A Question of Faith

blueskies

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1, KJV

Sometimes, particularly while I’m reading the Bible, I wonder just how strong my faith really is and how can I measure it. What ruler can I apply? I have to admit I am not anxious to have my faith tested as were the Apostles. Is there a painless faith-o-meter I can use? I mean, I’d really like to know if I am getting a passing grade BEFORE schools out… for eternity!

Is true Faith a towering unassailable monolith, a fortress perhaps; or is it to be known as a beautiful, fragrant and tender garden to be carefully nurtured and cared for each day?

Once elsewhere, definitely not here, I read a plea for healing prayers from a person suffering from a serious and chronic affliction. Among the people who offered prayers was a earnest person who offered up a prayer and then declared the petitioner was now healed in Christ’s name.

The original petitioner wrote back, that he appreciated the prayer, “but was still waiting for the healing”. At this point the person offering the healing prayer became notably upset and accused the afflicted person of not having a sincere faith or they would now be healed. Further, their illness was directly a result of a “lack of faith”. Then things quickly went “south” and I don’t think God was glorified in the exchange that followed.

In scripture we read:
“But Jesus, turning and seeing her, said, “Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well.” And at once the woman was made well.” Matthew 9:22, NASB

Some people read this verse as meaning “if you’re not healed, you didn’t have enough faith” and they point out this verse to prove their point, but was Jesus really saying that it was the woman’s faith that healed her, or was it her faith in Christ that then allowed God to heal her?

Does the amount of faith we possess, the lack or strength of it, determine if we will suffer, have disease or troubles in our lives?

Is this a promised benefit of faith?

We read:
8 “and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”
1 Peter 1: 8-9 NSAB

Then the true hoped for blessings of faith is not an relief from earthly suffering, but instead that faith brings us to salvation and assures us that our salvation is secure.

Please, share some of your own thoughts on Faith brothers and sisters.
God be with you all.

faith is not an relief from earthly suffering, but instead that faith brings us to salvation and assures us that our salvation is secure.
blueskies, I hope I am understanding you correctly..

As my faith grows in something I long for( a dearly held desire) I still suffer, perhaps no longer in the desired outcome itself, but in other areas of my life I haven’t prayed about.

Is this what you mean?
That our faith cannot be complete because there is always more we need/ desire?

Does the amount of faith we possess, the lack or strength of it, determine if we will suffer, have disease or troubles in our lives?
NO!

This kind of false faith is self-centered!

True faith is looking beyond current difficulties to keep ones sight on the Lord's Kingdom.

When one's own affliction (like chronic or terminal illness) fills ones mind, faith in Christ can lift the spirit and rob the enemy of his purpose.

God can and does heal as _HE_ chooses for _HIS_ purposes, but we do not command His service. He commands ours.

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1, KJV

Sometimes, particularly while I’m reading the Bible, I wonder just how strong my faith really is and how can I measure it. What ruler can I apply? I have to admit I am not anxious to have my faith tested as were the Apostles. Is there a painless faith-o-meter I can use? I mean, I’d really like to know if I am getting a passing grade BEFORE schools out… for eternity!

Is true Faith a towering unassailable monolith, a fortress perhaps; or is it to be known as a beautiful, fragrant and tender garden to be carefully nurtured and cared for each day?

Once elsewhere, definitely not here, I read a plea for healing prayers from a person suffering from a serious and chronic affliction. Among the people who offered prayers was a earnest person who offered up a prayer and then declared the petitioner was now healed in Christ’s name.

The original petitioner wrote back, that he appreciated the prayer, “but was still waiting for the healing”. At this point the person offering the healing prayer became notably upset and accused the afflicted person of not having a sincere faith or they would now be healed. Further, their illness was directly a result of a “lack of faith”. Then things quickly went “south” and I don’t think God was glorified in the exchange that followed.

In scripture we read:
“But Jesus, turning and seeing her, said, “Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well.” And at once the woman was made well.” Matthew 9:22, NASB

Some people read this verse as meaning “if you’re not healed, you didn’t have enough faith” and they point out this verse to prove their point, but was Jesus really saying that it was the woman’s faith that healed her, or was it her faith in Christ that then allowed God to heal her?

Is this a promised benefit of faith?

We read:
8 “and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”
1 Peter 1: 8-9 NSAB

Then the true hoped for blessings of faith is not an relief from earthly suffering, but instead that faith brings us to salvation and assures us that our salvation is secure.

Please, share some of your own thoughts on Faith brothers and sisters.
God be with you all.

You are asking ....Can Faith be measured????

Yes I think so would be my answer.

Romans 12:3 says,
“For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.”

Because each believer receives his measure of faith by God’s allotment, we are prevented from thinking of ourselves “more highly” than we ought. Each of us should recognize the limits of his or her own gifts. At the same time, we must acknowledge the gifts that others possess and that each believer is divinely placed into Christ as a vital and functioning part of His spiritual Body.

God has given to each a “measure of faith” to use for Him. This “faith” is the gift from which all the other gifts flow. Faith is the first gift we receive (for justification), and faith is the gift that brings the other gifts of the Spirit into our lives.

Now........does a measure of FAITH mean that we can rebuke sickness and illness and be healthy and rich then NO!

That is not faith in which God gave it to us. That is "Demanding" that God do something for us because He owes us something.

That our faith cannot be complete because there is always more we need/ desire?
Dear Via dolarossa, I don’t believe it would be possible, for me at least, to have every earthy desire fulfilled. Even the Saint’s had desires, if only to help others.

As for suffering I believe suffering is in our lives because we are living in a broken world and so cannot escape suffering. Some suffering is due to our sinful and wrong choices, but some is due simply to the world being fallen and us being in it.

My post was more of a general musing on my personal Faith and some observations to spark thoughts and conversation.
God Bless

God has given to each a “measure of faith” to use for Him. This “faith” is the gift from which all the other gifts flow. Faith is the first gift we receive (for justification), and faith is the gift that brings the other gifts of the Spirit into our lives.
Thank you Major for this comprehensive reply and much to think about.

That God has given each of us a “measure of faith” to be applied in our lives is a very important thing to remember I believe.

Dear Via dolarossa, I don’t believe it would be possible, for me at least, to have every earthy desire fulfilled. Even the Saint’s had desires, if only to help others.

As for suffering I believe suffering is in our lives because we are living in a broken world and so cannot escape suffering. Some suffering is due to our sinful and wrong choices, but some is due simply to the world being fallen and us being in it.

My post was more of a general musing on my personal Faith and some observations to spark thoughts and conversation.
God Bless

Good stuff! I agree!

Seems to me from what you have posted that your faith is in good standing.

There are mamy reasons why God says no for example:

When Paul asked 3 tmes for the thorn in his flesh to be removed God said no and told him "My grace is sufficient for you for in weakness My strength is made perfect, in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

If our faith is built on The Rock we do not need to measure it.

When Paul asked 3 tmes for the thorn in his flesh to be removed God said no and told him "My grace is sufficient for you for in weakness My strength is made perfect, in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

If our faith is built on The Rock we do not need to measure it.
Great point and a good thing to remember Cosia, thank you.

This also reminds me:
19 “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity”.
2 Timothy 2:19, KJV

Great point and a good thing to remember Cosia, thank you.

This also reminds me:
19 “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity”.
2 Timothy 2:19, KJV
Beautiful verse
Thanks for the important reminder blueskies
Blessings

Brother have you read or seen the movie Faith Like Potatoes?

I think your garden analogy is a good one.
With regard to potatoes, we might not know how many potatoes there will be until we dig them up. But we can see by the leaves they are growing.

Back