Contradictions In The Bible???

Hey Major, you seem to have missed my point. When discussing inerrancy of Scripture, we need to take into consideration the fact that since not one of the original 'autographs' are available to us, we are left with just several commentaries to guide us. By my use of the word 'commentaries', I am merely recognizing that many people have undertaken to translate what they believe to be the most reliable source texts for us to study. The proof that these many versions of the 'inerrant' word of God are more commentary than they are original is found in the variety of and diversity of the original inerrancy. My point was I thought, fairly illustrated by the commentary supplied by the NIV an example of which is to be found by reading Deut 22:28,29. Now the context of that passage is consensual sexual relations between two (presumably) adult persons.
The NIV however injects a totally different meaning into that passage by the use of the word 'rape'.

Try explaining to an eight year old rape victim that Jesus expects her to marry her assailant, cook his meals, mend and launder his cloths, clean house, have his children and any other wifely duties that might be considered appropriate.
So allow me please to ask the question again: Is the rendering of Deut 22:28,29 by the Niv, the inerrant word of God?

That is why I asked you how you would defend the Niv as being the inerrant word of God.
That is why I refer to the Bible versions today as commentary.
I too (obviously) do not use the Niv, and like you, I mostly read the ESV.
Unlike some, I rely heavily on the Holy Spirit to teach me what the Lord wants me to understand as truth just as I'm sure you do also.

Major, I am not being critical of you, I'm just being critical of the elevation of various versions to the status of inerrancy.
What might be better stated, and prone to generate less misunderstanding would be if the various versions were considered commentary on the inerrant word of God.
Again, look at the Niv and the inexcusable rendering of that passage from Deuteronomy to be found within.
Sorry if you didn't understand my point earlier.

I understand. I thought you wanted a defense of the NIV's Deut. 22 which is appaling IMO.
I really can not defend the NIV calvin just for the reason you just posted. I do not think it can be defended my friend which is why I do not use it.

I understand. I thought you wanted a defense of the NIV's Deut. 22 which is appaling IMO.
I really can not defend the NIV calvin just for the reason you just posted. I do not think it can be defended my friend which is why I do not use it.
What translation do you use, I don't use any one translation, I don't even own a bible. I just go to bible gateway and also google meanings of words when english translations go all.....

What translation do you use, I don't use any one translation, I don't even own a bible. I just go to bible gateway and also google meanings of words when english translations go all.....
Talking about something diffrent, have you noticed how no one says, "just yahoo it" everyone says "just google it"

Got to do some grocery shopping soon, so haven't much time, but here are two: You and I would agree that it is correct to call God "Father", yet in what real sense is he actually a father? If one believes in a god like the Greeks and Romans, then one has a crazy pantheon of gods who scramble around having sex with humans, as well as attractive goddesses like Aphrodite and even Athena: they literally are fathers in the real earthly sense. But God/Elohim/Yahweh is not that kind of God. C.S. Lewis expounds clearly and eloquently on this in one of his books, and points out that the family-like relationship between the persons of the godhead is as close to human understanding as we can get, but that, like the Apostle Paul said after seeing something of what heaven itself was like, there simply are no words to describe it. In the end, when it comes to describing God, words simply fail.

Here's another: Jesus is seated at the right hand of God. Is that all there is to it? There are two big divine armchairs sitting somewhere in the heavens, and God is sitting in one, and Jesus is sitting in the other? To insist that that is actually the case, you would be in disagreement with every interpreter, commentator and scholar of scripture, whether Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox or any other stripe for the past 2,000 years. The meaning, like so many of the profound teachings of scripture, has more than one thrust. First, remember that there were no chairs either in the tabernacle or the Holy of Holies. That's important: it's because the work of the priests was never done. Day after day, year after year, the priests offered up sacrifices to cover the sins of the people. But when Christ came, and completed the dreadful, redeeming work of the New Covenant, which according to Paul is a better covenant than the old one, there was finally no more work to be done. Thus, we are reminded in a number of places that Christ is now "seated in that heavenlies". He is seated, because the work of redemption is complete. No one needs to stand and slit the throat of another sheep and put the blood on the ark of the covenant. Not ever again. It doesn't mean that he has been literally seated for the last 2,000 years, developing phlebitis and other problems, until he finally groans and gets up to come to earth in his final, triumphant ushering in of the kingdom.

