Any here hold to Covenant Theology then?

Then that begs the question: How can an infant voluntarily speak out about having been saved already? What about all those infants who had that sprinkling (not baptism, but sprinkling), and yet are still burning in Sheol to this very day as unsaved adults?

MM
Sad truth is that many got wet as babes but stayed lost in their sins!

Do you baptise infants like most CT do?
No, as reformed baptists do not hold to that aspect of it, as we do see a brand new Covenant, and only those saved into it are to be water baptized!
The NC is the reality of the types and shadows of the OC. At least, that's what we're told in scripture to some extent:
So, if some are puffed up with things not seen in scripture, such as baptism of babies, thus inventing doctrine from sources not of the Bible, then it must be for the emotional benefit of the parents and family, as well as the religionists who perform such, for none of it has any meaning in relation to salvation.
So, yes. I agree with living and let live for those who wish to practice such.
MM

Hello crossnote, YeshuaFan and Musicmaster;

The part in this topic about water baptism for babies caught my attention. Am I correct that you don't appear to agree with baptizing a baby (Baby Christening.)

If not, then how would you approach a minister about this?

I have officiated many Baby Christenings while they're infants in church and will explain later and how my personal standing with Covenant Theology while serving as a Southern Baptist Minister ties in with what I do.

God bless you, brothers.

The part in this topic about water baptism for babies caught my attention. Am I correct that you don't appear to agree with baptizing a baby (Baby Christening.)

I have officiated many Baby Christenings while they're infants in church and will explain later and how my personal standing with Covenant Theology while serving as a Southern Baptist Minister ties in with what I do.

God bless you, brothers.

Bob, as I had stated before, it really is neither here nor there when it comes to sprinkling babies. It has no bearing upon them and their eternal future the Lord has already determined for them, for if they die before an awareness of sin and the need for Christ, the Lord has already determined their destriny, and sprinkling water on them has no bearing upon that. If they die apart from Christ after what is called 'the age of acountability' (which, by the way is not a chronological thing so much as it is in their awareness for sin), then they will go to where all other unsaved people go, and will go.

Getting their hair wet as an infant, that's more for the benefit of parents, family and religionists.

MM

Now, when it comes to Covenant Theology, I like this video from Dr. John Barnett. He does a good job explaining the differences between extreme Covenant Theology and extreme Dispensational Theology. I recommend this for everyone. It's less than 20 minutes in length.

I don't think so
I think the narrow Way is the safest route...
I'm kind of wary of both types of gatekeeping that end up just confusing people.

God bless you, brothers.
I would just ask how can a baby be a disciple of Jesus, as Jesus in the Great Commission authorized us to make disciples, baptizing them!

Bob, as I had stated before, it really is neither here nor there when it comes to sprinkling babies. It has no bearing upon them and their eternal future the Lord has already determined for them, for if they die before an awareness of sin and the need for Christ, the Lord has already determined their destriny, and sprinkling water on them has no bearing upon that. If they die apart from Christ after what is called 'the age of acountability' (which, by the way is not a chronological thing so much as it is in their awareness for sin), then they will go to where all other unsaved people go, and will go.

Getting their hair wet as an infant, that's more for the benefit of parents, family and religionists.

MM
Yes, as dedication is more for the parents then their choldren!

Now, when it comes to Covenant Theology, I like this video from Dr. John Barnett. He does a good job explaining the differences between extreme Covenant Theology and extreme Dispensational Theology. I recommend this for everyone. It's less than 20 minutes in length.

And must keep in mind differences between reformed Presbyterian theology and reformed Baptist!

Bob, no, I’m not hot about baptizing babies. I don’t think I’d approach a minister about it and I’m glad I’m not a minister just in case my congregation approached me. I suppose baby dedication is fine.
Bob, as I had stated before, it really is neither here nor there when it comes to sprinkling babies. It has no bearing upon them and their eternal future the Lord has already determined for them, for if they die before an awareness of sin and the need for Christ, the Lord has already determined their destriny, and sprinkling water on them has no bearing upon that. If they die apart from Christ after what is called 'the age of acountability' (which, by the way is not a chronological thing so much as it is in their awareness for sin), then they will go to where all other unsaved people go, and will go. Getting their hair wet as an infant, that's more for the benefit of parents, family and religionists.
MM
I would just ask how can a baby be a disciple of Jesus, as Jesus in the Great Commission authorized us to make disciples, baptizing them!
Yes, as dedication is more for the parents then their choldren!

Hello crossnote, Musicmaster and YeshuaFan;

We are in agreement. Baptizing babies is not biblical. I have done dedications, or Baby Christenings but by meeting first with the parents and inquiring why they want this ceremony for their child. I was met with different scenarios and answers as each of you described.

Years ago a family met with me and asked if I would baptize their infant. I made it clear baptizing an infant is not Biblical since a baby is not ready to understand nor make a decision on their own regarding baptism. The parents didn't know what to say. Then I asked why they wanted to have this ceremony?

I could tell they weren't familiar with the Bible so I would explain very simple to the parents by pointing to Scriptures in the Old and New Testaments where parents celebrate the birth of their new child and being good stewards in bringing up their children in the ways of the Lord.

But, there is a huge difference between celebrating their child's birth and baptizing them. A baby dedication or Christening does not mean they have full salvation. Christian parents have a duty to instill this in their children as they are growing up. Huge difference.

