When Others Want More Than You Have To Give.

I've become increasingly wary of charity organizations since more and more of them are a career stronghold for nepotism and other various -isms, with large percentages of their intake consumed by the internal organizational structure with plush offices. That's not an indictment against all, but many have changed course into that vein.

I could say much, much more on this topic, but will not belabor the point.

MM

In this day and age, and with everything that has happened here, I can't say that I blame you for feeling like that. The only one we can truly trust in is God and I place my faith in Him that what we give through the church will find those who need it.

In this day and age, and with everything that has happened here, I can't say that I blame you for feeling like that. The only one we can truly trust in is God and I place my faith in Him that what we give through the church will find those who need it.

I remember when United Way was caught up in a scandal two or three decades ago, with the CEO reported to have been taking the Concord Jet to Europe, allegedly on United Way business, claiming that the only way to get to all his appointments, he needed the faster travel option (which is just another way of saying that there's no way in heck that I'm ever going to ride coach). Every "expenditure" within professionally managed charities is a nullification of many people's giving.

So, when it's said that they can do more good than individuals, where would they be without all those individuals willing to give? They would have to get gainful employment, actually being productive. Were those individuals out giving their alms on the streets, their giving would be 100% in the hands of those in need rather than feeding the careers and extravagant travel of the executive class. Now, I realize that's not always the case, so please keep that in mind.

I know a man who runs a small storefront charity, selling cloths and some foods to people in need, and they too are making their living off the proceeds of the donations. Many would argue that they are worthy of the take in order to continue, such as Goodwill and others, but when I look at organizations like Goodwill, which has grown in leaps and bounds, with VERY fancy facilities rivaling some retailers, and seeing that they really don't provide anything to the poor other than to sell goods to them at a reduced price...uhhh, no! No thanks!

When I give bags of groceries, tanks of gas, pay some bills for those in need, they are not having to shell out anything from their pockets. THAT is genuine giving. There's no middle man standing there, pocketing 30 to 80% of what I hand over to the needy, leaving them with only the leftover crumbs that fall from the table.

It's one thing to provide for the itinerant minister of the Gospel who blessed us with their labors and itinerant travel, but this idea of professional charities and clergy class ministry professions, that's unknown to the scriptures. Knowing the Gospel and sharing it with others as mature followers of Christ, we are ourselves now fellow laborers in the Gospel with the hirelings who do it as a paid profession within the institutional model. I'm not saying the institutional model is wrong in and of itself. Ministry is the responsibility of us all, not just the clergy class of the institutional model. Giving my primary giving, back in the day, through the institutional model is no different, which was given that only the leftovers were generally utilized for the meeting of genuine needs.

Just my less than two cents worth...since it was filtered through a middle man...:rolleyes:

MM

FIFTY (Minimum) opportunities (Approaching people) in a day. It is a LOT more than that but I was being nice.

Now, I am not trying to be antagonistic, but rational!

What hospital do you know of that would preform a major surgery without any medical insurance????

Being injured, my 1st thought is who was responsible, car Insurance?

Do you really think that he was being truthful to you. Could that scare have been from a knife fight?

Psalms 116:11.......
"I said in my haste, All men are liars."
Ok, let's make sure I get this. It is your opinion that every person that is on the streets asking for money is a hustle?

That scar was surgical. The scar went right along the length of his spine, and you can clearly see the stitch marks.

I am not naive, so I know that there are people out there that ask for money as a career. Personally, I would rather be taken advantage of by five than wrongfully judge one. I've just never been able to paint everyone with one brush stroke.

Having said all of that, I acknowledge that I might be wrong about this one particular guy. If I am wrong, it's on him. If I am right and judge him wrong, it's on me.

I think I am going to make it a point to know more about this guy.

Ok, let's make sure I get this. It is your opinion that every person that is on the streets asking for money is a hustle?

That scar was surgical. The scar went right along the length of his spine, and you can clearly see the stitch marks.

I am not naive, so I know that there are people out there that ask for money as a career. Personally, I would rather be taken advantage of by five than wrongfully judge one. I've just never been able to paint everyone with one brush stroke.

Having said all of that, I acknowledge that I might be wrong about this one particular guy. If I am wrong, it's on him. If I am right and judge him wrong, it's on me.

I think I am going to make it a point to know more about this guy.
Pretty much!

It is obviouse that you have a soft heart and I commend you for that. However, reality is a lot different. Maybe this man is the one in a hundred, I have no idea. All I did was give you real facts of what was observed.

If it makes you feel good giving away money then do it!

2 Thess. 3:10............
"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

Pretty much!

It is obviouse that you have a soft heart and I commend you for that. However, reality is a lot different. Maybe this man is the one in a hundred, I have no idea. All I did was give you real facts of what was observed.

If it makes you feel good giving away money then do it!

2 Thess. 3:10............
"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."
Well, I would say that with a history of over 25 years in law enforcement, I am pretty familiar with reality. In my life, I have come across many people who were not what they appeared to be (both good and bad).

The $1.00 bills I throw in my glove compartment I have already committed to give away. My life will not be impacted by this; however, there is a slight chance that it might impact others. I mean, it's only a buck so I do not expect to be considered a great philanthropist.

To be honest with you, I don't even feel any emotional impact by this. Most people to consider me a but foolish by this, put I am ok with that. I do so, fully aware it might be a hustle.

Matthew 25:35 - 40 (NASB)
For I was hungry, and you gave Me
something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’

For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’

Hello blueskies;

This passage always puts a couple of thoughts in me. I cannot keep score how many times I tended or didn't attend to another for Jesus. Because it can lead to an indifference in my attitude toward Christ just by "checking off" each of the serving verses.

