Christians and the Humble Brag

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I intentionally posted this thread in the Doctrinal Discussions forum, about a conduct we must be conscious of in our lives and ministry.

One of the most important areas in our daily walk with Christ is our witness. From my personal study throughout the book of Acts I learned how Jesus' servants were led by the Holy Spirit to share the Gospel. I believe the servants also shared their personal story that led them to Christ.

But in my prayer time I noticed that as I share my story I wonder if behind what I say or write whether I'm humble bragging without knowing it? I may start off as sounding like a suffering servant who has worked hard, had setbacks in my discipleship; how God turned it all around and blessed me with achievement, success, material needs met, academics and good health, etc..

My prayer time and Bible reading brought me to the point of doing a self check and conviction. Is my story taking away God's glory while crediting my perseverance and resilience?

In Jeremiah 9:23-24, 23 Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” - ESV

We are to share the Gospel to whom the Lord leads us to and this is very important in the internet forums and chat rooms. But whether we're face to face, on our electronics or the internet; it's important to express our "Praise God Moments" as an inspiration to share our testimony in a positive light but always through God's proper direction.

What is everyone's thoughts? Are we aware about the humble brag?

God bless
you all and your families.

Is my story taking away God's glory while crediting my perseverance and resilience?
bobinfaith good topic.

If I may, a common point of reference:
noun: humble brag
  1. an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud.
But in my prayer time I noticed that as I share my story I wonder if behind what I say or write whether I'm humble bragging without knowing it?
I don’t believe that you are edifying the Lord and His good works for ego gratification, just the opposite. I don’t doubt there are those that do, but I find it difficult to believe they are unaware, more likely they are so needy as to use God’s glory indifferently.

I believe it is vital to share our personal testimonies in order to encourage and lift each other up. To know what others have overcome is inspiring, reaffirming and reassuring.

To hear another’s testimony makes it real.

I offer these scriptures in support:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

"I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith."
Romans 1:11-12

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:24-25

God bless you bobinfaith and please keep sharing your testimony with an open heart. The Lord knows and guides your heart in this and it ministers to me and others here.

I intentionally posted this thread in the Doctrinal Discussions forum, about a conduct we must be conscious of in our lives and ministry.

One of the most important areas in our daily walk with Christ is our witness. From my personal study throughout the book of Acts I learned how Jesus' servants were led by the Holy Spirit to share the Gospel. I believe the servants also shared their personal story that led them to Christ.

But in my prayer time I noticed that as I share my story I wonder if behind what I say or write whether I'm humble bragging without knowing it? I may start off as sounding like a suffering servant who has worked hard, had setbacks in my discipleship; how God turned it all around and blessed me with achievement, success, material needs met, academics and good health, etc..

My prayer time and Bible reading brought me to the point of doing a self check and conviction. Is my story taking away God's glory while crediting my perseverance and resilience?

In Jeremiah 9:23-24, 23 Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” - ESV

We are to share the Gospel to whom the Lord leads us to and this is very important in the internet forums and chat rooms. But whether we're face to face, on our electronics or the internet; it's important to express our "Praise God Moments" as an inspiration to share our testimony in a positive light but always through God's proper direction.

God bless
I'm proud of my humility 😁.

bobinfaith good topic.

If I may, a common point of reference:
noun: humble brag
  1. an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud.

I don’t believe that you are edifying the Lord and His good works for ego gratification, just the opposite. I don’t doubt there are those that do, but I find it difficult to believe they are unaware, more likely they are so needy as to use God’s glory indifferently.

I believe it is vital to share our personal testimonies in order to encourage and lift each other up. To know what others have overcome is inspiring, reaffirming and reassuring.

To hear another’s testimony makes it real.

I offer these scriptures in support:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

"I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith."
Romans 1:11-12

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:24-25

God bless you bobinfaith and please keep sharing your testimony with an open heart. The Lord knows and guides your heart in this and it ministers to me and others here.

Hello blueskies;

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

To reiterate what Jeremiah says in chapter 9:24, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” - ESV

When we get too wrapped up in our life, family, ministry, etc...our thoughts and words constantly form. God knows this and in His Word provides teaching and tools for our discipline of self check, testing or examining oneself in all instances giving Him the constant glory.

God bless you, brother.

Hello blueskies;

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

To reiterate what Jeremiah says in chapter 9:24, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” - ESV

When we get too wrapped up in our life, family, ministry, etc...our thoughts and words constantly form. God knows this and in His Word provides teaching and tools for our discipline of self check, testing or examining oneself in all instances giving Him the constant glory.

