What Message Do We Teach?

An excerpt from my daily journal. Food for thought?

Now that I am back home, I have resumed my study of the Bible, specifically the letters of Paul. I find the revelation of God's love overflowing in Paul's words. His is not a message of damnation but of hope. It's also a message of sadness for those who hear the word of God yet choose to ignore it. God gives freedom to choose. No one is forced to bend a knee to Jesus, and those who do, do so out of love and not fear. It has taken me many years to understand this.

Before I read the Bible, when I was exposed to Christianity second-hand via television or casual conversation, the main focus was always on salvation, believe in Christ or be damned to Hell. There is no love in that message. There is only fear. Is it no wonder that so many are repulsed by Christians when the first thing they hear is a message of elitism (saved vs. condemned) and judgement (cast into Hell)? Believers in Christ need to re-frame the message as one of love. We need to lead with the fact of God's love, mercy and compassion, his tenderness, forgiveness and grace. God does not want us to suffer, and we only do so because we have turned away from him, often unknowingly, The Devil's propaganda machine is very good at its job. We need to counter that with a message of light and hope. Darkness and fear have no place in the presence of God.

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:31-32 Authorized KJV (Gideon's)

Hello LearningToLetGo;

I'm blessed to know you have a daily journal. Keep writing!

Regarding the Bible. I thank the Lord that I can put all aside daily to read His Word. He speaks to me. I cannot say I am always overjoyed in my reading because there are both days, I am hungry for the Word and there are days I'm not in the reading mood. Still, He hears my confession and what matters is getting through my reading because either way I'm gaining each day by learning.

Regarding televangelists. I know many who do watch church television. Some are very senior men and women and those handicapped and are confined to their home or care home. When they share with me the teachings of Reverends David Jeremiah, Charles Stanley and others, they explain the verb of their message, Scripture and how this can be applied in their lives despite their physical condition.

I personally don't watch church television and Christian Forum Site is the only forum I serve, because I'm usually out in the community and face to face with others, so my people skills are always being honed with learning lessons, especially the spiritual battles. With that said I have great days and tough days.

At the end of the day I love what I do and as long as the Lord blesses me with another brand new day, He isn't done with me. For that I'm truly thankful.

God bless you, Jason, and thank you for sharing.

I cannot say I am always overjoyed in my reading because there are both days, I am hungry for the Word and there are days I'm not in the reading mood.
Boy oh boy, can I relate to that. I try to do some reading each evening.
On rare occasions when I am both hungry for the word and too tired (or lazy) to read, I sometimes let my phone Bible app read scripture to me - although it invariably knocks me out.

Hi and welcome LearningToLetGo.

I love Christianity’s message in that
It is one of love and hope too.
When I got saved it was because I believed things would get better, and no matter how bad things could get , it won’t last. There was/ is a balance in life that I had to face. It wasn’t a doomscape at all. It was more of a continuum of good and bad times and a way to navigate them efficiently, whilst steering clear of guilt and blame.

I love that Paul took the time to write to all the churches under his care, and give them advice, it wasn't all 'come and watch me speak'.
He also injected a lot of love into his letters and took time to consider the real problems of having a lot of believers all come together and not always agreeing on things.

Much like a forum lol.

I love that Paul took the time to write to all the churches under his care, and give them advice, it wasn't all 'come and watch me speak'.
He also injected a lot of love into his letters and took time to consider the real problems of having a lot of believers all come together and not always agreeing on things.

Much like a forum lol.

So true! I am reading Paul's letters to the churches in Corinth. There is so much wisdom there.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 ESV​

7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,[a] a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

"For when I am weak, then I am strong" -- such powerful revelation! Having gone through a recent health scare that nearly killed me, I can relate. God does and will use physical calamity to bring us closer to him, if we allow it. The choice is ours. Many draw away from Christ in times of suffering. That's sad to witness but I am sure God has other ways to reach even the most ardent of doubters and backsliders.

Some denominations pressure young people to become Christians so they can avoid hell. Some do it in Sunday School without the parents' knowledge. My late husband read Revelation and said it "scared the hell out of him." I don't know. My experience wasn't fear of hell, but being drawn to a loving Savior. The Bible says we are brought to Christ by the Father. And Peter knew Who Christ was via revelation from the Father.

John 6:44
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Hello LearningToLetGo;

I'm blessed to know you have a daily journal. Keep writing!

Regarding the Bible. I thank the Lord that I can put all aside daily to read His Word. He speaks to me. I cannot say I am always overjoyed in my reading because there are both days, I am hungry for the Word and there are days I'm not in the reading mood. Still, He hears my confession and what matters is getting through my reading because either way I'm gaining each day by learning.

Regarding televangelists. I know many who do watch church television. Some are very senior men and women and those handicapped and are confined to their home or care home. When they share with me the teachings of Reverends David Jeremiah, Charles Stanley and others, they explain the verb of their message, Scripture and how this can be applied in their lives despite their physical condition.

I personally don't watch church television and Christian Forum Site is the only forum I serve, because I'm usually out in the community and face to face with others, so my people skills are always being honed with learning lessons, especially the spiritual battles. With that said I have great days and tough days.

At the end of the day I love what I do and as long as the Lord blesses me with another brand new day, He isn't done with me. For that I'm truly thankful.

God bless you, Jason, and thank you for sharing.

Many TV preachers do a wonderful ministry such as the ones you mentioned.

It is the faith healers and get rich with God preachers that harm the whole lot.

Back