Challenging Bible Scripture

John 15:12 (NIV)
" My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."

Okay, let’s be honest not religious!!

Sometimes our fellow believers aren’t easy to love. Plus, did you notice that Jesus said we should love each other “as I have loved you.” Well, Jesus gave His life for us, so this is really extreme. He wants us to be willing to die for each other. Holy Cow!!!!

How in the world do we do that??? How do YOU put others’ needs ahead of your own.

Now feel free to disagree but I am thinking that the two areas that seem to affect us the most is pride and selfishness.

If we can learn and be able to put on humility and selflessness we might be able to live John 15:12.

Thoughts.............

Hello Major;

Good idea to discuss, Challenging Bible Scripture. Let's see if we can all come together and learn from this topic.

I think of Omnism that accepts all religion and all gods reaping a little truth from each one. This is far from honesty.

I wish there was more teaching regarding the misguided view on religion versus God's command in Deuteronomy 6:5-6, 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.

And Jesus' teaching in Matthew 22:37-39, 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

When I hear of honesty, love is in the mix. I think of Jesus, bar none. Many times when I think of religion, many come with rules, which can get puffed up. "If you aren't 100% in agreement with it's rules (doctrine,)" then you aren't loved and accepted as God commands us.

Example, lets say one doesn't agree with my post. Ok, so how do I respond? Can I still be filled with the love and joy toward others that will be of the same mind, "one body for Christ."

Philippians 2:2, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.

This is where my heart is to kick start this topic.

God bless you, Major and thank you for sharing.

Hello Major;

Good idea to discuss, Challenging Bible Scripture. Let's see if we can all come together and learn from this topic.

I think of Omnism that accepts all religion and all gods reaping a little truth from each one. This is far from honesty.

I wish there was more teaching regarding the misguided view on religion versus God's command in Deuteronomy 6:5-6, 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.

And Jesus' teaching in Matthew 22:37-39, 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

When I hear of honesty, love is in the mix. I think of Jesus, bar none. Many times when I think of religion, many come with rules, which can get puffed up. "If you aren't 100% in agreement with it's rules (doctrine,)" then you aren't loved and accepted as God commands us.

Example, lets say one doesn't agree with my post. Ok, so how do I respond? Can I still be filled with the love and joy toward others that will be of the same mind, "one body for Christ."

Philippians 2:2, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.

This is where my heart is to kick start this topic.

God bless you, Major and thank you for sharing.

That is exactly where I was coming from.

The opinions out there that we all worship the same God but in different and diverse methods is one of the greatest deceptions of all time!

That is exactly where I was coming from.

The opinions out there that we all worship the same God but in different and diverse methods is one of the greatest deceptions of all time!

Agreed.
There is such a thing as worshiping a God of our imagination for He said 'to professed believers' 'I know you not.
And this business of love - it is not a love as we would understand it. That is why people have so much trouble with things like a loving God allowing the holocaust.
But the required love is 'I will be with you
and even in you...' so it is not something that can be grown by circumstances, but God living in you. I think the closest parallel we have 'as referenced' in Scripture is a mother for her child and scripture declares it greater than that....
I don't think we can put a finger on it to identify it in our lives but we can see evidences, 'a person believes the Word no matter if it is contrary to our thinking. In Jesus day He came so different than the expert scholars were expecting and they couldn't receive it but those that could had representation on the inside so it overrode their circumstantial experience/understanding.
I think another example is if a person is offended in church by something that is said or done (assuming it is nothing evil/unscriptural) does that person take it or is offended and walks away. Shows whether a person is being led by natural affection or there is something greater than himself in control.

Sometimes our fellow believers aren’t easy to love. Plus, did you notice that Jesus said we should love each other “as I have loved you.” Well, Jesus gave His life for us, so this is really extreme. He wants us to be willing to die for each other. Holy Cow!!!!

How in the world do we do that??? How do YOU put others’ needs ahead of your own.

Now feel free to disagree but I am thinking that the two areas that seem to affect us the most is pride and selfishness.

If we can learn and be able to put on humility and selflessness we might be able to live John 15:12.

Thoughts.............
Many religious "Do's and Dont's" seem to side step that 4 letter word DONE, and thus, due to pride, get on that famous locomotive with the refrain..."I know I can, I know I can" all the while failing to see in comparison to God's DONE,... they can't.

Many religious "Do's and Dont's" seem to side step that 4 letter word DONE, and thus, due to pride, get on that famous locomotive with the refrain..."I know I can, I know I can" all the while failing to see in comparison to God's DONE,... they can't.

Agreed!

Instead of simple love for each other and placing the Lord Jesus 1st, "religion" has told us that we must....
Go to church on a certain day or
speak in a strange utterance or
believe in a miracle or
a physical healing of some kind or
cross ourselves or
Be baptized.

