ANGEL STUDY

It seems that everyone has their own idea about "Angels". WHAT are they. WHO are they? WHERE did they come from?

Now, I will use the Scriptures EXCLUSIVELY and EXTENSIVELY in this study. It will take several pages and this is page #1.

THE ORIGIN OF ANGELS!

Angels just like everything else were Created by God.

Nehemiah 9:6.........
"Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee."

Colossians 1:16.........
" For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him."

So that there are no misunderstandings, WHO then is the "HIM" in verse #16?

Colossians 1:13.........
"We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints.

The word "Him" is verse #16 is an ANTICEDANT in the Greek which means it loints back to the subject of the CONTEXT which is in verse #13.......
The Lord Jesus Christ!

What then do we know from the Scriotures.???? Jesus Christ is the Person who is the Creator of all things. This is one of the most important theological doctrines to grasp in all of the Bible. So then, the origination of all angels existence is from God In Christ. Jesus created the angels!

Luke 24:27...........
"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. "

Moses wrote the Pentateuch, the first FIVE books of the Bible. Jesus says in Luke 24 that HE is the focus of ALL the Old Testament writers.

Hello Major;

I was going to write a separate thread about a funeral we attended yesterday but am led to share here regarding angels.

We attended a funeral Mass at a Catholic church. It was a former co-worker of my wife whose husband died. Before the service we didn't partake in their rosary. There was much repetitive prayers so my wife and I sat quietly and I began to notice the high ceiling with rows and rows of angels as well as the decor surrounding this large sanctuary.

I was trying to understand the significance of all these angel looking children but it just didn't sink in. I thought of the 3 angels in Genesis 18:2, in Psalm 68:17 the thousands of angels, Revelation's 7 churches when an angel opened up the verse of each church in Revelation 1-3:22 and Revelation 7:11 when all the angels stood around the throne.

Angels are definitely Christ's creation and there is significant meaning in each of the Lord's angels.

Page #2......."A Biblical Study of Angels".

As we continue to study the "Origin" of Angels we need to grasp Genesis 3:15............
"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.ā€

"IT" = He................"Shall Bruise" = Crush.

God promised redemption of man through the seed of the woman. God said the He would place a spiritual barrier between Satan's people and God's people and that the redemptive seed of the woman would deliver a death blow to Satan. However, in doing this, He would be bruised Himself.

Romans 16:20...........
"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

John 1:1-4....................
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men."

In the original Greek the word WORD here is translated as "Logos", which is the title of Christ. It is one of the most important title that Christ has. The idea behind this title embodies God's revelation of Himself to humanity.

John used the phrase "Word of God" to describe Jesus because that same phrase was used over 1200 times in the Old Testament to refer to the message of God. Jesus therefore is the express expression and comunication of the Word from God. He is both the incarnate Christ and the inspired Word.

Now there may be someone who asks........"What has that got to do with angels"?

That will become more and more clear as we go along. At this point allow me to say to you that not everyone accepts the Bible truth that I just posted.

Hello Major;

I was going to write a separate thread about a funeral we attended yesterday but am led to share here regarding angels.

We attended a funeral Mass at a Catholic church. It was a former co-worker of my wife whose husband died. Before the service we didn't partake in their rosary. There was much repetitive prayers so my wife and I sat quietly and I began to notice the high ceiling with rows and rows of angels as well as the decor surrounding this large sanctuary.

I was trying to understand the significance of all these angel looking children but it just didn't sink in. I thought of the 3 angels in Genesis 18:2, in Psalm 68:17 the thousands of angels, Revelation's 7 churches when an angel opened up the verse of each church in Revelation 1-3:22 and Revelation 7:11 when all the angels stood around the throne.

Angels are definitely Christ's creation and there is significant meaning in each of the Lord's angels.
Yes when in the many many churches in Rome. I saw small children naked some with wings are everywhere on church ceiling imagery.. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s wrong as they were innocently sculpted but I couldnā€™t understand how they were represented as angels. Most of the angels I read about in the bible seem frightening. Maybe I am missing something. Hopefully this thread will help unveil the mystery.

Thanks brother.

