Daniel 9:24 "Seventy weeks [Seventy Heptads, which means seventy groups of seven years] are determined for your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy."

So, who, what, where, when and why for the six objectives?

The first three:

To make an end of sins,

These are seen to have been completed by Christ at His crucifixion, because it is at that point that Christ definitively dealt the death blow to the penalty of sin for those who call upon His name, or were faithful to try and obey His Law.

The fourth objective speaks to us of His transforming grace as the fulfillment of basis for everlasting righteousness. I'm sure we can all agree that Jesus kept the Law perfectly, and so He is the righteous one who can satisfy the justice of God by having paid the full penalty for sin.

The fifth objective, in relation to the seventy heptads (sevens) open up for us, has to do with promise and fulfilment. Looking back, we can see more clearly what God has done, and will do, in answering Daniel's wondrous prayer. So, the seventy heptads (groups of seven years) are the context within which the Lord shows His purpose to see that His word is accomplished.

And to anoint the Most Holy.

In relation to this sixth objective, Daniel was told that in the seventy heptads of years that there would be an anointing of the most holy one (either a place or a person). If we look at this chapter in Daniel, we can recall his plea for the restoration of God's desolate sanctuary in verse 17, so it seems reasonable that this last objective refers to a building rather than to a person...perhaps the third temple.

Fascinating stuff for those who like to delve into eschatology.

MM

Daniel 9:24 "Seventy weeks [Seventy Heptads, which means seventy groups of seven years] are determined for your people and for your holy city,
To make an end of sins,

The first three:

To make an end of sins,

These are seen to have been completed by Christ at His crucifixion, because it is at that point that Christ definitively dealt the death blow to the penalty of sin for those who call upon His name, or were faithful to try and obey His Law.

The fourth objective speaks to us of His transforming grace as the fulfillment of basis for everlasting righteousness. I'm sure we can all agree that Jesus kept the Law perfectly, and so He is the righteous one who can satisfy the justice of God by having paid the full penalty for sin.

The fifth objective, in relation to the seventy heptads (sevens) open up for us, has to do with promise and fulfilment. Looking back, we can see more clearly what God has done, and will do, in answering Daniel's wondrous prayer. So, the seventy heptads (groups of seven years) are the context within which the Lord shows His purpose to see that His word is accomplished.

In relation to this sixth objective, Daniel was told that in the seventy heptads of years that there would be an anointing of the most holy one (either a place or a person). If we look at this chapter in Daniel, we can recall his plea for the restoration of God's desolate sanctuary in verse 17, so it seems reasonable that this last objective refers to a building rather than to a person...perhaps the third temple.

MM
Agreed.

Without an understanding of the book of Daniel there is NO understanding of the Revelation!!!!

For example.......Daniel 9:24-27 is the only Old Testament passage which refers to the Messiah as “Messiah.”
Elsewhere He is called “Shiloh” (Genesis 49:10), the “Root of Jesse” (Isaiah 11:10), the “Righteous Branch” (Jeremiah 23:5), the “Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6), etc. But the name by which He is known best, “Messiah,” appears in only one passage!!!!

Daniel received the seventy sevens prophecy in response to his prayer. The prophecy foretold a period of seven times seventy yet to come, or seventy seven-year periods. Seventy seven-year periods equals 490 years which is the key to prophecy and the book of the Revelation and the end times.

The prophecy goes on to say that “from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven sevens (49) and sixty-two sevens (434). . . . Then after the sixty-two sevens the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing.”

Both the ancient Hebrews to whom Daniel was writing and the ancient Babylonians to whom he was subservient (the Book of Daniel having been written in Babylon during the latter half of the 6th century BC) used a 360-day year.

So, 483 years x 360 days = 173,880 days. Daniels prophecy was fulfilled to the day when Messiah Jesus came into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

The sixty-nine weeks started on Nisan 1, 3317 or February 27, 444 B.C. The sixth-nine weeks of the prophecy takes us to Nisan 6, 3793 or the afternoon of March 24, A.D. 33. Daniel 9:25-26 says that at the end of the sixty-nine weeks the Messiah would be cut off. And Jesus died on Nisan 1 or April 1 in the year A.D. 33.

He was "Cut Off" and Right now, we sit somewhere between the end of the 69th week and the beginning of the 70 th week.

