Charity and Taxes

blueskies

Staff member
Helper
Charity and Taxes…

The word charity is often used in scripture to mean love or forbearance. In the present day ‘charity’ often means the act of giving or donating of money, food or clothing to help the needy.

Webster says charity is:
“1 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering
also : aid given to those in need…”

When we donate here in the USA we are often legally entitled to a ‘tax write-off’ or tax deduction on our government mandated taxes if the both the donation and the receiving party meet certain criteria.

In scripture we read:
1 “Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. 2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.”
Matthew 6:1-4 KJV

Is charity still “charity” when taking a tax write off for donations? In other words, although legal, does it violate the spirit or intent of Jesus’s admonition, “… let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. “?

Curious what you think.

I believe God will give you this answer.
I always donate items of use especially to those from the street and or domestic abuse. But then I never think of it again.
Luke 11 give good examples of our behaviour towards others. What we ask to borrow or lend to family and friends
1 Cor.13:3 And though I bestow ALL my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned and have NOT charity, it profiteth me nothing ( context 13 :1-4 ). This kind of " charity " is unique and not from within a man naturally.

Jesus said there is NO GREATER GIFT than to lay down your life for a friend John 15:13 ( context 11-14 ) it will also make our joy full !
1 John 3:16 ( context 14-17 ) love v. 17 this in 1 John mimics John 3 :16 [ the true love of God]

Hello blueskies;

Thank you for sharing Charity and Taxes and referring to Matthew 6:1-4. Jesus' teaching is encouraging us to give purely which God reveals His glory. If we give only out of other motives, in the eyes of God it puts a blemish on our charity or donation.

In my giving, charity is my definition whether monetary (money offering,) things (perishable, nonperishable food or material equipment) or giving of my labor for His Glory.

It's Biblical that commands us to pay our taxes. In some instances of my charity where a tax write off is permitted and legal by our governing authorities, you are free to take it. God allows a write off as a blessing and sustaining charity from our heart doesn't diminish our giving back to the Lord.

What my left doesn't know what my right is doing means not blowing trumpets, as well as the amount of the Lord's provisions and charity giving is personally between the Lord and me.

God bless you, brother and your family.

I suppose one can take what they received from the write-off and place it in the offering plate. That would be a win-win situation.
but then they'll just give it back and tell you can write-off the write-off?

Or does it have to be over a certain amount. I don't know.

I had one thing where a certain church member would only sponsor me for a charity fundraiser if I bought her book. So I had to buy her book at full price and give half of the cost to charity on her behalf. I don't know, I just felt a bit weird about doing that. She then made it seem like I was getting a good deal.

I didn't keep the book after reading it I gave it away. I usually buy books to give away after I read them. I don't tell them how much it cost.

Last edited:
Hello blueskies;

Thank you for sharing Charity and Taxes and referring to Matthew 6:1-4. Jesus' teaching is encouraging us to give purely which God reveals His glory. If we give only out of other motives, in the eyes of God it puts a blemish on our charity or donation.

In my giving, charity is my definition whether monetary (money offering,) things (perishable, nonperishable food or material equipment) or giving of my labor for His Glory.

It's Biblical that commands us to pay our taxes. In some instances of my charity where a tax write off is permitted and legal by our governing authorities, you are free to take it. God allows a write off as a blessing and sustaining charity from our heart doesn't diminish our giving back to the Lord.

What my left doesn't know what my right is doing means not blowing trumpets, as well as the amount of the Lord's provisions and charity giving is personally between the Lord and me.

Bob, thank you for your usual thoughtful and detailed response.
One thing that did strike me was a particular scriptural interpretation.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
You write:
What my left doesn't know what my right is doing means not Matthew 6:1-4 KJV , What my left doesn't know what my right is doing means not What my left doesn't know what my right is doing means not blowing trumpets, as well as the amount of the Lord's provisions and charity giving is personally between the Lord and me.
My understanding of Matthew 6: 1-2 is that it is clearly an admonition about not blowing trumpets,
However:
Matthew 6: 3-4
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.”

Seems to me to be a more pointed admonishment to not “keep a personal score”. In other words, as we should avoid seeking the praise of others for our charity, we should also avoid self-congratulations or feeling smug about our own goodness… we should rather try to forget our own good deeds so as not to puff ourselves up.
Another way to view it perhaps?
God Bless you and all those you love.

I suppose one can take what they received from the write-off and place it in the offering plate. That would be a win-win situation.
This is totally unrelated, but ....
I usually keep money in my car's "glove compartment." Just a bunch of $1 bills, so that I have something to give random people at stop light that ask for money. I do not know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but here in Miami we have a large number of people that stand on the street asking. On my trip home, there are usually the same people in the same locations. A couple of weeks ago, I forgot to lock my car and someone went into it and stole my stash.