Second, being seated at the right hand of God is the greatest honor; it tells us something of what God himself says about the place of his Son in the kingdom.

Finally, are you completely adamant about the parables of Jesus all being literally true stories? Because that is likely a totally new interpretation not ever offered by any theologian. I am very wary of totally novel interpretations that no one has ever thought of before. Much trouble has come to the church when we ignore the collective wisdom of thousands of Christian teachers, particularly when all those teachers are in agreement across all the lines of various Faiths for two millenia. Although I haven't read every theologian who ever commented on the parables, I think it's safe to say that none of them believe that those stories are literally true.

Got to go for now.
Theo

Your argument is not with me but with the Scriptures themselves my dear brother.

Phillipians 1:2
"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ".

Romans 1:7
"To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ".

Concerning the Father Jesus taught:
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God isSpirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:23-24).​
Do not labor for the food which pererishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." (John 6:27).​

God the Father is the first Author of our salvation; God the Son, the Word made flesh, brought the message of peace from heaven, and reconciled us to God.

All biblical writers and all theologians I am aware of, believe that the Father was and is God.

To say as you state.................
"Jesus is seated at the right hand of God. Is that all there is to it? There are two big divine armchairs sitting somewhere in the heavens, and God is sitting in one, and Jesus is sitting in the other".

You are making the classic error of forcing what you want to believe into what is actually said my friend.

Hebrews 12:2 tells us...........
"Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

You seem to be preoccupied by what others say or do not say so allow me to post what Dr. John Gill has to say about "The right hand of God".

"And is set down at the right hand of the throne of God";
Which is in heaven; and is expressive of the majesty and glory of God; and of the honour done to Christ in human nature, which is not granted to any of the angels: here Christ sits as God's fellow, as equal to him, as God, and as having done his work as man, and Mediator; and this may assure us, that when we have run out our race, we shall sit down too, with Christ upon his throne, and be at rest.

This is NOT about an arm chair or any other such thoughts. It is about "Positional Sanctification".

Rev. Ray Stedham says of Hebrews 12:2.......
"You can find strength to begin in Jesus, you can venture out and start this life of faith today in him. You also discover strength to continue. He is not "up there" somewhere. As this book has made clear, he is within us, by faith. If we have received Jesus Christ, he dwells within. He has entered into the sanctuary, into the inner man, into the place where we need strength, and is available every moment for me. Therefore, in Christ, I have all that it takes to meet life."

As for the parabels of Jesus being true explinations of real events.

Your comment was..........
"Although I haven't read every theologian who ever commented on the parables, I think it's safe to say that none of them believe that those stories are literally true."

Have you read Augustines explination of the Good Samaritine? He states that.............
The travelling man = Adam
Jerusalem = the heavenly city of peace from which Adam fell
Jericho = the moon, representing Adam’s mortality
Thieves = the devil and his angels
Stripped him = robbed him of his immortality
Beat him = by persuading him to sin
Left him half-dead = half-dead because he is alive physically but dead spiritually
Priest and Levite = the priesthood and ministry of the Old Testament
Samaritan = Christ (he says the word means “Guardian”)
Bound his wounds = binding the restraint of sin
Oil = comfort of good hope
Wine = exhortation to work with a fervent spirit
Beast = the body of Christ’s incarnation
Inn = the church
Tomorrow = after the Resurrection
Two-pence = promise of this life and the life to come
Innkeeper = Paul
Two-pence = promise of this life and the life to come.
(copied from....www.searchingthescriptures.net/.../a_study_guide_of-parables.htm)

Some have explained the word parable as a story by which something real in life is used as a means of presenting a moral teaching. Some have said that a parable puts the known next to the unknown so that we can learn from it. I like both of those. I am not distressed that you have never heard of parables being explained as real events, but it seems to me that they are stories taken from everyday human experiences and at times from nature as well. I have read from Dr. Oliver B. Green, Dr. Edward Hinson and Dr. Harold Wilmington and their thinking is that perhaps the most simple definition of all is that a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

It is a blessing to talk with you.

Hello my brother..........

I have copies of most translations.

I use the ESV, KJV and NKJV as well as the Hollman translation now.

I agree that it is a lot quicker and easier to just use the computer but being older now I am rooted in what I have always done.