Now......According to the teped you posted,,,,,"To bring in everlasting righteousness,"
But since everlasting righteousness does not exist yet, that means Daniel’s 70th week has not yet occurred. Therefore, there is a gap between the sixty-ninth week and the seventieth week. We are still waiting for the seventieth week to start which will be the Tribulation Peroid.

Last edited by a moderator:
To make an end of sins,

The first three:

To make an end of sins,

MM
Interesting topic. Now let`s start with the first line - `Seventy weeks are determined FOR YOUR PEOPLE AND FOR YOUR HOLY CITY.` (Dan. 9: 24)

That is the reason - for Israel (people) and Jerusalem, (holy city).

Thus, I would say that -
1. to finish THE transgression, refers to Israel`s national rebellion. This will end when the Lord comes to deliver them. (Zech. 12: 9 & 10)

2. To make an end of sins - individual sins, (of Israel).

3. To make reconciliation for iniquity - Christ`s sacrifice and the outworking of that for Israel`s restoration and the cleansing of wickedness - tribulation.

4. to bring in everlasting righteousness - Christ`s right rule through Israel over the nations.

5. to seal up vision and prophecy - as in the book of Daniel.

6. to anoint the Most Holy - temple for God, by His Spirit to dwell there. (Ez. 43: 1- 7)

Interesting topic. Now let`s start with the first line - `Seventy weeks are determined FOR YOUR PEOPLE AND FOR YOUR HOLY CITY.` (Dan. 9: 24)

We have these verses that give to us the prime purpose for all that the Lord does in favor of Israel and for Jerusalem:

2 Kings 19:34 For I will defend this city, to save it, for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Isaiah 37:35 For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Isaiah 43:25 I, [even] I, [am] he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Isaiah 48:11 For mine own sake, [even] for mine own sake, will I do [it]: for how should [my name] be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

My fellow Israeli's are full of pride right now, thinking that THEY are the ones who have accomplished all that they have succeeded in through the centuries, by the strength of their own arm and their technological prowess! They pay almost no attention to the words of our own prophets.

More to come while we are traveling for the holidays...

MM

We have these verses that give to us the prime purpose for all that the Lord does in favor of Israel and for Jerusalem:

2 Kings 19:34 For I will defend this city, to save it, for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Isaiah 37:35 For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Isaiah 43:25 I, [even] I, [am] he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Isaiah 48:11 For mine own sake, [even] for mine own sake, will I do [it]: for how should [my name] be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

My fellow Israeli's are full of pride right now, thinking that THEY are the ones who have accomplished all that they have succeeded in through the centuries, by the strength of their own arm and their technological prowess! They pay almost no attention to the words of our own prophets.

More to come while we are traveling for the holidays...

MM
May you have a good holiday travelling around. I agree with most of what you say except that many Israelis are praying to God and singing hymns. I do think some know that they were and are protected by God. Some amazing stories of `angelic` encounters on the battle field.

May you have a good holiday travelling around. I agree with most of what you say except that many Israelis are praying to God and singing hymns. I do think some know that they were and are protected by God. Some amazing stories of `angelic` encounters on the battle field.
As a Messianic Jew, I'm well acquainted with my orthodox, Jewish brothers and sisters who still reject Messiah as having come already, and have wondered many times about their prayers and songs. Prayer that is rooted in a continuing rejection of the One and only High Priest and Lord of our salvation they reject, they have no priesthood any longer, and so are very much like any other pagan in the world. That is a good question you posed.

As to our being chosen by God, yes, but it is not for our sake. It is for His name sake. It is all about the Lord.

MM

As a Messianic Jew, I'm well acquainted with my orthodox, Jewish brothers and sisters who still reject Messiah as having come already, and have wondered many times about their prayers and songs. Prayer that is rooted in a continuing rejection of the One and only High Priest and Lord of our salvation they reject, they have no priesthood any longer, and so are very much like any other pagan in the world. That is a good question you posed.

As to our being chosen by God, yes, but it is not for our sake. It is for His name sake. It is all about the Lord.

MM
That is very interesting being a Messianic Jew. Were you brought up to observe the customs etc?

