Lessons From Gideon

Judges tells a story of a man Gideon (Jerubbaal/Contender With Baal). He
obeyed God in everything that he was instructed to do, even whittling the
volunteers to fight the Midianites from 32,000 to 300! That is an example of
faith. He was indeed afraid as told in Judges 7:9-11, which says:

9 Now on the same night it came about that the Lord said to him, “Arise, go down against the camp, for I have handed it over to you.
10 But
if you are afraid to go down, go with Purah your servant down to the camp,
11 so that you will hear what they say; and afterward you will have the courage to go down against the camp.”
So he went down with Purah his servant to the outposts of the army that was in the camp.

But, as John Wayne said, "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up any way."
So he took his 300 men, their jars, their torches, their Shofars, and a whole lot of
faith and gave the Midianites a surprise wake up call with the crashing of the jars,
sudden illumination, and Shofar blasts. Now, if I recall correctly, traditionally, each
jar represented 10,000 troops. So, unless I am wrong, they would have suddenly been
introduced to 300 torches which told them that there were 3,000,000 troops ready to
fight. Well, the Midianites were caught off guard and went to pieces and started fighting
themselves they were so scared and confused. Gideon won the battle without having to
swing a sword because he did as God told him to do.

The point of this starting thread is to present that just because we don't understand
what God is telling us to do and we may even be scared to death we must do what He
says exactly as He says in order for it to work out in our favor and for His glory.

Judges tells a story of a man Gideon (Jerubbaal/Contender With Baal). He
obeyed God in everything that he was instructed to do, even whittling the
volunteers to fight the Midianites from 32,000 to 300! That is an example of
faith. He was indeed afraid as told in Judges 7:9-11, which says:

9 Now on the same night it came about that the Lord said to him, “Arise, go down against the camp, for I have handed it over to you.
10 But
if you are afraid to go down, go with Purah your servant down to the camp,
11 so that you will hear what they say; and afterward you will have the courage to go down against the camp.”
So he went down with Purah his servant to the outposts of the army that was in the camp.

But, as John Wayne said, "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up any way."
So he took his 300 men, their jars, their torches, their Shofars, and a whole lot of
faith and gave the Midianites a surprise wake up call with the crashing of the jars,
sudden illumination, and Shofar blasts. Now, if I recall correctly, traditionally, each
jar represented 10,000 troops. So, unless I am wrong, they would have suddenly been
introduced to 300 torches which told them that there were 3,000,000 troops ready to
fight. Well, the Midianites were caught off guard and went to pieces and started fighting
themselves they were so scared and confused. Gideon won the battle without having to
swing a sword because he did as God told him to do.

The point of this starting thread is to present that just because we don't understand
what God is telling us to do and we may even be scared to death we must do what He
says exactly as He says in order for it to work out in our favor and for His glory.
There is also the obvious matter of His grace being sufficient...

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (KJV) And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in {your} weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Gideon was a lot like doubting Thomas. Gideon wanted proof that God was with him and then he did as God asked.

Doubting Thomas had to see and feel before he believed.
John 20:24-29
But says in verse 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. (KJV)

Back