Laziness versus Zeal for The Lord

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

Before God called me to serve in ministry, there was the challenge I faced as a Christian. That was the misunderstanding and misuse of the talents, skills, abilities and spiritual gifts God gave all of us / me.

In some areas I excelled but became somewhat lackadaisical not only to man but to God. For example, I served as praise leader for many years preparing the songs for the praise and worship set on Sunday. Over time it turned out fine for that Sunday but without the input from my pastor or God, it would have been more anointing.

First, God doesn't expect his creation of music to be buried in the ground, meaning, at times I didn't bother running the selection of the songs/lyrics by my pastor. I just felt the selections were a good set for Sunday. Second, my pastor is held accountable for executing the worship, not the praise band leader.

The lackadaisical and laziness attitude set in with me. Preparing the praise and worship became effortless. My pastor saw that and in time I was asked to step down. My pride was exposed and I reacted, "well then, Pastor, what am I going to do?" He replied calmly, "sit with your wife and just worship, Bob."

That was hard concept to swallow but in time it sank in. Before the music ministry my experience as a musician and singer goes back a ways. I learned that my talent was not being utilized with the discipline of investing in the talents God gave me. I felt my laid back attitude was a resistance toward the Master and only giving Him second best.

Please read and meditate on Matthew 25:14-30.

In Matthew 25:14-30, 14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’ 21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ 22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’ 23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ 24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. 28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
- NIV

This really stung me. I felt like I was weeping and gnashing my teeth with anger, hurt, humiliation, losing sleep all mixed in one. This lasted for weeks. I don't know how I got past it but at some point I got a grip and slowly started to seek and redefine my purpose with God.

What does that mean, "redefine my purpose with God?" He gave me other areas of abilities so I began to put more determination in achieving results and letting go of it being about me, and remembering it being all about Him.

God makes obvious to His children our talents, skills, abilities and spiritual gifts. He assigns each of us according to our abilities and what we can handle within our capacity. What we do with it is KEY.

Well, what about those moments when we feel like we're in a funk, feeling lazy instead of a zeal to serve God for the day? I find that being honest with God first thing in the morning, "Lord, I feel no desire to serve you today. I don't know why I am the way I am but you always know me better and understand me better than myself."

I have been praying this every morning for years. At first, there didn't seem to be any affect because I still felt no different. But in time I found myself in so many different situations each day and I began to remember my confession to God. The discipline kicked in and I found myself determined to do better while using the talents He gave me, not for my benefit but for His Glory as I served others.

After the music ministry setback the Lord slowly began to reveal talents entrusted to me in my marriage, work, and eventually seminary and the pastoral ministry which would have an effect on people's lives and the community. Years would pass and I stepped aside from the music ministry as God led a younger praise musician to lead. Now I was ready to minister to the young musician the disciplines of leading worship.

I have done sermons on this topic, Bible studies and Sunday school. I don't believe in burnout or overwhelmness as an excuse to serve God secondary. He is the One who originally gives us our talents, nor more or less according to our capacities and what we can handle.

Please share your experiences or ask questions. This will give others who may have a common ground with you that could minister or bless them.

God bless you all and your families.

Back