Are There Any Contradictions In The Bible?

Actually, Peter called Paul's writings scripture...

(2Pe 3:15) And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
(2Pe 3:16) As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Paul was not moved by the Holy Spirit when he wrote?...

(Gal 1:8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
(Gal 1:9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

He is taking an authority higher than the angels, which could only be by the Holy Spirit.

Hi Crossnote, I definitely agree with Peter in 2 Peter 3:16 when he says that Paul has said things that are hard to be understood. For a few years, I have found myself scratching my head and trying to understand what Paul means about certain issues.

I personally find the other bible writers to be more straight forward and easier to understand. However, through much prayer and help of the Holy Spirit, God has helped me over the years to understand what Paul means on some topics.

I think it takes years to understand the bible, and even today, I do not understand some of Jesus's parables. I pray that God will continuously still help me and others.

Hi Crossnote, I definitely agree with Peter in 2 Peter 3:16 when he says that Paul has said things that are hard to be understood. For a few years, I have found myself scratching my head and trying to understand what Paul means about certain issues.

I personally find the other bible writers to be more straight forward and easier to understand. However, through much prayer and help of the Holy Spirit, God has helped me over the years to understand what Paul means on some topics.

I think it takes years to understand the bible, and even today, I do not understand some of Jesus's parables. I pray that God will continuously still help me and others.
Hi FF. looking at the context of Peter's statement about Paul in 2Pet3, it seems to be full of references to Christ's 2nd Coming, so I would tend to believe that is the subject matter Peter is referring to regarding Paul's (hard to understand) writings. (remember Peter Paul Almond Joy candy bar? hehe).

Hi FF. looking at the context of Peter's statement about Paul in 2Pet3, it seems to be full of references to Christ's 2nd Coming, so I would tend to believe that is the subject matter Peter is referring to regarding Paul's (hard to understand) writings. (remember Peter Paul Almond Joy candy bar? hehe).

Good stuff brother. You are very correct.

Unlearned and unstable.—The word for “unlearned” here is not the same as that translated “unlearned” in Acts 4:13. That signifies “without special study;” this means “without ordinary instruction.”

Ignorance naturally produces instability; those who have no clear principles of Christian doctrine easily fall victims to seductions of all kinds hence the growth of Mormons - JW'S etc.

May I also point pot that Peter does not say that all the doctrines of the Bible, or even all the doctrines of Paul, are hard to be understood, or that nothing is plain sight.

I marvel at those today who argue that the Rapture is not valid because Darby only came up with it in 1850 so because it is new it can not true. When in fact the Rapture was right there in the Bible for the last 2000 years.

Hello my friend. May I say to you that In 2 Peter 3 (beginning in verse 3), Peter is addressing the church and telling them of false prophets and scoffers, critics of Scripture who would not be able to understand Paul’s writings or would deliberately twist them so that they could deceive others into following a false gospel.

Peter, while admitting that some of Paul’s epistles were hard to understand = meaning that they had to be carefully read) is not saying that everyone twisted Paul’s words—only those who are untaught and unstable. In other words, those who were blinded by sin and Satan. Peter then contrasts those people with the true Christians in the churches in Asia he was writing this warning to:

2 Peter 2:17-18
"Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. 18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen."

yes there seem to be contradictions.

Jesus rejected He was good. He said Only God is Good. But Jesus is God and is not good!
that could be a headache.

but I just figured it out by thinking, well, Truth aint pretty sometimes.

I hope I understood correctly.

I marvel at those today who argue that the Rapture is not valid because Darby only came up with it in 1850 so because it is new it can not true. When in fact the Rapture was right there in the Bible for the last 2000 years.
Often, those same critics will latch on to someone from the 16th century...kinda recent when compared to Moses, Abraham, David etc.

yes there seem to be contradictions.

Jesus rejected He was good. He said Only God is Good. But Jesus is God and is not good!
that could be a headache.

but I just figured it out by thinking, well, Truth aint pretty sometimes.

I hope I understood correctly.

Lets see.......... did you come to realize that Jesus’ fundamental lesson where He said...."No one is good" is that goodness flows not from a man’s deeds, but rather from God Himself. Jesus invites the man to follow Him, which is the only means of doing good by God’s ultimate standard.

Good stuff brother. You are very correct.

Unlearned and unstable.—The word for “unlearned” here is not the same as that translated “unlearned” in Acts 4:13. That signifies “without special study;” this means “without ordinary instruction.”

Ignorance naturally produces instability; those who have no clear principles of Christian doctrine easily fall victims to seductions of all kinds hence the growth of Mormons - JW'S etc.

May I also point pot that Peter does not say that all the doctrines of the Bible, or even all the doctrines of Paul, are hard to be understood, or that nothing is plain sight.

Actually, the first century Church believed in the rapture to come, even in their own lifetimes.

MM

Back