Hello my brother..........

I have copies of most translations.

I use the ESV, KJV and NKJV as well as the Hollman translation now.

I agree that it is a lot quicker and easier to just use the computer but being older now I am rooted in what I have always done.
Major, do you think people see you as some kind of fundementalist christian. Do you speak strictly and in a literal way because you really believe thats right or because of this enviroment your in. Are you the same here as you are in 3d land and who are you rev3lations to ask such questions.

You know what I love the most in people, when they show there weakness and when they are vulnerable. Because then I know they will understand me.

I'm speechless, ...I apologize friend, I see how my responses would seem condemning and hard to you.

May I humbly say, you need a personal Bible to have a personal walk with the Lord, we furnish the teenagers with Bibles and teach them how to read through their Bible , cover to cover every year, that is the way we hear His voice on a personal level, yes we can hear His voice through church services, or other media, but it's not the same as hearing directly or personally from Him, we teach that in our personal devotion time He will give us "life verses," verses that direct us in what He has for us, what He knows to be best for us, when decisions need to be made, ...everything concerning our lives.

Please, if you will PM me with your address I will send you a Bible today.

Blessings,

Gene

I'm speechless, ...I apologize friend, I see how my responses would seem condemning and hard to you.

May I humbly say, you need a personal Bible to have a personal walk with the Lord, we furnish the teenagers with Bibles and teach them how to read through their Bible , cover to cover every year, that is the way we hear His voice on a personal level, yes we can hear His voice through church services, or other media, but it's not the same as hearing directly or personally from Him, we teach that in our personal devotion time He will give us "life verses," verses that direct us in what He has for us, what He knows to be best for us, when decisions need to be made, ...everything concerning our lives.

Blessings,

Gene
I'm shutting up now.

Major, do you think people see you as some kind of fundementalist christian. Do you speak strictly and in a literal way because you really believe thats right or because of this enviroment your in. Are you the same here as you are in 3d land and who are you rev3lations to ask such questions.

You know what I love the most in people, when they show there weakness and when they are vulnerable. Because then I know they will understand me.

Question was..............
"Major, do you think people see you as some kind of fundementalist christian."

Lord I hope so!! What could be any better than that? But in fact I do not care what people think. I am not living my life for people but allowing the Lord Jesus to live through me. I hope people see me as simply someone interested in their eternal security and willing to try and explain the Scriptures for thier edification. But of course that is their choice.

Question was.............
"Do you speak strictly and in a literal way because you really believe thats right or because of this enviroment your in.

YES.
My 1st step of understanding the Scriptures is to apply the "literal filter" and then move on from there.
2 Tim. 3:16-17
"ALL
Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be throughly equipped for every good work".

Carl F.H. Henry says........."The Bible's life breath as a literary deposit is divine".

The question once again should not be directed at me but to whether YOU believe the Scriptures or not. Is 2 Tim. 3:16 true or is it false.????

I would suggest that no New Test. author would ever have conceived of the possibility of a book's being classified as Scripture YET NOT INSPIRED by God and that is my position as well.

Now as for the enviroment I live in. I am assuming you are referring to where I live. I live in Florida now. I have lived in or been to Vietnam, Cambodia, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Hatie, Dom. Republic, Nicaragua, Panama and Uganda.
The answer again is YES. I am what I am no matter where I am.
The truth of God's Word does not depend on ones location.

The question was............
"who are you rev3lations to ask such questions."

I do not understand your question. What questions are you talking about?????

Who am I????/ Exactly what you are........a dirty, lowdown sinner., saved by grace and kept in God's love. No more no less.

Blessings,

Gene

YES.......as will I!!!!

There seems to be confusion: literalism seems to be wrongly define solely as verbatim…

Biblical literalism does includes parables, allegorical…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism
"The essence of this approach focuses upon the author's intent as the primary meaning of the text.[4] Literal interpretation does place emphasis upon the referential aspect of the words or terms in the text. It does not, however, mean a complete denial of literary aspects, genre, or figures of speech within the text (e.g., parable, allegory, simile, or metaphor)…."

There seems to be confusion: literalism seems to be wrongly define solely as verbatim…

Biblical literalism does includes parables, allegorical…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism
"The essence of this approach focuses upon the author's intent as the primary meaning of the text.[4] Literal interpretation does place emphasis upon the referential aspect of the words or terms in the text. It does not, however, mean a complete denial of literary aspects, genre, or figures of speech within the text (e.g., parable, allegory, simile, or metaphor)…."