God bless you, brother.
I never heard of the topic. I had to look it up! I guess I need to not call Jr. Samples a friend anymore!

God bless
Good topic! (Hitting the reply button so you can get notification :))

I first heard of the "humblebrag" a few years ago on Reformed blogs and web sites. This seems to be a relatively recently coined term.

I remember there were some in the community who got caught up in the 16 type system, which some of us are familiar with through Myers-Briggs tests. However, some in the Reformed community decided that the Myers-Briggs tests were too subjective, and sought to type other people through what they saw as objective, realistic science -- through their own observations. The system was called "Brain Typing."

This typing system had the same 16 types in Myers-Briggs, but instead of giving people tests, they were evaluated by an expert who was said to have one of the "rare" types that was good at observing and categorizing others.

How do you suppose "rarer" types can be viewed in this system?

Over the years, some people in this community became convinced that most Americans were "ENTP" types. ENTP was said to make up about 50% of the modern day United States populace (by contrast. Myers-Briggs tests typically put them at 5%). ENTP was also stated to tend toward the immoral, Hollywood, leftism, used car salesmen, crooked politicians, and the like. Types perceived as "rarer" and "humbler" and more "modest," such as ISTJ, INFP, were considered inherently more moral.

It was a "humblebrag" to be one of these types, instead of ENTP. While the ENTP was seen as outwardly successful in American society, ISTJ and INFP and other types could be "proud" that they were rare, conservative, and modest, instead of the loud, common Hollywood leftist ENTP.

?
I think American culture values the extroversion types, and the ability to self-promote, because of the industrialisation after it achieved Independence. In Hollywood the whole culture is based on networking and the ability to see and be seen to promote your brand. To get up the corporate ladder, you have to be able to schmooze.

Investigative books such as Quiet the power of Introverts and tomes such as 'How to win friends and Influence People' sort of point to the culture that you kind of have to basically con people to get ahead, as everyone's their own salesperson.

The other thing is now 'pride' has been co-opted by another group, to be 'out' instead of closeted. But then people who are married also have their own pride - look at how successful I am, have perfect house, family, nice clothes, rich retirement package etc. I played all my cards right kind of thing. I now have a lifestyle and a white picket fence. My own kingdom! That's not humble at all!

It's really only by the grace of God we are here and alive.
When Paul boasted of his weakness he was beaten up and imprisoned...BUT that also meant he could reach out to prisoners and gentiles with the gospel. Before that gentiles were seen as not worthy of the Kingdom of God.

Good topic! (Hitting the reply button so you can get notification :))

I first heard of the "humblebrag" a few years ago on Reformed blogs and web sites. This seems to be a relatively recently coined term.

I remember there were some in the community who got caught up in the 16 type system, which some of us are familiar with through Myers-Briggs tests. However, some in the Reformed community decided that the Myers-Briggs tests were too subjective, and sought to type other people through what they saw as objective, realistic science -- through their own observations. The system was called "Brain Typing."

This typing system had the same 16 types in Myers-Briggs, but instead of giving people tests, they were evaluated by an expert who was said to have one of the "rare" types that was good at observing and categorizing others.

How do you suppose "rarer" types can be viewed in this system?

Over the years, some people in this community became convinced that most Americans were "ENTP" types. ENTP was said to make up about 50% of the modern day United States populace (by contrast. Myers-Briggs tests typically put them at 5%). ENTP was also stated to tend toward the immoral, Hollywood, leftism, used car salesmen, crooked politicians, and the like. Types perceived as "rarer" and "humbler" and more "modest," such as ISTJ, INFP, were considered inherently more moral.

It was a "humblebrag" to be one of these types, instead of ENTP. While the ENTP was seen as outwardly successful in American society, ISTJ and INFP and other types could be "proud" that they were rare, conservative, and modest, instead of the loud, common Hollywood leftist ENTP.

Hey kdm1984;

I remember taking the Myers-Briggs test back in 2015 and kept my copy. If I remember this test had the acronyms ENTP (extroverted, intuitive, thinking and perceiving) ISTJ (introverted, sensing, thinking, perceiving) and INFP (introverted, quiet, reserved, and thoughtful.)

Is it designed to determine what kind of person you are permanently, or a chart to help you change who you are for improvement in life?

People seem confused about personality tests. It's a tool.