After explaining this to the parents, some responded it's so they can invite their friends and family followed by a reception with lots of food, entertainment, dancing and alcoholic beverages.

YeshuaFan and MM, you are correct. Many times it was more about "show" and "being up front" of the parents with family and friends. In my discernment I would politely turn down their request and encourage them to seek another minister, or have a private party at their home or rented hall.

On the flipside, many parents confess it was about them, raising their new family for the right reasons. They understood the Scriptures and wanted to commit and be good stewards in raising their infant in the ways of the Lord. In this ceremony the parents wanted to share their public testimony of their new child, giving full glory to God.

Now, whether I sprinkle drops of water, have songs sung, have the parents speak or other ways to celebrate their new child's dedication or Christening, I respectfully leave that up to the parents.

I was encouraged that some of the parents I met explained to me that when their child was old enough they would explain to them about making the decision to get baptized.

Ten to fourteen years later, most of these parents who celebrated their infant's birth through a dedication or Christening, have prospered in raising their children (both good and tough times) in the Christian foundation of their home, many of them are teens or young adults and have gone on to make their own decision to be baptized.

This explanation is also my personal covenant theology of being a man of God, husband and worker of Christ, my sharing the Gospel and explaining my redemption and restoration of eternal life, which includes my duties as a pastor.

God bless you, crossnote, YeshuaFan and MM.

While I am glad end satisfied that I was baptised as an adult as a public expression of my recent ( at that time ) personal acceptance of Christ, I note that those that baptize infants do not see baptism and an expression of the infants belief. When asked, they will liken it to circumcision as a token of the new covenant by which the family (both birth family and church congregation) promise to raise the new person.

So, while their practice does not match my understanding of believers baptism, they do not call it BELIEVERS baptism and they do not claim it fulfills MY UNDERSTANDING of such.

I would note that the early settlers of New England were from the Church of England and the decenters of that church and most practiced infant baptism by sprinking, In fact, ministers who preached adult baptism by imersion were sometimes jailed.

Hello crossnote, Musicmaster and YeshuaFan;

We are in agreement. Baptizing babies is not biblical. I have done dedications, or Baby Christenings but by meeting first with the parents and inquiring why they want this ceremony for their child. I was met with different scenarios and answers as each of you described.

Years ago a family met with me and asked if I would baptize their infant. I made it clear baptizing an infant is not Biblical since a baby is not ready to understand nor make a decision on their own regarding baptism. The parents didn't know what to say. Then I asked why they wanted to have this ceremony?

I could tell they weren't familiar with the Bible so I would explain very simple to the parents by pointing to Scriptures in the Old and New Testaments where parents celebrate the birth of their new child and being good stewards in bringing up their children in the ways of the Lord.

But, there is a huge difference between celebrating their child's birth and baptizing them. A baby dedication or Christening does not mean they have full salvation. Christian parents have a duty to instill this in their children as they are growing up. Huge difference.

After explaining this to the parents, some responded it's so they can invite their friends and family followed by a reception with lots of food, entertainment, dancing and alcoholic beverages.

YeshuaFan and MM, you are correct. Many times it was more about "show" and "being up front" of the parents with family and friends. In my discernment I would politely turn down their request and encourage them to seek another minister, or have a private party at their home or rented hall.

On the flipside, many parents confess it was about them, raising their new family for the right reasons. They understood the Scriptures and wanted to commit and be good stewards in raising their infant in the ways of the Lord. In this ceremony the parents wanted to share their public testimony of their new child, giving full glory to God.

Now, whether I sprinkle drops of water, have songs sung, have the parents speak or other ways to celebrate their new child's dedication or Christening, I respectfully leave that up to the parents.

I was encouraged that some of the parents I met explained to me that when their child was old enough they would explain to them about making the decision to get baptized.

Ten to fourteen years later, most of these parents who celebrated their infant's birth through a dedication or Christening, have prospered in raising their children (both good and tough times) in the Christian foundation of their home, many of them are teens or young adults and have gone on to make their own decision to be baptized.

This explanation is also my personal covenant theology of being a man of God, husband and worker of Christ, my sharing the Gospel and explaining my redemption and restoration of eternal life, which includes my duties as a pastor.

God bless you, crossnote, YeshuaFan and MM.

Thanks, Bob, for the explanation. What you stated pretty much lines up with what I was thinking.

Much appreciated.

MM

While I am glad end satisfied that I was baptised as an adult as a public expression of my recent ( at that time ) personal acceptance of Christ, I note that those that baptize infants do not see baptism and an expression of the infants belief. When asked, they will liken it to circumcision as a token of the new covenant by which the family (both birth family and church congregation) promise to raise the new person.

So, while their practice does not match my understanding of believers baptism, they do not call it BELIEVERS baptism and they do not claim it fulfills MY UNDERSTANDING of such.

I would note that the early settlers of New England were from the Church of England and the decenters of that church and most practiced infant baptism by sprinking, In fact, ministers who preached adult baptism by imersion were sometimes jailed.
I believe its called christening and has as much to do with naming as baptism.

I think christenings are more for the parents than the baby.

When I've seen it happen its that the parents or godparents promise to raise the baby up in the faith. Whether they do or not..well..?
I don't think it's the same as baptism as its just a sprinkle of water the baby isn't fully immersed.

Two different things. I don't think they should be confused and call christenings baptisms when its obviously not.

Back