Yes when in the many many churches in Rome. I saw small children naked some with wings are everywhere on church ceiling imagery.. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s wrong as they were innocently sculpted but I couldnā€™t understand how they were represented as angels. Most of the angels I read about in the bible seem frightening. Maybe I am missing something. Hopefully this thread will help unveil the mystery.

Thanks brother.

I promise it will!

My guess is that IF we could see an angel, we would drop dead which is why we can not see them. Out side of the Biblical record, there is ZERO proof on anyone ever seeing an angel!

I promise it will!

My guess is that IF we could see an angel, we would drop dead which is why we can not see them. Out side of the Biblical record, there is ZERO proof on anyone ever seeing an angel!

Iā€™ve seen one in my imagination from Ezekiel's experience. Do you think he saw these creatures in his nightly dreams?
Our subconscious is pretty creative too.

Iā€™ve seen one in my imagination from Ezekiel's experience. Do you think he saw these creatures in his nightly dreams?
Our subconscious is pretty creative too.
Our minds play tricks on us all the time. I am sure that He saw something because he said he did.

Ezekiel describes seeing a wheeled chariot descend toward him from the sky, piloted by beings with the ā€œlikeness of a man.ā€

BTW, Ezekiel did not use the traditional word for heavenly beings. What he was seeing was either unfamiliar to him, or something altogether inexplicable.

In other words, he wrote down what he saw in a vision without knowing how to describe it.

It seems that everyone has their own idea about "Angels". WHAT are they. WHO are they? WHERE did they come from?

Now, I will use the Scriptures EXCLUSIVELY and EXTENSIVELY in this study. It will take several pages and this is page #1.

THE ORIGIN OF ANGELS!

Angels just like everything else were Created by God.

Nehemiah 9:6.........
"Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee."

Colossians 1:16.........
" For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him."

So that there are no misunderstandings, WHO then is the "HIM" in verse #16?

Colossians 1:13.........
"We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints.

The word "Him" is verse #16 is an ANTICEDANT in the Greek which means it loints back to the subject of the CONTEXT which is in verse #13.......
The Lord Jesus Christ!

What then do we know from the Scriotures.???? Jesus Christ is the Person who is the Creator of all things. This is one of the most important theological doctrines to grasp in all of the Bible. So then, the origination of all angels existence is from God In Christ. Jesus created the angels!

Luke 24:27...........
"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. "

Moses wrote the Pentateuch, the first FIVE books of the Bible. Jesus says in Luke 24 that HE is the focus of ALL the Old Testament writers.
Would you say they were created within the six days of creation?
My guess is that IF we could see an angel, we would drop dead which is why we can not see them.
What about these guys?

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
(Heb 13:2)

Would you say they were created within the six days of creation?

What about these guys?

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
(Heb 13:2)

Excellant question.

Job 38:4-7 .....
"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell [Me], if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, 7 When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy? "Sons of God = Angels!

In Job 38, when God responds to Job's challenge, He begins to lay the evidence for Job's inability to contend because of his ignorance. God's proof begins with Creation, and in His questions, presented as Hebrew poetry, angels ("sons of God") shouted for joy with the creation of earth. This seems to mean that angels existed before the creation of earth and the material universe including man or that they were created at the very beginning ("laid the foundation") of the Creation.

Just because the text identifies the angels doesn't mean that the human characters had that knowledge.
The focus of that Scripture is about "Hospitality" not whether anyone actually saw an angel.

The Biblical instances which would be commonly understood to be times when people were unaware they were entertaining angels are:
Abraham in Genesis 18
Lot in Genesis 19
Gideon in Judges 6
Samson's parents in Judges 13

But they actually saw an angel, whether they realized it or not.
Thinking of your comment.
I should have said..."If they saw an angel as he was in his power and glory".

However, they only saw what they were allowed to see. Those angels were clothed in flesh and were not seen in their power or glory.

The Bible says that Angels are beings who have greater power and ability than humans. (2 Peter 2:11).

I wonder if you would agree that Angels have a glorified existence that allows them to be in the presence of God in heaven????

"And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, ā€œAre You for us or for our adversaries?ā€ So He said, ā€œNo, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come...ā€ (Joshua 5:13-15).