I believe at the moment God is desiring Israel to turn to Him (as their God) and later when the Lord comes, He will reveal Himself to them. (Joel 2: 12 - 17, Mal. 3: 16 & 17, Zech. 12: 7 - 10)

Thus, I would say that -
1. to finish THE transgression, refers to Israel`s national rebellion. This will end when the Lord comes to deliver them. (Zech. 12: 9 & 10)

2. To make an end of sins - individual sins, (of Israel).

3. To make reconciliation for iniquity - Christ`s sacrifice and the outworking of that for Israel`s restoration and the cleansing of wickedness - tribulation.

4. to bring in everlasting righteousness - Christ`s right rule through Israel over the nations.

5. to seal up vision and prophecy - as in the book of Daniel.

6. to anoint the Most Holy - temple for God, by His Spirit to dwell there. (Ez. 43: 1- 7)
I would say that verse 24 certainly affects I sareal and they are the sugject and the key, but I think this verse is also speaking to entire world as we know it.

It seems to me that This speaks of both the ending and fulfillment of prophecy, concluding the final stage of human history and culminating with the reign of the Son of God in the Millinium.

That is very interesting being a Messianic Jew. Were you brought up to observe the customs etc?

I believe at the moment God is desiring Israel to turn to Him (as their God) and later when the Lord comes, He will reveal Himself to them. (Joel 2: 12 - 17, Mal. 3: 16 & 17, Zech. 12: 7 - 10)

We were taught about some of the observances, but we were not hardliners about them since we believe in Christ as the fulfillment. Many of my Messianic Jewish friends and family are either secularists or much like the Hebrew Roots gang, in that they are more than zealous for the Law as were the Messianic Jews of Isreal in the first century. Some are outright legalistic, believing that Torah observance is a matter of salvation, which is utterly false! Very sad, too.

MM

That's a bit hard to fathom in and of itself...

I was on my pad, which I generally don't use for this forum. What I meant to say is that many of my non-Messianic, non-fundamentalist, non-orthodox Jewish acquaintances (some family, some not) are secularist, as are many of the Jews in New York and other of our extremely liberal cities. They hate the Jews in Israel, calling them Zionists and other names I will not repeat here. They want all those Jews pushed into the sea.

MM

MM
So then....do you think that their prayers are a waste of time????

So then....do you think that their prayers are a waste of time????

Yes, they are indeed a waste of time when they fail to acknowledge what the Lord stated time after time in the OT, in that all that He did for Israel was not FOR Israel, but for His own name's sake. It's all about Christ, and He fully expected/expects that they always and forever keep that in mind when it comes to their prayers. Any deviation from that, which is also demonstrated many times in the OT, and their prayers never lifted off the cold, stone floors of the temple.

MM

Yes, they are indeed a waste of time when they fail to acknowledge what the Lord stated time after time in the OT, in that all that He did for Israel was not FOR Israel, but for His own name's sake. It's all about Christ, and He fully expected/expects that they always and forever keep that in mind when it comes to their prayers. Any deviation from that, which is also demonstrated many times in the OT, and their prayers never lifted off the cold, stone floors of the temple.

MM
I agree!!!

I remember how surprised I was to find out that there actually was such a thing as Jews who were atheists. It seemed like an oxymoron at the time, and still does.

Darwinian Jews are plentiful in the world. They see science as the foundation for all understanding and truth, which is a deification of man and his own intellect. They do not observe the feasts, although some do observe the feasts their parents fixed upon as good basis for family gatherings. Apart from that, however, God is just an abstract and distant personage Who is far from their hearts, and rightly so because of the distance they placed themselves away from Him.

MM

Darwinian Jews are plentiful in the world. They see science as the foundation for all understanding and truth, which is a deification of man and his own intellect. They do not observe the feasts, although some do observe the feasts their parents fixed upon as good basis for family gatherings. Apart from that, however, God is just an abstract and distant personage Who is far from their hearts, and rightly so because of the distance they placed themselves away from Him.

MM
It seems this passage applies to the Jews as anyone else..

Romans 9:15-16 NKJV
For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." [16] So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

It seems this passage applies to the Jews as anyone else..

Romans 9:15-16 NKJV
For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." [16] So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

Yes, it does. The difference is those who live in rejection of Messiah. For them, there is no redemption, and with no redemption, there is no mercy until they repent, like all others.

MM

Back