Your Commentary on Numbers 1-4?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Every year I read the Book of Numbers. Throughout this Book God is preparing Israel to enter the Promised Land. God's patience is tried by the people through their grumbling and rebellion toward Moses. Eventually they would end up at the east of the Jordan.

Here's my problem. I have always met the first part of this study in chapters 1 - 4 as
dry reading. God commanded Moses to take a census in chapters 1 - 4.

Chapter 1, The census of Israel as a nation
Chapter 2, The arrangement of the tribal camps surrounding the Tabernacle
Chapter 3, The role of the Levites
Chapter 4, The role and census of the Levitical Kohathites, Gershonites, Merarites and the total census of the Levite clans.

For those who have studied the deeper background, theme and narrative of Numbers,
you are blessed.

So I ask, why did God command Moses to take a census of His people, including the men who were 20 years or more and prepared for the army, count and make a list of the names of males who were 1 month or older in the Levite and Israelite clans? After all, wouldn't God already know the grand total, names and roles of each census?

Could it be that God was still building up Moses and testing his obedience and the ability to delegate a long, time consuming, tedious and cumbersome task? This is my question.

This is not a quiz but an invitation for a commentary from your study of what Numbers chapters 1 - 4 teaches.

Instead of a one word or sentence post, let's challenge and share our commentary. The more we can expound on chapters 1 - 4 or even further in Numbers, the more we can bless others in this topic.

God bless
you, brothers and sisters.

Bob

Every nation must know their own census. Every leader must know how to lead. It's not an automatic skill. . Keep in mind Exodus 18 where Jethro teaches Moses to delegate.

Every nation must know their own census. Every leader must know how to lead. It's not an automatic skill. . Keep in mind Exodus 18 where Jethro teaches Moses to delegate.

Hello LearningToLetGo;

I agree with you and love how Jethro came for a visit but ended up advising Moses after seeing the weight his son in law was putting on himself while judging matters with the people, all of them!

God bless you, Jason.

More to come...

I haven't studied Numbers at all myself, so I read through 1-4 again and I look at it through the lens of what I have learned about the law giving books of the Bible and the situation the Israelites were in during their journey out of slavery to the Promised land. I always remember that this is a people who were told what to do on a regular basis as slaves in Egypt. What were they adept or skilled at? Gathering food, laboring in the fields or with livestock or building construction...you name it, anything labor intensive or just extra sets of hands for wealthy Egyptians. The Israelites would have had lots of basic and advanced skills involving working with their hands. On the other hand, they had little to no experience organizing leadership, much less a society. Rules and laws were given by others. They went from having slave masters to no rules at all! Imagine that! When I do, I imagine the chaos and pushing and shoving in any dispute. Families would rally together to stand up to another over almost anything, even basics like food supply. This had to be a nightmare for Moses to deal with.

So with this in mind, God is giving this people instructions on how to organize a society, laws for how to punish wrong doing. How to keep them from collapsing into a depraved existence like many of the surrounding cities and tribes. Right and wrong had to be established, not from the whim of a corruptible human dictator or strongman, but from a loving Holy God. The God who knew true right and wrong and the reasons we need these guide rails to be prosperous.

So in Numbers 1-4 we have God calling for a census to teach them how to organize their camps, get numbers for military membership to be called upon, and how the Levites are separate for the responsibilities of the tabernacle. Leadership levels seem to be set up in these passages as well.

One thing I do remember from a teaching I heard on Numbers was that the camp set up was with the tabernacle in the center, with branches of camps to the North, East, South and West. This formed the representation of the Cross.
The East represents the right hand, so these were the first camps to pull up stakes when they had to move. In the interior near the tabernacle, Moses and Aaron were positioned to the east as right hand men.
The South represents the feet of Christ, and at the interior near the tabernacle, the Levites who were given the task of moving the Holy parts of the tabernacle were at the south part.
The North represents the Head, so the Levites, who were in charge of the framework of the tabernacle, camped there.
The West side were in charge of the coverings that went on the framework.

More in depth study might reveal other parts of this "Cross" representation as well. This is what jumped out at me right away.

Hello brothers and sisters;

Every year I read the Book of Numbers. Throughout this Book God is preparing Israel to enter the Promised Land. God's patience is tried by the people through their grumbling and rebellion toward Moses. Eventually they would end up at the east of the Jordan.