Agreed.
There is such a thing as worshiping a God of our imagination for He said 'to professed believers' 'I know you not.
And this business of love - it is not a love as we would understand it. That is why people have so much trouble with things like a loving God allowing the holocaust.
and even in you...' so it is not something that can be grown by circumstances, but God living in you. I think the closest parallel we have 'as referenced' in Scripture is a mother for her child and scripture declares it greater than that....
I don't think we can put a finger on it to identify it in our lives but we can see evidences, 'a person believes the Word no matter if it is contrary to our thinking. In Jesus day He came so different than the expert scholars were expecting and they couldn't receive it but those that could had representation on the inside so it overrode their circumstantial experience/understanding.
I think another example is if a person is offended in church by something that is said or done (assuming it is nothing evil/unscriptural) does that person take it or is offended and walks away. Shows whether a person is being led by natural affection or there is something greater than himself in control.

Good stuff brother.

Allow me to validate your comment of someone being offended and leaving the church. Many years ago we had a very, very talented man who played the piano and organ for the church. He wrote his own music, sang and even did his own personal concerts at church.

He was there every Sunday for I guess about 5 years or so. He was asked to unite with the church and be a church member several times but he never did . Then one day we commissioned two deacons. When this man heard what was being done, he became angry and he and his wife left the church. He walked away. Now remember......he was NOT A CHURCH MEMBER!

WHY did he do that?

He showed that he was being led by his own ambitions and talent (Selfism) and had not realized that there is someone greater than himself in control of himself.

True, we understand the basics but often don't understand the workings of it.
I guess then we stand on the principle faith and move forward.
God bless you my brother.

"religion" has told us that we must....
Go to church on a certain day or
speak in a strange utterance or
believe in a miracle or
a physical healing of some kind or
cross ourselves or
Be baptized.
etc. etc. etc. all fig leaves hiding ourselves from God, coupled with self justification, as Adam and Eve had done. Nothing new here.

etc. etc. etc. all fig leaves hiding ourselves from God, coupled with self justification, as Adam and Eve had done. Nothing new here.

Exactly. Satan does not have to come at us with anything new. He continues to use what has always worked.......
Gen.3:5......"For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Rom 16:3, Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
Rom 16:4, Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

It helps me to know that Priscilla and Aquila didn't actually die for Paul; although they laid down their necks for him which indicates that they were willing to die for him in whatever instance it was in which they laid down their necks.

Rom 16:4, Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

It helps me to know that Priscilla and Aquila didn't actually die for Paul; although they laid down their necks for him which indicates that they were willing to die for him in whatever instance it was in which they laid down their necks.
Amen!
They did not simply know Paul, and they did not simply spend time around him (though such would have been a great blessing to their lives). Paul did the Lord’s work, and they joined him in doing it. That is the only way for two parties to be “fellow workers” – when both actually labor and do such laboring in the same cause. What a great blessing it is to have brothers and sisters who have “a mind to work” (Nehemiah 4:6) for the Lord and are so dependable to do whatever they can to help in His Cause.

Thoughts.............
when I think of this verse major, I first think how silly it seems. God gave us a natural instinct to survive, and so how could we even try put others needs before our own?.( I am taking this topic to the extreme...)

because, thinking back to the sinking of the titanic, and how john harper saved as many women and children unbelievers and he dies doing so.

that must have been a traumatic experience but just goes to show how one mans Faith in God went beyond basic survival instincts which to me is really outstanding.

im still only half way with this kind of faith but imagine being in his shoes.... wow just wow

when I think of this verse major, I first think how silly it seems. God gave us a natural instinct to survive, and so how could we even try put others needs before our own?.( I am taking this topic to the extreme...)

because, thinking back to the sinking of the titanic, and how john harper saved as many women and children unbelievers and he dies doing so.

that must have been a traumatic experience but just goes to show how one mans Faith in God went beyond basic survival instincts which to me is really outstanding.

im still only half way with this kind of faith but imagine being in his shoes.... wow just wow

Agreed!

We can only imagine!

I would say, also, that Priscilla and Aquila actually laid down their necks for Paul which means they could have died; however the Lord chose to preserve their lives.

Hello justbyfaith;

Well said, especially your second post!

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Agreed.

Hello 2404;

I always ask myself, how do we receive sound or unsound doctrine? How do we receive it, dismiss it or just walk away? Do we still believe the Word no matter hit home?

Thank you for the points you shared which helps me understand the disposition of others or myself in a Christian fellowship setting.

God bless you, 2404, and your family.

Thank you Bob may the Lord bless you and yours too.
About receiving doctrine, don't you find that the Word has a 'flavor to it. If the Word is to answer all our questions, even though the question might not directly be quoted in scripture we still got a pretty good idea what direction the answer lays. As far as being falsely indoctrinated we can recognize it because it requires us to go out on a limb or focus on something or someone outside of scripture.

Back