It help people you see where you can work with other people or might clash. Its not about changing who you are but working with what your special qualities are in fields/roles that are best suited to you. It's not a chart where one is better than the other or you go up all these levels, it sort of encompasses all the combinations of ways you related to yourself and others and motivations behind what you do.

Other tests tend to categorise people into just 4 different types. But MTBI has 16 so there's a lot of variety but its more specific.

Hey kdm1984;

I remember taking the Myers-Briggs test back in 2015 and kept my copy. If I remember this test had the acronyms ENTP (extroverted, intuitive, thinking and perceiving) ISTJ (introverted, sensing, thinking, perceiving) and INFP (introverted, quiet, reserved, and thoughtful.)

Is it designed to determine what kind of person you are permanently, or a chart to help you change who you are for improvement in life?
Kind of both.

In the "Brain Types" version, type was said to be inborn and unchangeable, although environmental influences were thought to still have some influence. For example, an introvert raised with two extrovert parents might become more skilled than a typical introvert at being sociable. But their inborn type would still be introverted.

A problem I saw a lot, was introverts being proud they weren't extroverts, or intuitive types who believed that sensing types were "dumber." As with all of mankind's classification systems, we can get caught up thinking we're better than another. Even in the Reformed community, an ISTJ could become "proud" they could follow God's Law supposedly better than the ENTP, who would rather live creatively and think outside the box.

(I was classified INTP by Beyond Personality. A humble brag problem I can have would be, well, maybe I'm not as gifted at following all of God's Law as the ISTJ, but I could brag about being less swayed by Hollywood, as an introvert.)

Hard work and perserverance often DO pay off but sometimes it is down to luck and timing as well.
And often people don't even have a reward for hard work or perserverance because it takes a long time... many people these days want things done instantly or yesterday and it perfect. They don't see the blood, sweat and tears to bring it about.

Its probably a faith thing that you need to trust the Lord and leave it in His hands. He can give but He can also take away. Like Samsons was strong right but only because of his hair when Delilah cut it off he was as weak as a kitten. Didn't his weakness lead him to eventually crush God's enemies too at the end of his life?

There's always stories like that in the Bible. Paul was really good at persecuting Christians until he was converted and became best at loving new Christians. God can use our weaknesses and turn them around for His purposes.

Emphasis on His purposes, not our own. eg if Paul was doing it for his own glory he'd probably boast of mega churches in his own name and free meals wherever he went right?

? I think American culture values the extroversion types, and the ability to self-promote, because of the industrialisation after it achieved Independence. In Hollywood the whole culture is based on networking and the ability to see and be seen to promote your brand. To get up the corporate ladder, you have to be able to schmooze. Investigative books such as Quiet the power of Introverts and tomes such as 'How to win friends and Influence People' sort of point to the culture that you kind of have to basically con people to get ahead, as everyone's their own salesperson. The other thing is now 'pride' has been co-opted by another group, to be 'out' instead of closeted. But then people who are married also have their own pride - look at how successful I am, have perfect house, family, nice clothes, rich retirement package etc. I played all my cards right kind of thing. I now have a lifestyle and a white picket fence. My own kingdom! That's not humble at all! It's really only by the grace of God we are here and alive. When Paul boasted of his weakness he was beaten up and imprisoned...BUT that also meant he could reach out to prisoners and gentiles with the gospel. Before that gentiles were seen as not worthy of the Kingdom of God.

Hollywood actually needs introverts - mostly behind the cameras. lol There's always a long list of credits at the end of a film....its just the lead actors that have star billing. They can't fit everyone's names on there..!

There is truth to what Lanolin shares. A lot of American culture is built on success, fame from entertainment, sports, and even celebratory religious figures.

I also believe this exists throughout the world stage. In both, would one say the extroverts more than introverts play a part in this?

I was thinking about specific servants such as Moses, Saul, David, Jesus, Peter, Paul were all extroverts. But in the New Testament John the Baptist was an introvert, a low key dude that was a loner but did a mighty work in baptising new believers.

None of them gave me the impression of humble bragging.

I might be wrong but I have always imagined Moses, the stutterer, as an introvert. At least Charles Heston seemed to play that role in The Ten Commandments. lol
Yes, my Reformed friends typed Moses as INFP. Other Bible figures they typed: David (ENFP), Solomon (the dreaded ENTP), Apostle Peter (ESTP), Apostle John (INTP), Apostle Paul (ENTJ).

Back