin must be combated now.
I agree with you. My questions were rhetoric. If I was to take you up on anything it would be on your last statement 'that our sins must be combats now.' I expect that you agree that the sin issue has already been dealt with we just need to yield to it - become Christ like - which won't be fully realized until the change - but until then 'enter into the rest.

I think there is sin, and then there's evil. All evil is sin but not all sin is evil. It all depends. Disobeying God is a sin, but may not be evil. Like for instance if something is a sin but you are unaware it's a sin. You may be a nice person and be unaware you are sinning. You're not evil.
Evil to me is someone like a serial killer. Someone who commits mass murder. Stuff like that is evil.
Telling a lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings is a sin but not evil. Killing or harming multiple people is evil.
If all sin was evil, we'd all be evil, even Christians, because we all sin.

I think there is sin, and then there's evil. All evil is sin but not all sin is evil. It all depends. Disobeying God is a sin, but may not be evil. Like for instance if something is a sin but you are unaware it's a sin. You may be a nice person and be unaware you are sinning. You're not evil.
Evil to me is someone like a serial killer. Someone who commits mass murder. Stuff like that is evil.s
Telling a lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings is a sin but not evil. Killing or harming multiple people is evil.
If all sin was evil, we'd all be evil, even Christians, because we all sin.
VL, Good points and I would generally agree, but there's always something like this...

Matthew 7:11 (KJV) If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Oh, also welcome to CFS :)

What a great topic with thoughtful and interesting answers.

What is interesting in Mathew 7:11 is that back then, people ACTUALLY KNEW they were evil!

Were the crowd who Jesus addressed all serial killers or something? Because I thought evil was different than sin. I assumed evil was something we do when we knowingly hurt another for no reason other than to see them suffer( but not as revenge).

Were the crowd who Jesus addressed all serial killers or something? Because I thought evil was different than sin. I assumed evil was something we do when we knowingly hurt another for no reason other than to see them suffer( but not as revenge).
Great thoughts and insights! Good to see you back Via dolarossa.

Personal musings on sin and evil:

In its Biblical use sin is the transgression of the law, God’s law. Outside of the church the word “sin” is not used often I think because, for most people, “sin”speaks clearly of our personal responsibility to God and His laws.

NASB
1 John 3:4
4 “Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness”.

A question:
Is lawlessness evil?

Depends perhaps?

Truly, evil has a broader definition and not all that is evil is sinful. For example disease and pestilence are evil, but they are not necessarily sins.

If not in dictionaries, certainly in the church, evil does include sin, but it definitely means much more. It covers calamities, diseases, death, disasters, and perhaps most importantly, the the works of the dark one.

This is why I feel there is evil and there is EVIL.

God Bless you and those you love.

Granted, a very interesting topic.
Skimming over the NT, I found the vast majority of the instances where 'evil' was used it was used as an adjective e.g. 'an evil conscience' Heb 10:32; 'evil thoughts' Jam 2:4; 'evil work' Jam 3:16; etc.

I also followed the Law of First Mention and found an interesting verse...

Genesis 2:9 (KJV) And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Finding it interesting that evil is contrasted with good in its first mention.

Last edited:
What I don’t get is why bother putting the tree in the garden in the first place.

He knew we would eat from it and sin He knew we would suffer and die, but He’s God and if I knew something was dangerous to my children I would keep it out of reach.

Of course, God knows why he planted it and everything He does is perfect but I can’t help but wonder…

What I don’t get is why bother putting the tree in the garden in the first place.

He knew we would eat from it and sin He knew we would suffer and die, but He’s God and if I knew something was dangerous to my children I would keep it out of reach.

Of course, God knows why he planted it and everything He does is perfect but I can’t help but wonder…
There are so many theories about this ranging from 'it gave mankind the ability to show God love through the exercise of his (mankind's) free will' to 'God is sovereign and is working all things out for the best for His elect'.

Personally...it's above my paygrade.

I used to wonder that too, then the thought occurred to me that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was not any kind of special tree. I believe it was one of the many normal ordinary trees He planted. He just singled out one and said don't eat of it. Not because the tree itself was evil or tainted but simply because He said so. They needed a commandment to break in order to have free will/choice. In order to choose obedience or disobedience/sin. Like if you take a bag of candy and pour it out on the table and then set one random piece aside and tell someone you can eat any of the candy except that one piece. I think God just chose one random tree and said don't eat of that one. The damage was not in the tree or fruit itself, but in the obedience or disobedience. That random tree became the moment of truth, will you choose obedience or disobedience. That's why it became the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The tree of life was the tree of blessing, the other path, if they had chosen obedience. That tree/path became blocked off once they chose disobedience. So i don't think He planted a special kind of different tree for the tree of knowledge. It was just an ordinary tree. That's what I think. I might be wrong, but I think that's what it was. :)

Back