Here's my problem. I have always met the first part of this study in chapters 1 - 4 as
dry reading. God commanded Moses to take a census in chapters 1 - 4.

Chapter 1, The census of Israel as a nation
Chapter 2, The arrangement of the tribal camps surrounding the Tabernacle
Chapter 3, The role of the Levites
Chapter 4, The role and census of the Levitical Kohathites, Gershonites, Merarites and the total census of the Levite clans.

For those who have studied the deeper background, theme and narrative of Numbers,
you are blessed.

So I ask, why did God command Moses to take a census of His people, including the men who were 20 years or more and prepared for the army, count and make a list of the names of males who were 1 month or older in the Levite and Israelite clans? After all, wouldn't God already know the grand total, names and roles of each census?

Could it be that God was still building up Moses and testing his obedience and the ability to delegate a long, time consuming, tedious and cumbersome task? This is my question.

This is not a quiz but an invitation for a commentary from your study of what Numbers chapters 1 - 4 teaches.

Instead of a one word or sentence post, let's challenge and share our commentary. The more we can expound on chapters 1 - 4 or even further in Numbers, the more we can bless others in this topic.

God bless
you, brothers and sisters.

Bob

As you know, "numbers/Bible" math is my hobby!

As you answer you question of WHY did God tell Moses to do a census, according to Numbers 1:3--it concerned war preparations.

This would explain why women were not included in the census and males under twenty were not counted. The census did not leave out women and young people due to anything related to their social status but rather due to their military ineligibility.

Numbers 1:45–46 provides a summary of the census: .........
“All the Israelites twenty years old or more who were able to serve in Israel’s army were counted according to their families. The total number was 603,550.”

Now for my "hobby".......The number 50, which holds biblical and spiritual meaning, symbolizes unity, completeness, and new beginnings.

That nation was on the verge of entering the Promised Land. Although God gave that Land to them, they had to Possess it and that would be by War. Lesson........Anything worth having must have an investment!

I haven't studied Numbers at all myself, so I read through 1-4 again and I look at it through the lens of what I have learned about the law giving books of the Bible and the situation the Israelites were in during their journey out of slavery to the Promised land. I always remember that this is a people who were told what to do on a regular basis as slaves in Egypt. What were they adept or skilled at? Gathering food, laboring in the fields or with livestock or building construction...you name it, anything labor intensive or just extra sets of hands for wealthy Egyptians. The Israelites would have had lots of basic and advanced skills involving working with their hands. On the other hand, they had little to no experience organizing leadership, much less a society. Rules and laws were given by others. They went from having slave masters to no rules at all! Imagine that! When I do, I imagine the chaos and pushing and shoving in any dispute. Families would rally together to stand up to another over almost anything, even basics like food supply. This had to be a nightmare for Moses to deal with.

So with this in mind, God is giving this people instructions on how to organize a society, laws for how to punish wrong doing. How to keep them from collapsing into a depraved existence like many of the surrounding cities and tribes. Right and wrong had to be established, not from the whim of a corruptible human dictator or strongman, but from a loving Holy God. The God who knew true right and wrong and the reasons we need these guide rails to be prosperous.

So in Numbers 1-4 we have God calling for a census to teach them how to organize their camps, get numbers for military membership to be called upon, and how the Levites are separate for the responsibilities of the tabernacle. Leadership levels seem to be set up in these passages as well.

One thing I do remember from a teaching I heard on Numbers was that the camp set up was with the tabernacle in the center, with branches of camps to the North, East, South and West. This formed the representation of the Cross.
The East represents the right hand, so these were the first camps to pull up stakes when they had to move. In the interior near the tabernacle, Moses and Aaron were positioned to the east as right hand men.
The South represents the feet of Christ, and at the interior near the tabernacle, the Levites who were given the task of moving the Holy parts of the tabernacle were at the south part.
The North represents the Head, so the Levites, who were in charge of the framework of the tabernacle, camped there.
The West side were in charge of the coverings that went on the framework.

More in depth study might reveal other parts of this "Cross" representation as well. This is what jumped out at me right away.

Hello Big Moose;

You shared an excellent post on Numbers 1 - 4. Thank you for bringing up the fact that for 400 years the Egyptians bonded the Israelites in slavery but spoon fed them in basic and advanced skills besides provide food.

After Moses led God's people out of Egypt, all of a sudden the Israelites didn't know how to manage or function in their lives. God knew this and had to build up His people to worship and trust Him only, but allow themselves to be guided by Him through Moses.

