Hell Is A Real Place!

Yes, it does! I am sorry, but the word of God is my authority, and unless you can prove it from scripture, I will disagree. Plus, you verified I am correct with this statement, "which is a presentation of a spiritual truth using an earthly illustration." A real-life event can be an illustration. I hear them from pulpits weekly.

I clearly showed you, and you refuse to acknowledge that Jesus told many parables without first stating they were parables. Luke 16 does not mean a thing; the context does. Chapter markers are not context markers. They may or may not follow the context.

I am trying to be reasonable here, but you are just making statements without proof. You have no evidence that Jesus did not know of a woman who lost her dowery. He could have heard His mother Marry, speak of a friend who lost her coin, and she was frantic. When she found the coin, Jesus remembered what his mom had said; she was so excited. I am not claiming this happened, but there is no way you can prove that Jesus did not base some of his parables on things he knew took place.

I like how you say the tongue and the eyes were "figurative" when it fits your liking, but none of the other parts can be figurative, such as the great gulf.

The pulpit commentary calls it a parable, "The object of the parable, as we shall see, did not include any detailed account of the beggar-man's inner life; just this name is given him to show us why, when he died, he found himself at once in bliss." Luke 16 Pulpit Commentary (biblehub.com)

In H.A. Ironside's commentary on Luke, he has this to say. "On the hand, if we think of any incident used to illustrate truth as a parabolic, then it is perfectly right to speak of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus."

You don't have the ground to stand on to make your claim about it not being a parable. You were just told that if it has a name, it is not a parable. I was told that and believed it, but I have found no proof of that being accurate.

Last, just because I know it is a parable because Jesus used the story to show the Pharisees how covetous they were (Luke 16:8-14) does not mean we can believe Jesus was not being truthful about people who trust in themselves will end up in torment, and those who trust in God will be comforted.

I know it is hard for people to change what they have previously believed. All religions have this problem; the Pharisees crucified Jesus because they did not like what they were hearing.
One of the words used in the NT for  hell is  gehenna, a word derived from the Valley of Hinnon located outside the walls of Jerusalem. This valley was the city's garbage dump where refuse was periodically burned. On the basis of this one can conclude that wherever hell is and whatever transpires there, one certainty is that hell is God's garbage dump where the refuse of creation is discarded.

Hello brothers and sisters;

I have been following the opening thread and reviewed the kind of responses the topic would get. I have concerns. Whether we agree, disagree, agree to disagree or stand by what we believe, it can all remain in the realm of healthy fellowship for the benefit of learning from each other with love and respect.

Dismissing others by using statements such as "you're wrong", "what authority do you make your claim," "you're making statements without proof," etc...is not respectable to the author who initiates the thread.

The world wide public sees our witness in the way we fellowship, pray and discuss topics. Personally, many times when I wanted to jump in and post, after praying I was led not to post.

The staff prayerfully monitors the author's initial threads and member's posts and will hold all accountable (or edit/delete if necessary) when the fellowship deters from a friendly Christian forum.

Let's all remember to be prayerful and receiving before we post instead of dismissing and reactive. Many times the former can be profitable in our discussions.

The staff is available to discuss further the forum rules with anyone via pm.

God bless you all and your families.

One of the words used in the NT for  hell is  gehenna, a word derived from the Valley of Hinnon located outside the walls of Jerusalem. This valley was the city's garbage dump where refuse was periodically burned. On the basis of this one can conclude that wherever hell is and whatever transpires there, one certainty is that hell is God's garbage dump where the refuse of creation is discarded.

I fully believe in hell, and I believe that the parable of the rich man and Lazarus enforce that concept. I believe hell is not the annihilation of the soul, or else why would Jesus say fear not man who can destroy the body, but fear God who can destroy both the body and the soul in hell? My whole discussion was about properly understanding the story Jesus used as a parable. I also believe we cannot be overly dogmatic about the details because when the Bible speaks about the spiritual world, it is done in either poetry or symbolism.

Yes, it does! I am sorry, but the word of God is my authority, and unless you can prove it from scripture, I will disagree. Plus, you verified I am correct with this statement, "which is a presentation of a spiritual truth using an earthly illustration." A real-life event can be an illustration. I hear them from pulpits weekly.

I clearly showed you, and you refuse to acknowledge that Jesus told many parables without first stating they were parables. Luke 16 does not mean a thing; the context does. Chapter markers are not context markers. They may or may not follow the context.

I am trying to be reasonable here, but you are just making statements without proof. You have no evidence that Jesus did not know of a woman who lost her dowery. He could have heard His mother Marry, speak of a friend who lost her coin, and she was frantic. When she found the coin, Jesus remembered what his mom had said; she was so excited. I am not claiming this happened, but there is no way you can prove that Jesus did not base some of his parables on things he knew took place.

I like how you say the tongue and the eyes were "figurative" when it fits your liking, but none of the other parts can be figurative, such as the great gulf.

The pulpit commentary calls it a parable, "The object of the parable, as we shall see, did not include any detailed account of the beggar-man's inner life; just this name is given him to show us why, when he died, he found himself at once in bliss." Luke 16 Pulpit Commentary (biblehub.com)

In H.A. Ironside's commentary on Luke, he has this to say. "On the hand, if we think of any incident used to illustrate truth as a parabolic, then it is perfectly right to speak of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus."

You don't have the ground to stand on to make your claim about it not being a parable. You were just told that if it has a name, it is not a parable. I was told that and believed it, but I have found no proof of that being accurate.

Last, just because I know it is a parable because Jesus used the story to show the Pharisees how covetous they were (Luke 16:8-14) does not mean we can believe Jesus was not being truthful about people who trust in themselves will end up in torment, and those who trust in God will be comforted.

I know it is hard for people to change what they have previously believed. All religions have this problem; the Pharisees crucified Jesus because they did not like what they were hearing.
I am sorry my friend, but due to the language I am reading from you, and the accusations, are makeing me very uncomfortable so I am going to withdraw from this conversation with you. It is clear that you want to argue and be confrontational so I will allow you to do that with someone else.

Have blessed life and be safe.

Back