Contradictions In The Bible???

Ill just end my last post saying, most of you act as if your saved and heaven bound. But don't forget jesus said, many said lord lord but did not enter. Don't you all say lord lord?

So how do you really know you have enterd if those that don't also say lord lord.

Good question. I'd say the key difference is in attitude. Those who say Lord Lord, set forth their own perceived accomplishments.
Didn't we prophesy,and do all sorts of clever things in your name? (You're lucky to have had us on your team)
Those who pass muster have a very different attitude. The way I see it, a person knows what his attitude is.

You're right, but I have given christianity 13 years. Been going to christian forums for a long time and this love christians claim only they have is a lie.

All the time I spent in christian forums really opened my eyes to all the judgmental fundemental bible thumping my brand of faith is true B S and its here too.

I just came here to make sure I wanted to leave and you will end up doing the same thing if you ever leave christianity.

Let me put it this way so you will understand how hard it is to leave jesus.

Lets say you were a adopted child and you never knew who your real family were, then one day out of the blue a man shows up and tells you he is your real father. You however are so overwelmed that your real father has showed up you take him at his word and because you feel such a great weight has been lifted off your life you accept him strait away.

Things go really well for a while but soon enough this man starts tellings you strange things about his past and why he is here, you shrug it off and say, its just my father but he still loves me. As more time goes on this man starts demanding that you invite him to all your family and friends, so you do because well he is your father and because you think it will be good if everyone meets him.

But it does not stop there, he gets more demanding asking you your family and your friends for all there time and money and to do exactly what he says. Then some of your friends start telling you that your father has been leaving threats on there answering machine telling them if they don't do what he says he will burn them alive.

From here you are conflicted, you love your father so much and you lost him once and you don't want to lose him again.

What do you do?

Well the first thing I did is find out if this man really was my father.

I understand what you mean Rev., but the fact is that many Christian forums often attract people from the 'fringes' that don't always represent mainstream Christianity. Many of them are people who would never be given a chance to speak and spread their views in a real church, so they turn to online forums to have a platform to air their views. I hope you won't judge all Christians by online forums. That isn't necessarily a good sampling on many sites.

I'm afraid I have to disagree Ban, we have reached out in love to this person in numerous different threads, we have given him the Gospel, we have appealed to him through the love of Christ and we have "dangled him over the Flames, we have thrown numerous "hooks" to try and find a way to reach him, to comfort him and he has rejected all of them, ...now, on the other side, he says he doesn't own a Bible, but he is well versed in the Christian "hot spots," has intelligence of the wordily ways of dealing with problems, he changes the subject when pushed into a corner to make a logically/rational decision, he is making his choice time and time again, if he was hurting that much he would be looking for help not debate, if there is that much pride that has to be broken then God will have to do it because we can't, ...me thinks were are being played, ...if he is one of the elect God will deal with him in His time, if not then..., it's sad, very sad, but I see it daily.

We are just messengers, we aren't responsible for the outcome, that is always between the person and God, I know it sounds cold, but it's true, Jesus was a Man of sorrows, well acquainted with grief and in instances like this so are we (being conformed into His image), my hands are free of this man's blood so what I will do is go to Jesus with this and seek peace and comfort for my grief from Him.

Gene

I have to agree with Gene. I have only been a silent observer in all this, but it seems to me
that Rev has the attitude "been there, done that - didn't work for me".
He has downplayed or disagreed with just about every pointed comment made.
And no, no sane person loves God because they fear Hell. Why would I fear a place I will never see?
I take Christ at His word. If you don't take Christ at His word, you are not a Christian.

He did have that attitude, and he did downplay and disagree. Of course he did, he hasn't been transformed, he doesn't know the Joy that we are supposed to know, claim to know. If people claiming Christ can't go a day without bickering, how can we expect someone who doesn't own a Bible, and is only conflicted with what he has heard to chose a path? He was a soul that has not actually been reached. Instead of being treated as such, he was treated as an enemy. Now, don't get me wrong, there were some very nice attempts to reach out to him. I stayed out of the discussion mostly because of that. I did not want different doctrines or views to cloud the issue of Salvation. And still, the air feels very bitter right now. I"m not picking on anyone here as I make every attempt NOT to look at user names when topics start going in this direction, but many of the comments I saw were made with swords held high in battle and not in the nature of showing someone what it really means to Love, when he stated clearly that was EXACTLY what was turning him off to Christianity. That makes me sad. We cannot argue anyone into Heaven, we can only show them the truth. It is up to them to accept it or reject it. Most reject it at first, even those that eventually accept it. I don't blame him for leaving. If I had been treated like this when I first came to Christ, I would have left as well. In fact, I did...many times. Fortunately, God kept coming after me even when I rejected Him and resented Him. Hopefully he will find the same peace I found.