You share an interesting note about the Tabernacle in the center while the tribes systematically surrounded the temple forming the cross. I never thought of that as a continued student of the Bible.

The part that stuck out with me was while God was giving instructions of order and structure the people grumbled and I have to wonder how Moses felt hearing the whining but he himself taking on such a huge task from God. I'm sure he had to restrain and guard his tongue with the people and God's instruction which may have felt overwhelming.

I still have to deal with my own attitude when reading Numbers in the first 4 chapters. There is a reason God had this part of His Word written and would do me good to understand what He is teaching us.

God bless you, brother.

As you know, "numbers/Bible" math is my hobby! As you answer you question of WHY did God tell Moses to do a census, according to Numbers 1:3--it concerned war preparations. This would explain why women were not included in the census and males under twenty were not counted. The census did not leave out women and young people due to anything related to their social status but rather due to their military ineligibility. Numbers 1:45–46 provides a summary of the census: .........“All the Israelites twenty years old or more who were able to serve in Israel’s army were counted according to their families. The total number was 603,550.” Now for my "hobby".......The number 50, which holds biblical and spiritual meaning, symbolizes unity, completeness, and new beginnings. That nation was on the verge of entering the Promised Land. Although God gave that Land to them, they had to Possess it and that would be by War. Lesson........Anything worth having must have an investment!

Hello Major;

I know you include Numbers/Bible math in your hobby including your teaching. God bless you for that.

The number 50 represents new beginnings amongst other meanings, and with new beginnings;

Years ago when I first learned about the census total of 603, 550 I actually took out my calculator to see if census of the nations would arrive at that. God was correct. lol!

The preparation before entering the Promised Land would come with consequences, for example;

The Israelites wandered for 40 years before entering the Promised Land. There a reason God chose 40 years. Was it designed to purge the previous generations, or was there another reason?

After all Moses in leading the Israelites, God didn't allow Moses to enter the Promised Land for disobedience and dishonor in God's instruction of speaking to the rock, and instead he struck it.

I consider these points as Anything worth having must have an investment! - quote Major

God bless you, Major.

Hello Major;

I know you include Numbers/Bible math in your hobby including your teaching. God bless you for that.

The number 50 represents new beginnings amongst other meanings, and with new beginnings;

Years ago when I first learned about the census total of 603, 550 I actually took out my calculator to see if census of the nations would arrive at that. God was correct. lol!

The preparation before entering the Promised Land would come with consequences, for example;

The Israelites wandered for 40 years before entering the Promised Land. There a reason God chose 40 years. Was it designed to purge the previous generations, or was there another reason?

After all Moses in leading the Israelites, God didn't allow Moses to enter the Promised Land for disobedience and dishonor in God's instruction of speaking to the rock, and instead he struck it.

I consider these points as Anything worth having must have an investment! - quote Major

God bless you, Major.
Joshua 5:6 I believe gives you the answer.........
"For the people of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, until all the nation, the men of war who came out of Egypt, perished, because they did not obey the voice of the LORD; the LORD swore to them that he would not let them see the land that the LORD had sworn to their fathers to give to us, a land flowing with milk and honey."

The nation was NOT lost and wandering. They were being "judged" by God.

8:2-3............
"And you shall remember the whole way that the Lord your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord."

There is a great lesson to be learned here Bob. Think about all the people who were in the "Wilderness" of life..........
Abraham and Sarah waiting for their promised son for twenty-five years.
Joseph sold into slavery by his brothers then falsely accused and imprisoned.
Moses serving as a shepherd in the wilderness for forty years then leading thousands of complaining people.
Job losing his children, wealth, and health.
Ruth and Naomi losing their husbands and becoming destitute.
David running for his life and seeking refuge in deserts, caves, and forests.
Elijah fleeing into the wilderness to hide from Jezebel then praying for God to take his life.
Jeremiah thrown into a muddy cistern.
Daniel sent into exile in Babylon and later placed in a lion’s den.
Peter arrested, beaten and imprisoned.
Paul arrested, flogged, imprisoned, shipwrecked, and stoned.

Looking at the big picture leads to a conclusion we can apply to our lives.............
the wilderness is not permanent, but it is God’s plan for our lives. That may not sound encouraging, but remember God is leading and teaching vital lessons—humility, obedience, and dependence—in the wilderness.

Back