We cannot afford to waste the resources God gives us - love, compassion, mercy, kindness and even forgiveness to those who throw darts and arrows at us.

We may be going around in circles in this discussion but I wanted to throw that out there.

What are your thoughts?

God bless you, brother.

For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’

It is circular reasoning!

If it makes anyone feel good.......do it!

It is circular reasoning!

If it makes anyone feel good.......do it!
Interesting. Does empathy always result in someone "feeling good?" For that matter, is it actually empathy or sympathy?

I like to follow the idea that "There but for the Grace of God go I."

This is something I struggle with, professionally, almost every day. Some of my investigators, especially the young ones, tend to make up their minds long before their investigations are complete. In most cases they are right; however, this predisposition tends to skew their approach quite a bit and greatly increase the possibility of taking shortcuts just because they know the end. There has been more than one occasion when they turn in a report with a conclusion that is based on their opinion rather than their evidence.

This passage always puts a couple of thoughts in me. I cannot keep score how many times I tended or didn't attend to another for Jesus.
Thank you bobinfaith
As I see this passage there are levels and levels.
As you indicate, Jesus is telling His disciples about when He will return to the earth as King and Judge. On another level I see Him teaching that we are to treat all people as we would treat Him if He was standing beside us as a witness to our actions.
We cannot afford to waste the resources God gives us - love, compassion, mercy, kindness and even forgiveness to those who throw darts and arrows at us.
I am not sure who was advocating wasting resources. We should not be giving that which is needed to support home and family. Anything we give should come from a surplus of Gods bounty.

Some are blessed with more than is needed to maintain home and hearth and are able to occasionally give a dollar, or buy a sandwich and a drink for someone we see thirsting or in hunger.

It may may make us feel good when we do this, but that’s not really what Jesus is saying is it? To only do that which makes us feel good?

I have worked around and with the homeless, the mentally ill, and the substance dependent. I don’t like to be scammed. But I don’t see all those on the street with the same face, they are people, individuals, each with their own stories.

I believe we are our brothers keepers as far as to what the circumstances are, and the resources that we have will allow.

I imagine we all give where and when we perceive a need, and have the means. This will vary among us, and that I believe, IS Gods plan.
God Bless.

Hello Major;

Circular reasoning? I like that, circular reasoning. It sounds like something familiar at CFS. lol!

You know, when I felt like I didn't feel like doing something for Christ but did it, it did feel good later, and right.

God bless
you, brother.
Agreed. It is all about how what we do makes us feel.

I do not rebuke or condemn those who feel lead to help the ones who refuse to work. It is something we all have to deal with on a personal level.

I can only say that when I have a dollar to give to anyone, I go to my church and make a SPECIFIC GIFT and DESIGNATE it to go to a homeless shelter.

Interesting. Does empathy always result in someone "feeling good?" For that matter, is it actually empathy or sympathy?

I like to follow the idea that "There but for the Grace of God go I."

This is something I struggle with, professionally, almost every day. Some of my investigators, especially the young ones, tend to make up their minds long before their investigations are complete. In most cases they are right; however, this predisposition tends to skew their approach quite a bit and greatly increase the possibility of taking shortcuts just because they know the end. There has been more than one occasion when they turn in a report with a conclusion that is based on their opinion rather than their evidence.
Isn't Empathy and sympathy both ways we respond to the suffering of people around us????

They sound the same to me!

As did I.........As did I.

I am 100% sure that you have a pure heart!
I can only tell you the facts of real life as I experienced it and I can count on one hand the cases of real life homeless people who we as a church helped that was not a scam.

We probably had 12 people a week come asking for money. We established a committee of 4 people who would investigate the need to see if the help we gave financially was valid. There were a few that was legitimate (one hand) but the rest were all bogus.

I am blessed to know that you are focused on helping those you belive are in need! Good work!

Thank you bobinfaith As I see this passage there are levels and levels. As you indicate, Jesus is telling His disciples about when He will return to the earth as King and Judge. On another level I see Him teaching that we are to treat all people as we would treat Him if He was standing beside us as a witness to our actions. I am not sure who was advocating wasting resources. We should not be giving that which is needed to support home and family. Anything we give should come from a surplus of Gods bounty. Some are blessed with more than is needed to maintain home and hearth and are able to occasionally give a dollar, or buy a sandwich and a drink for someone we see thirsting or in hunger. It may may make us feel good when we do this, but that’s not really what Jesus is saying is it? To only do that which makes us feel good? I have worked around and with the homeless, the mentally ill, and the substance dependent. I don’t like to be scammed. But I don’t see all those on the street with the same face, they are people, individuals, each with their own stories. I believe we are our brothers keepers as far as to what the circumstances are, and the resources that we have will allow. I imagine we all give where and when we perceive a need, and have the means. This will vary among us, and that I believe, IS Gods plan.
God Bless.

Hello blueskies;

Amen to what you shared and I agree with you wholeheartedly, brother.

Thank you for asking who "advocates wasted resources," not so much monetary, silver and gold but the the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy and faithfulness. This phrase refers to the world who opposes Christ.

I have used the phrase "wasting resources" often in ministry, referencing the passage in Matthew 25:41-46;

41 Then He will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels! 42 For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger and you didn’t take Me in; I was naked and you didn’t clothe Me, sick and in prison and you didn’t take care of Me.’ 44 “Then they too will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or without clothes, or sick, or in prison, and not help You?’ 45 “Then He will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me either.’ 46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

God equips us with serving resources because He always knows who will cross our path unexpectedly.

God bless you, blueskies.

Back