Joshua thought this was a Man because he only saw what he was allowed to see...IMHO.

Last edited:
ANGEL STUDY - THE METHOD - Page 3.

We now know that angels were created by a special act of God in Christ.

They did not evolve into being angels.
They are NOT the spirits of Christians who have died and then made into angels because they did good deeds.

Each angel was a direct creation and that may be why they are referred to as "Sons of God".

The phrase ā€œsons of Godā€ occurs ten times in the Bible. It occurs five times in the Old Testament (Genesis 6:2, 4; Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7) and five times in the New Testament (Matthew 5:9; Luke 20:36; Romans 8:14, 19; Galatians 3:26).

In Genesis 6:2......"The Sons of God" there in that Scripture are NOT Angels but instead are humans.

DO NOT fall for the Nephilim false teaching that Angels had sex with human women and produced demonic half breads.

Psalms 148:2...........
"Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. 3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light."

Once angels were created by God, their number was forever fived. There is NO Bible record of an angel birth or death.

There are TWO (2) kinds of angels =
1. Godly
2. Demonic.

ALL Angels, whether Godly or Demonic are ASEXUAL. That means that they do not reproduce. Speaking about the saints who will be in heaven, the Lord Jesus said in Matthew 22:30...........
"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.".

The Sadducees tried to trick Jesus by asking a dumb question that seemed to be a contradiction. Jesus says, there isn't any contradiction or complication, at all. Resurrected human beings will be like angels in one respect: Men will not marry, and women will not be given in marriage. That means NO SEXUAL RELATION! Marriage, the pairing of couples for life, will cease to exist there. As eternal beings, angels do not reproduce, making marriage unnecessary. Humans will exist in that non-married, non-reproducing status, glorified condition as well.

Angels do not die as we see that in Luke 2-:36..........
"neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. "

1. So, we know from the Bible that Angels are created beings by an act of God.
2. We know that they are ASEXUAL and do not have sexual relations and reproduce.
3. We also know that they do not die.

Knowing all that we can now answer the question that comes out of Genesis 6:4-5................
"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."

Remember........angels are ASEXUAL and can not have sex so there is NO WAY that these are fallen angels who mated with women.

These "sons of God" were human beings, famous, well known men who proclaimed themselves gods. This was a common tactic of emperors and kings: to claim divine birth or godly traits. In that case, this passage serves to refute their claims. God's upcoming flood will prove that there is no divine nature in these evil rulers. Their taking of "any [wives] they chose" suggests the all-too-common practice of kings having multiple wives and a harem of sexual servants.

The mention of Nephilim in the Bible is also in Numbers 13:33. The Israelite spies, collecting intelligence on the Promised Land, saw a race of men who they thought made them look like grasshoppers in comparison. Now read the account in Numbers and try to place yourself there. ONLY 2 men were actually able to give an accurate account. The other 10 were scared out of their minds. Did they see "giants" or was that what their minds convinced that is what they wanted Moses to hear????

Caleb and Josua said......."We can take them, no problem"

Nephilim are commonly thought to be a race of giants, or in this case simply meaning very large humans from the 10 spies report.

To me, I support Dr. J Vernon MaGee, Dr. Oliver B. Green and Dr. Walvoord who say that the "Sons of God" as used in Genesis 6 is the Godly line of humans who came through Adam and Eve and then Seth.

Genesis 4:26..........
""And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD."

Then the female offspring of Adam through Cain were "the daughters of men." The problem was that the family of Godly line of Seth had interbred with the Ungodly family line of Cain, intermingling the bloodlines and corrupting the pure religion.

Genesis 4:16........
"And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.....and there he knew his wife".

So now we know the ORIGIN of angels = They were created by God.
We also now know the METHOD and it was a special divine act.

Next we will talk about WHEN were the angels created!!!!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS OR POST COMMENTS. THAT IS HOW WE GROW!

Last edited:
Angel Study - Page 4 - When Were The Angels Created"?????

Trying to determine when God created the angels is somewhat tricky because anything God did "before the foundation of the world" puts the event outside of time itself. Time and space are characteristics of our world, not Godā€™s. He is not limited by hours, days, and years as we are. All we can do is go by what the Scriptures say.