He needed to be reached. Instead, the much less important issues were made prominent. As far as I'm concerned, that is what the Pharisees did. Sure, he tried to make them prominent, but at best, many were baited into a very unworthy debate when much more important things were at stake. I can only pray that someday, he will be reached.

I feel as though he was reached Ban. Coming to Christ is a two street. We shared, explained, and testified. He on the other hand had already made up his mind as to what he was going to do. He has a lot more going on than coming to Christ or anything that can be done on an internet forum. He needs some time with someone who can lead him out of the darkness that his soul has sunk into.
Love was addressed, Christ was expoused and heaven was recommended. I really don't know what else could have been done.

I understand what you mean Rev., but the fact is that many Christian forums often attract people from the 'fringes' that don't always represent mainstream Christianity. Many of them are people who would never be given a chance to speak and spread their views in a real church, so they turn to online forums to have a platform to air their views. I hope you won't judge all Christians by online forums. That isn't necessarily a good sampling on many sites.

Now that is perseptive my brother. Some of the things I read here should not be said in a children's Sunday School class.

What WAS done was good. Much of what was said was very, very good. People reached out and that is excellent. People showed love and that was phenomenal. Even if only the good was done, I suspect that he would have still walked away. His heart just wasn't in it, and without the heart, the mind cannot follow. I'm more disturbed by the extra that was done. People also showed offense. I don't understand why there is such a philosophy of being "right" and so little about being respectful and exercising simple courtesy. In the end, nobody cares how right you think you are, or even how right you actually happen to be. If you can't show respect and love, you cannot expect others to want to follow your example or be persuaded by your overly passionate argument.

Now that is perseptive my brother. Some of the things I read here should not be said in a children's Sunday School class.

... or an Adult Sunday School class...or even in some fortunately rare occasions, outside of a loony bin or in the presence of civilized people.

What WAS done was good. Much of what was said was very, very good. People reached out and that is excellent. People showed love and that was phenomenal. Even if only the good was done, I suspect that he would have still walked away. His heart just wasn't in it, and without the heart, the mind cannot follow. I'm more disturbed by the extra that was done. People also showed offense. I don't understand why there is such a philosophy of being "right" and so little about being respectful and exercising simple courtesy. In the end, nobody cares how right you think you are, or even how right you actually happen to be. If you can't show respect and love, you cannot expect others to want to follow your example or be persuaded by your overly passionate argument.

It is called "arrogance" Ban. Having to be right in every situation is a psycological problem which is rooted IMO in pride.

The Bible says in Proverbs that "to have friends, one must be friendly".

I agree absolutely my brother!

Being a moderator here is like being a general at an adult day care center......IMO.

If it was only here, I'd say we should just close our doors. I've seen it worse in other places. A few sites have become legendary in the way they should be avoided. It's all part of leadership. While I am often disappointed by the lack of compassion and respect shown by members here, the reality is that I see much the same thing in my own ministry. Oddly enough, I see very little of it in the children's and preschool areas, but I see a lot of it in the adults, teens, and college groups. Sometimes, I even see it in the seniors, but that seems to be less and less common these days. I'm sure you've seen similar patterns in your own church, our churches aren't THAT far apart as it is.

Which reminds me, are you going to the Gideon's dinner on the 26th? I should be there with my wife. It would be cool to meet.

If it was only here, I'd say we should just close our doors. I've seen it worse in other places. A few sites have become legendary in the way they should be avoided. It's all part of leadership. While I am often disappointed by the lack of compassion and respect shown by members here, the reality is that I see much the same thing in my own ministry. Oddly enough, I see very little of it in the children's and preschool areas, but I see a lot of it in the adults, teens, and collage groups. Sometimes, I even see it in the seniors, but that seems to be less and less common these days. I'm sure you've seen similar patterns in your own church, our churches aren't THAT far apart as it is.

Which reminds me, are you going to the Gideon's dinner on the 26th? I should be there with my wife. It would be cool to meet.

Yes sir, I most certainly have and it is distressing from sure.

I already said that I think pride is the root because the lack of humility is an attitude of the heart. When God see humility
He sees someone He can entrust His grace. IMO God responds to the humble prayer while the one of pride is like talking to yourself. The lack of humility is where a lot of people are today. Because the offended holds on to the wrong and does not forgive, anger leads to bitterness and pride is free to take over the heart.