I do "write off" my contributions, since my church mails documents to everyone that gives. However, I really do not know how much this write-off is.

Rtm

I consciously look to pass the blessings God has bestowed on me and my family to the Lord's Church, and the community I live in. I really do not consider whether a contribution is tax deductible or not. It just doesn't figure into my 'gift'.

While I often use an online method to give to my church and is documented, I also put a good portion in cash into the collection plate. I know this is undocumented, and thus less directly beneficial at tax time, but I believe there is value in setting money aside, keeping is separate, taking it to the Lords house and placing it before him. It is less about amount as it is about my faithfulness (or lack there-of).

My wife has some Christian charities she likes to support. She will come to me an tell me that she is sending such and such amount to one of these, just so i know where the money went, and so I do not spend money that she means to send.

When I pay my taxes, I find that I can document a good part of charitable gifts, and I am interested to see what they will do to my return.

When I was a new Christian, I can remember the preacher at the church I was attending state, in typical alliterative manner (which helps the hearer remember), that one should return the Lord's blessings with our Time, Talent and Treasure.

Often it is to easy to put ones offering in the plate and say, in effect, "here... go show that I am a Christian". The Lord wants a giving heart to be central to our being.

I consciously look to pass the blessings God has bestowed on me and my family to the Lord's Church, and the community I live in. I really do not consider whether a contribution is tax deductible or not. It just doesn't figure into my 'gift'.

While I often use an online method to give to my church and is documented, I also put a good portion in cash into the collection plate. I know this is undocumented, and thus less directly beneficial at tax time, but I believe there is value in setting money aside, keeping is separate, taking it to the Lords house and placing it before him. It is less about amount as it is about my faithfulness (or lack there-of).

My wife has some Christian charities she likes to support. She will come to me an tell me that she is sending such and such amount to one of these, just so i know where the money went, and so I do not spend money that she means to send.

When I pay my taxes, I find that I can document a good part of charitable gifts, and I am interested to see what they will do to my return.

When I was a new Christian, I can remember the preacher at the church I was attending state, in typical alliterative manner (which helps the hearer remember), that one should return the Lord's blessings with our Time, Talent and Treasure.

Often it is to easy to put ones offering in the plate and say, in effect, "here... go show that I am a Christian". The Lord wants a giving heart to be central to our being.
Our church just started putting out the collection plates (well, small plastic buckets) again. After Covid, it became an on-line thing. We also have "drop boxes" and these automated machines that work similar to the "App." I used to do the cash thing, but the App is so much easier.

As a member of the security team, I sometimes help collect the drop boxes and I believe people prefer to do the drop box more that the collection bucket.

Rtm

I usually keep money in my car's "glove compartment." Just a bunch of st$1 bills, so that I have something to give random people at stop light that ask for money. I do not know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but here in Miami we have a large number of people that stand on the street asking. On my trip home, there are usually the same people in the same locations. A couple of weeks ago, I forgot to lock my car and someone went into it and stole my stash.

I do "write off" my contributions, since my church mails documents to everyone that gives. However, I really do not know how much this write-off is.

Rtm
You're supposed to be a good steward of your finances and keep strict tabs, so much so that your left hand doesn't know what your right hand is doing. (Just ribbing you).

My understanding of Matthew 6: 1-2 is that it is clearly an admonition about not blowing trumpets,
However:
Matthew 6: 3-4
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.”

Seems to me to be a more pointed admonishment to not “keep a personal score”. In other words, as we should avoid seeking the praise of others for our charity, we should also avoid self-congratulations or feeling smug about our own goodness… we should rather try to forget our own good deeds so as not to puff ourselves up.
Another way to view it perhaps?
God Bless you and all those you love.

Hello blueskies;

Thank you for asking. Yes, what I posted is in align with your post. I use blowing trumpets in my posts as a refute / reproof as opposed to keeping personal score or puffing ourselves up.

I usually keep money in my car's "glove compartment." Just a bunch of $1 bills, so that I have something to give random people at stop light that ask for money. I do not know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but here in Miami we have a large number of people that stand on the street asking. On my trip home, there are usually the same people in the same locations. A couple of weeks ago, I forgot to lock my car and someone went into it and stole my stash.

Rtm

Yea..........I uselly have to play with the locks !!

but then they'll just give it back and tell you can write-off the write-off?

Or does it have to be over a certain amount. I don't know.

I had one thing where a certain church member would only sponsor me for a charity fundraiser if I bought her book. So I had to buy her book at full price and give half of the cost to charity on her behalf. I don't know, I just felt a bit weird about doing that. She then made it seem like I was getting a good deal.

I didn't keep the book after reading it I gave it away. I usually buy books to give away after I read them. I don't tell them how much it cost.

So I guess you do not have a library then?????

Back