Job 38:1-7..........
"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
2 ā€œWho is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? 3 Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me. 4 ā€œWhere were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the [b]line upon it? 6 To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, 7 When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

In all that I post and teach, please do not accept what I say YOU read carefully the literal Scriptures.....PLEASE!

This passage above seems to me to clearly place the existence of the Sons of God as ANGELS "before the creation."

The book of Job describes the angels worshiping God as He was creating the world:
"Where were you when I laid the earthā€™s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone - while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"

So then, Either God created angels before the first day of creation, Or God here is just saying that he created the earth in the same general time frame as when he created angels.

Now THINK! We know they existed prior to the garden of Eden, because Satan, who was formerly the angel Lucifer, was already present in the garden in his fallen state. However, because another function of angels is to worship God around His throne, it is then within reason to think that they may have been in existence millions of yearsā€”as we reckon timeā€”before God created the world, worshiping Him and serving Him. YES........I know that flies in the face of the Young Earth position.

Consider now Job 1:6.......
"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord , and Satan also came among them."

There was NO HUMAN BEING in Heaven at this time. "Sons of God" = Angels!

Job 1:7..................................
"And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

LOCATION.......Where was God in verse #6??? = HEAVEN!

Who came to see Him?? "The Sons Of God". Without question, the Scriptures tell us that the ANGELS came to report to God and God was in Heaven! Lucifer = Satan the Devil is with them!

WHAT was Satan doing???? ...... "going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

WHERE??????? THE EARTH!

Angels came to report to God in heaven BUT Satan had been on the earth running around = Creation done.

1 Peter 5:8.......
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour".

Colossians 2:18........
" Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind".

So.......does it matter whether angels were created Before Creation or during Creation. NO! Do not lose sleep or friends argueing over this one. It just does not matter.

There was at Paul's time that was called the Colossian Heresy. It advocated Angel Worship much as we see it being done today in our churchs and the world in general. Paul's dorective to the church was to Forbid and form of worship aimed at angels or any other heavenly being. Only the Creator is to be worshipped.

Paul was so strong on this that he went further in Galatians 1:8-9..........
"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

"Accursed" here = Eternally damned!

Next we will consider the PURPOSE of angels.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS OR ASK QUESTIONS!

Love this thread. There are different types of angels.
The ark of the covenant angels are interesting.
didnā€™t they hide Gods presence? Spreading the wings over the ark. Those wer the ones who guarded the garden of Eden to stop humanityā€™s return right?

But what was the point of 4 faces on the seraphim angels?

Love this thread. There are different types of angels.
The ark of the covenant angels are interesting.
didnā€™t they hide Gods presence? Spreading the wings over the ark. Those wer the ones who guarded the garden of Eden to stop humanityā€™s return right?

But what was the point of 4 faces on the seraphim angels?

Now I am not putting off giving you and answer. It is that I have it planned in another 2 or 3 posts. The beings you are talking about were never called "angels".

Exodus 25:18-20 .......
"And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be."

Now notice the literal Scriptures......."And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold,".

The sphinx-like creatures with human heads, the bodies of lions, and wings, and makes it clear that they were man-made forms.

So we see from the Scriptures that The Ark of the Covenant held two man-made cherubim, not representative of any individual person or creature.

Now I am not putting off giving you and answer. It is that I have it planned in another 2 or 3 posts. The beings you are talking about were never called "angels".

Exodus 25:18-20 .......
"And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be."

Now notice the literal Scriptures......."And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold,".

The sphinx-like creatures with human heads, the bodies of lions, and wings, and makes it clear that they were man-made forms.

So we see from the Scriptures that The Ark of the Covenant held two man-made cherubim, not representative of any individual person or creature.
Pretty much like these? These are the Lamassu from Mesopotamian days. 2 of these used to guard the gates of cities.
D7997B05-24CE-4F63-846B-F93947E8D310.jpeg
Usually depicted as lion bodies or bull bodied with heads of humans and wings.

Since Ezekiel's vision was already mentioned, I am hoping when we get to John's vision of the four living creatures and how they match up exactly with each other. The only difference being that one of them used an ox to describe the face and the other used a bull, to me that is the same face. Scripture supports scripture.

Back