How can we characterize denominational-ism?

Please keep in mind the distinctive of "-ism," which points to the phenomenon and its outcome, not that denominations themselves are all bad.

The phenomenon has some of these defining characteristics as what we may refer to as 'unintended consequences.'

1) It has fostered division, which far too much of the time is praised as a good thing by some or many.
2) This phenomenon epitomizes differing groups of ecclesiastical and doctrinal differences.
3) This phenomenon also gravitates toward traditions, as was the tendency among the Jews, and thus focusing more upon those traditions than upon scripture.
4) It engenders various levels of a spirit of competitive, and even adversarial, rivalry in the place of unity under the Headship of Christ Jesus.
5) It also assists in fooling its followers into accept that they are right in holding to the idea of the freedom to differ on major, doctrinal points as a healthy image to project out into the world around us.

We've all heard the mantra of, "Well, we differ on minor, peripheral teachings, but hold to the core, defining, central tenets of Christianity. Some have even published lists of what are essential, central doctrines that must be upheld in order to determine which denominations are in the 'club' and which are not.

Granted, there are outliers that hold to doctrines that define a Jesus completely unknown to the scriptures, justified on the basis of the power and strength of traditions and men authorized to stand in the place of the One, TRUE Christ among us rather than to recognize the fact that Christ Jesus promised He would never leave nor forsake the Church.

Therefore, the thought of men standing in the place of Christ, the very One who promised to never leave nor forsake us, is utterly foreign to the scriptures; for the Lord never once said He would send men to stand in His place...the very Lord who said of Himself, "...I am the good shepherd..."

Thoughts?

How can we characterize denominational-ism?

Please keep in mind the distinctive of "-ism," which points to the phenomenon and its outcome, not that denominations themselves are all bad.

The phenomenon has some of these defining characteristics as what we may refer to as 'unintended consequences.'

1) It has fostered division, which far too much of the time is praised as a good thing by some or many.
2) This phenomenon epitomizes differing groups of ecclesiastical and doctrinal differences.
3) This phenomenon also gravitates toward traditions, as was the tendency among the Jews, and thus focusing more upon those traditions than upon scripture.
4) It engenders various levels of a spirit of competitive, and even adversarial, rivalry in the place of unity under the Headship of Christ Jesus.
5) It also assists in fooling its followers into accept that they are right in holding to the idea of the freedom to differ on major, doctrinal points as a healthy image to project out into the world around us.

We've all heard the mantra of, "Well, we differ on minor, peripheral teachings, but hold to the core, defining, central tenets of Christianity. Some have even published lists of what are essential, central doctrines that must be upheld in order to determine which denominations are in the 'club' and which are not.

Granted, there are outliers that hold to doctrines that define a Jesus completely unknown to the scriptures, justified on the basis of the power and strength of traditions and men authorized to stand in the place of the One, TRUE Christ among us rather than to recognize the fact that Christ Jesus promised He would never leave nor forsake the Church.

Therefore, the thought of men standing in the place of Christ, the very One who promised to never leave nor forsake us, is utterly foreign to the scriptures; for the Lord never once said He would send men to stand in His place...the very Lord who said of Himself, "...I am the good shepherd..."

Thoughts?

This is exactly why I have been a Southern Baptist. The SBC, as far as I know, comes closer to Bible doctrine than any other denomination, and yet it is not perfect either.

Then, brother, I would encourage you and all others build something that is perfect. The word of God is perfect, no matter what doctrinal creed we may try to develop from it.

What I mean is, with Christ Jesus in the limelight, and functioning as the Head of each and every gathering of believers, its distance from perfection is gauged only by the degree that men try to govern it and steal from the populace of believers in the very place their God-breathed birthright to function together as the Lord was intended.

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

The filters through which this is seen are some of the ugliest and most pathetic color imaginable. Every grouping seems to have an excuse as to whey they are not doing this. After all, it's just one verse, right? We can see the programmatic approach all throughout the NT.....or not!

See that? Groups always claim they are Bible-based, and yet don't live by what that Bible says. They do, in practice, what is contrary to the word of God they claim to love, justifying it with claims such as, "Well, we have home groups for that..." What a cheesy cop-out! relegating the importance of each one engaging in mutual edification in the main gathering, and disallowing it by replacing the heritage of the believer in Christ with the false god of 'order' and what they say is 'decency." What could be more decent than to allow the believers to function as the Book they claim to believe commands?

But, I also recognize that we here in the West are far too stiff-necked to ever change the paradigm. The god of the program is the god that rules the hearts of men who covet the limelight, and will even say, "I'm simply doing what I was hired to do."

This gives to us the contrast between the hireling and the shepherd.

I don't mean to be harsh and unloving in the sound of my words, but some things just need to be said. I love you all no matter if you are in the camp of Biblical-consistency or are glued to the seat on the institutional model bandwagon. Christ is Lord, and He alone is the judge.

MM

Back