Confused about judging?

Hi there,
please can you help me out with this?

I read that we are not to judge others, and since reading that I keep trying not to judge other people,

But when I see somebody sin, I worry that I am judging them because I think "oh they just sinned" so I need some help please, how do you not judge others?

""Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned." Luke 6:37

I keep worrying that I am judging people, because for example if somebody I know isn't a Christian, I may think "oh there not a Christian so that's not good", so does that then mean I'm judging them? Sorry I am so confused about this and I don't want to judge anyone anymore :( I am trying to view people as if I didn't know that they sinned so I'm not judging them anymore... it's so confusing!

Hi Alex,

What has helped me over the years is to use the word `discern` when seeing error in comments and when seeing people`s sins. However we are not to pass judgment as a judge saying - you go to jail, and you go free. We don`t have that power. Though in our minds we can condemn others and thus are judging them - off to the pit.

We also don`t have God`s omniscience, (all knowing), so we need to be careful as though we have the whole picture. Plus we are all going through trials and difficulties and each have some things to overcome. Just because we have overcome in one area, and see someone who hasn`t yet overcome in that area, we are not to `wipe them off,` ie. judge them guilty and condemned.

Yes the answer is to pray for each other and in gentleness correct if people will listen to us. However we need to be aware that the same goes for us that the other person should be able to speak into our lives if they see something wrong.

So `discern` error, and try to help, but not to condemn as in judging like in a court.

Hope that helps, Marilyn.

Hi there,
please can you help me out with this?

I read that we are not to judge others, and since reading that I keep trying not to judge other people,

But when I see somebody sin, I worry that I am judging them because I think "oh they just sinned" so I need some help please, how do you not judge others?

""Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned." Luke 6:37

I keep worrying that I am judging people, because for example if somebody I know isn't a Christian, I may think "oh there not a Christian so that's not good", so does that then mean I'm judging them? Sorry I am so confused about this and I don't want to judge anyone anymore :( I am trying to view people as if I didn't know that they sinned so I'm not judging them anymore... it's so confusing!

There is a difference between judging and observing. You can observe conduct and discern whether that conduct is in keeping with Godā€™s Word; if it doesn't, it's sin, and you may certainly speak out against it. On the other hand, judging is deciding someone's eternal destiny and consigning them to hell. That action belongs only to Jesus. Before you ever say or think, "that person is going to hell", think twice because you're judging.

Back