I would have loved to do that, I was invited but we had already made plans to be in Cashiers NC for that whole week.

I would have loved to do that!!! Another time??

Yes sir, I most certainly have and it is distressing from sure.

I already said that I think pride is the root because the lack of humility is an attitude of the heart. When God see humility
He sees someone He can entrust His grace. IMO God responds to the humble prayer while the one of pride is like talking to yourself. The lack of humility is where a lot of people are today. Because the offended holds on to the wrong and does not forgive, anger leads to bitterness and pride is free to take over the heart.

I would have loved to do that, I was invited but we had already made plans to be in Cashiers NC for that whole week.

I would have loved to do that!!! Another time??

Yes, that would be most welcome. I'm not often free, but I'm sure time can be found.

Major, if you are going to be in Cashiers, you might be interested in visiting our assembly. It's not too far from Cashiers.

I've been reading the Bible for over 42 years and I have NEVER read a CONTRADICTION. There are some numbering issues, but that is NOT a contradiction. There are some verses that are added or not included, but that is NOT contradiction.
Now if someone says...they Bible doesn't say that, then they have to exegetically prove that based on what the Greek does say. I trust the scholars that have translated the Greek into the modern English versions I use.

Ban I'm not arguing here, but I think the unlearned lurkers or the babes in Christ might need some explanations or comfort in this unfortunate thread, first I agree there is too much bickering going on between supposed brothers that will be spending eternity together in this thread and others too.

This reminds me of the phenomenon on the day of Pentecost, Peter used Scripture to explain what was talking place, so too, we need to explain, with Scripture, what went on here.

God in the Old Testament stated,"All we like sheep have gone astray, we have every one turned to his own way,: Isa 53:6 and Paul states, "There is none that understands, there is none that seek after God," Rom 3:11, so for this man to be even interested in a Christian forum is proof God is working in his life, "All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will in no way cast out," Jn 6:37, "Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me," Jn 14:6 ...he is in a rebellious stage so he can't understand, hence Father will send a breaking into his life and that seems to me is where he is at at this moment from the comments he made about his life, so, lurkers, babes in Christ, scurrilous brothers :D let's put the swords away and add his name to our prayer list, that there be no peace in his life until he surrenders to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and maybe, just maybe, we will all be given a reward for being responsible through prayer for this man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Peace,

Gene

I've been reading the Bible for over 42 years and I have NEVER read a CONTRADICTION. There are some numbering issues, but that is NOT a contradiction. There are some verses that are added or not included, but that is NOT contradiction.
Now if someone says...they Bible doesn't say that, then they have to exegetically prove that based on what the Greek does say. I trust the scholars that have translated the Greek into the modern English versions I use.

Brother, don't trust the scholars too far. You would be shocked if you knew what some of these scholars really believe, or did believe in their days. Charles Briggs who did the Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon denied the virgin birth and was tried by the Presbyterian Church for Heresy. The lexicon reflects his lack of belief in the virgin birth. Thayer, of the famed Thayer's Greek Lexicon, was a Unitarian who denied the inspiration of the scripture. He was on the RV committee in the 1880's. Scholar's personal beliefs affect their interpretation of facts. It is simply human. People often come away believing their errors because they are 'experts'.

And few of them were, or are very objective. Remember the scribes were the 'scholars' of Jesus' day and they didn't have a very great track record. Yeah, consult some of them, but remember that much of what they assert as fact is merely conjecture or opinion.

But, yes I agree that there are no contradictions in scripture. It is infallible, and preserved to us today.

Brother, don't trust the scholars too far. You would be shocked if you knew what some of these scholars really believe, or did believe in their days. Charles Briggs who did the Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon denied the virgin birth and was tried by the Presbyterian Church for Heresy. The lexicon reflects his lack of belief in the virgin birth. Thayer, of the famed Thayer's Greek Lexicon, was a Unitarian who denied the inspiration of the scripture. He was on the RV committee in the 1880's. Scholar's personal beliefs affect their interpretation of facts. It is simply human. People often come away believing their errors because they are 'experts'.

And few of them were, or are very objective. Remember the scribes were the 'scholars' of Jesus' day and they didn't have a very great track record. Yeah, consult some of them, but remember that much of what they assert as fact is merely conjecture or opinion.

But, yes I agree that there are no contradictions in scripture. It is infallible, and preserved to us today.

Thanks, but I did say the MODERN English translations I use, as indicated in my signature.

Back