Annihilationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universalism goes back to the 1500's

Annihilationism Goes back to the to the 1916's and is a much newer idea.

Um, besides being wrong, Michael seems to be using some slight of hand here, perhaps engaging the fallacy that newer ideas are bad? All three traditions can trace their roots back to early church fathers. The traditionalist doctrine of the immortality of the soul, which we claim is mistaken, can be traced back to Plato, later cemented as Christian (but perhaps not biblical) doctrine by Augustine. You can learn about the early conditionalist fathers in this short vid

Ken's View: Is a watered down version of Annihilatioism.

Like the traditional view, there are many nuanced and slightly differing positions among conditionalists. In particular, you find variations in both camps around the more difficult and less scripturally defined topics such as the intermediate state between death and resurrection, the actual nature of the punishment and the literalness of the fire and darkness both described in the judgement, the means of delivering degrees of punishment, and how these models relate to the atonement. In addition, some traditionalists include the idea of the gradual depersonalizations of the soul in hell, and even post mortem repentance, and sanctifying purgatory (c.s. Lewis). Not Michael, of course ;)

All that to say, ken may or may not hold the 'majority' conditionalist view, but the demeaning of his position as 'watered down' seems inaccurate, if not merely mean spirited. Spare me your justifications of calling a spade a spade! your style speaks for you. You should improve it if you want to be heard.

All these doctrines are rooted in Universalism. Anything to twist and make Eternal punishment go away.
Genetic fallacy alert!

As the years go by, folks have realized they need to change their doctrine a bit to be more scriptural sound. Not real sound, but enough to fool people.

This is what Ken has done as he will say........ I believe in punishment............... but..............

Actually, ken was attempting to correct a common misunderstanding of conditionalism (if not a straw man), which states that we don't believe in eternal punishment. We do, but we disagree with traditionalists on the understanding of the word punishment, not the word eternal. ECT teaches 'eternal punishing,' while we claim it means 'punished once for all eternity.'

We further claim that this use is consistent with the use of eternal in other phrases like 'eternal redemption' as well as with the multiple biblical uses of words like destroy, perish, consume, and death. The few passages that ECT ppl have left are in the highly symbolic book of Revelation, hardly a secure place to ground your doctrine, esp. In light if the fact that the relevant passages it quotes are from OT passages that show total annihilation.

All those videos and all that conspiring cant defeat what these few scriptures say in context..:)

Re 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire

All those videos and all that conspiring cant defeat what these few scriptures say in context..:)

Re 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire

And the end of verse 15: "this is the second death". In verse 14 death is cast into the lake of fire, ie. it is destroyed (do you refute this?) If death is destroyed I don't see how the second death can be something people consciously continue to experience (that seems to me to be a contradiction).

Also, notice that both times Revelation speaks of the wicked being thrown into the lake of fire it is defined as the "second death". This is supposed to help us understand what happens to them- only a theologian would try to argue that death means eternal conscious torment- it is simply not the natural understanding of the word.

shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Does that refer to the wicked, or the devil, the false prophet and the beast (the beast being symbolic anyway, and destroyed in the parallel passage in Daniel 7 should alert us to the symbolic nature of this passage by the way)? Or does it refer to the wicked? If I throw a stick and a metal spoon into a fire does it have the same effect on both? As I believe I have shown we have no reason to conclude from Revelation 20 that the wicked are to be tormented forever and ever (that can only be argued for the devil, the false prophet and the beast from this verse!)

Does that refer to the wicked, or the devil, the false prophet and the beast (the beast being symbolic anyway, and destroyed in the parallel passage in Daniel 7 should alert us to the symbolic nature of this passage by the way)? Or does it refer to the wicked? If I throw a stick and a metal spoon into a fire does it have the same effect on both? As I believe I have shown we have no reason to conclude from Revelation 20 that the wicked are to be tormented forever and ever (that can only be argued for the devil, the false prophet and the beast from this verse!)

Job 20:29 This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.

Job 20:29 This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.

Job 20:26- "and unfanned fire will devour him." Your point in quoting Job 20:29 was...?

Re 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life,

Re 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life,

Yet you would have it that no longer being in the book of life the wicked will live forever anyway... :rolleyes:

I know what I need, I need to look at each scripture in context. The best way to create false doctrine is to just make scripture mean what you want it to mean according to what you are trying to prove. So do you have a scripture that relates to the point you where trying to make and that YOU ASK ME to explain. How can I explain a truth of scripture if I don't know what scripture you are asking me about?:rolleyes:
If you must have a specific verse, let's run with the one posted by Mitspa in reply #355. Can you comment on the passage of Scripture that you emphasized with bold font? That was the post I quoted, hence the basis of my questions.
I asked a civil question. If you are not up to a civil answer, I'm happy if you just ignore my question. My world will not come to an end because of your reactions positive or negative.

And of course combining verse 15 with verse 10 in such a way is not at all changing the message of the book of Revelation... :rolleyes:

If you must have a specific verse, let's run with the one posted by Mitspa in reply #355. Can you comment on the passage of Scripture that you emphasized with bold font? That was the post I quoted, hence the basis of my questions.
I asked a civil question. If you are not up to a civil answer, I'm happy if you just ignore my question. My world will not come to an end because of your reactions positive or negative.
I like that guys post...:D

And what is your question? The scriptures seem very evident to me and don't see where or how they could be confused? Unless someone didn't like what they was clearly saying and was "trying" to confuse them?:cautious:

Ps 10:13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back