You are correct and it has been explained about 100 times me thinks.

Biblical Literalism is the belief that the Bible is to be taken literally, unless the text is written metaphorically, even poetically, for example, "wings as eagles" or a "heart like a rock". There are several main reasons why the Bible should be interpreted literally, and they are based on simple logic. but 1st and foremost is that according to the Bible, God cannot lie. If he can lie, than He ceases to be God.

Perhaps we spend too much time putting God into our 'human box' when we should be exploring getting out of the box ourselves?

NO MAN (person) can comprehend the fullness of God.

Question was..............
"Major, do you think people see you as some kind of fundementalist christian."

Lord I hope so!! What could be any better than that? But in fact I do not care what people think. I am not living my life for people but allowing the Lord Jesus to live through me. I hope people see me as simply someone interested in their eternal security and willing to try and explain the Scriptures for thier edification. But of course that is their choice.

Question was.............
"Do you speak strictly and in a literal way because you really believe thats right or because of this enviroment your in.

YES.
My 1st step of understanding the Scriptures is to apply the "literal filter" and then move on from there.
2 Tim. 3:16-17
"ALL
Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be throughly equipped for every good work".

Carl F.H. Henry says........."The Bible's life breath as a literary deposit is divine".

The question once again should not be directed at me but to whether YOU believe the Scriptures or not. Is 2 Tim. 3:16 true or is it false.????

I would suggest that no New Test. author would ever have conceived of the possibility of a book's being classified as Scripture YET NOT INSPIRED by God and that is my position as well.

Now as for the enviroment I live in. I am assuming you are referring to where I live. I live in Florida now. I have lived in or been to Vietnam, Cambodia, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Hatie, Dom. Republic, Nicaragua, Panama and Uganda.
The answer again is YES. I am what I am no matter where I am.
The truth of God's Word does not depend on ones location.

The question was............
"who the hell are you rev3lations to ask such questions."

I do not understand your question. What questions are you talking about?????

Who am I????/ Exactly what you are........a dirty, lowdown sinner., saved by grace and kept in God's love. No more no less.
I used to believe that, but I am starting to see theres more good about people if you just look.

YES.......as will I!!!!

I don't need bibles, I need one sqaure meal every day, I don't need bibles I need afforable housing to live in, I don't need bibles I need my bills payed when I fall behind, I don't need bibles I need ties with my family repaired.

And don't say just look up because I have done that and that does not work.

I don't need bibles, I need one sqaure meal every day, I don't need bibles I need afforable housing to live in, I don't need bibles I need my bills payed when I fall behind, I don't need bibles I need ties with my family repaired.

And don't say just look up because I have done that and that does not work.

@ Rev3: Could I share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with you?

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles
Just tell me what you really think about jesus and your understanding of the gospel.

I believe the Bible is truth through faith; I believe that Jesus Christ is a real person-the Living Son of the Living God. We are living in a time of Faith; the time of grand miracles, judges and prophets and priests passed away at the Rejection of Jesus Christ by the Jews.

I believe that although we are currently separated from God, we will be reunited in 'eternity'/ the life after this one. We were created with free will so that we could decide whether or not we wanted to follow God. God is not the God of force-although He does have the Power to do what He wills.

I believe because when I realized I was sinner separated from God; I needed a Savior. I realized I was unworthy and nothing I could do would ever get me a ticket into heaven. Then I heard the Gospel with open ears at age 30 and realized that the 'Gospel' -the Good News was that the price was already paid and a loving God was reaching down to me through His Son. All I had to do was accept it-so I did.

And in my heart something changed; I had a desire to learn about the God I thought I knew as the Old Testament ogre. When I realized that our God is Holy, and cannot be part of Sin-this is the cause of separation. But It was His desire from the beginning to give His creation life and liberty.

I used to think what the world told me was truth; but when truth reached my heart my eyes were open to the deception around me. There is a better way to live. It is through Christ, it is seeing the True God in the Bible.

I don't claim to understand it all; but I know one thing-Jesus Christ-Our God in Flesh-is the way, the truth, and the life as He said.

Back