What Does Prayer Do?

While we're on the subject, how do you guys feel about the "for thine is the kingdom, power, and glory" addition. I don't quite understand it. Something like it was added in but not in the original texts? I know Catholics seem to omit it while Protestants tend to include it.
I'm not quite sure, hopefully this thread gets attention from someone who can answer it for ya though :)

I've been hearing a lot of people asking others to pray for them lately and I know this sounds bad, but what does prayer do? I never figured it out so I just assumed prayer was meant to help the believer mentally or something because God already knows everything, so it's not like you need to pray for him to hear you. And he has a perfect plan and knows the future, so it's not like your prayer is going to change his plan? Idk, it's just hard for me to genuinely pray for people sometimes because of this. I usually just say something like "Dear God, please help this person if it is your will, Amen". It feels pointless praying half the time though because I know God is going to carry out his will anyways and that everything he does is good...
There are four things to remember iro prayer.

1. We need to pray for the unsaved because God does not hear their prayers John 9:31.
2. We need to pray for our brothers and sisters in sin. Think about how Moses's pleading / prayer to God saved all the Jews in idolatry with the golden calf in Exo 32.
3. As Glo said, pray develops a friendship with God. We talk / pray daily / most of the day to God. That's what you would do with your wife at home, that's what we should do with God all day.
4. Praying in tongues is a deeper prayer. As 'gone' quoted Rom 8:26. Praying in tongues is not something everyone can do / wants to do. But I do believe we all should be doing. We are just really carnal in this respect. Me inclusive. I can't recall the last time I prayed in tongues.

1. We need to pray for the unsaved because God does not hear their prayers John 9:31.

Is this really what The King was saying?

I do not think so as he said that God gives things to all men, because he knows their needs. He even gives to the unjust as well as the just.

You may want to read through John 9 from the start to the finish. You may have not gotten the context.

Is this really what The King was saying?
I do not think so as he said that God gives things to all men, because he knows their needs. He even gives to the unjust as well as the just.
You may want to read through John 9 from the start to the finish. You may have not gotten the context.
I think I got it just fine. 'Giving to all men' does not equal 'He answers their prayers'. They are two separate issues. It rains on everyone. But not everyone gets a jar of honey.

I really am getting tired of people battling with this concept. You are not the first ;). I am going to kill it for the purpose of this thread...

Deuteronomy 1:45 And ye returned and wept before the LORD; but the LORD would not hearken to your voice, nor give ear unto you.
2 Samuel 22:42 They looked, but there was none to save; even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.
Job 35:12-13 There they cry, but none giveth answer, because of the pride of evil men. Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it.
Psalms 18:41 They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.,
Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
Proverbs 1:24-28 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
Proverbs 15:8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
Proverbs 15:29 The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
Proverbs 21:13 Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.
Proverbs 21:27, The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind?
Proverbs 28:9 He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.
Isaiah 1:15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Jeremiah 11:11 Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.
Jeremiah 14:12 When they fast, I will not hear their cry; and when they offer burnt offering and an oblation, I will not accept them: but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence.
Jeremiah 15:1 Then said the LORD unto me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind could not be toward this people: cast them out of my sight, and let them go forth.
Lamentations 3:8 Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.
Lamentations 3:44 Thou hast covered thyself with a cloud, that our prayer should not pass through.
Ezekiel 8:18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.
Ezekiel 20:3 Son of man, speak unto the elders of Israel, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Are ye come to enquire of me? As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I will not be enquired of by you.
Hosea 5:6 They shall go with their flocks and with their herds to seek the LORD; but they shall not find him; he hath withdrawn himself from them.
Micah 3:4 Then shall they cry unto the LORD, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.
Zechariah 7:12-13 Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the LORD of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the LORD of hosts. Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the LORD of hosts:
James 1:6-7 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Last edited:
I think I got it just fine. 'Giving to all men' does not equal 'He answers their prayers'. They are two separate issues. It rains on everyone. But not everyone gets a jar of honey.

I really am getting tired of people battling with this concept. You are not the first ;). I am going to kill it for the purpose of this thread...

Why pluck stuff from things not related to the context of John 9?

The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them.

The King is saying THOSE kinds of people are not heard.

Not ALL sinners, just the ones that KNOW the truth and do not abide by it. Hypocrites.

Context, context, context.

Why pluck stuff from things not related to the context of John 9?
The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them.
The King is saying THOSE kinds of people are not heard.
Not ALL sinners, just the ones that KNOW the truth and do not abide by it. Hypocrites.
Please read, read, read before replying. The other verses given, prove that your attempt to discredit that verse that reads rather easily is wrong. Ignore it if you want, but you can't ignore the other 50 saying exactly the same thing.

Isaiah 59:2 tells us why. When the King says ''But your iniquities have separated you'' ...do you think it only applies to ''The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them / Jews''.

or Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me....only applies to ''The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them / Jews''.

You are ignoring a very simple fact, why? Do you believe God does hear the prayers of sinners? Have you got scripture for that?

Please read, read, read before replying. The other verses given, prove that your attempt to discredit that verse that reads rather easily is wrong. Ignore it if you want, but you can't ignore the other 50 saying exactly the same thing.

Isaiah 59:2 tells us why. When the King says ''But your iniquities have separated you'' ...do you think it only applies to ''The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them / Jews''.

or Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me....only applies to ''The King was talking about the pharisees that willfully ignore God unless it suits them / Jews''.

You are ignoring a very simple fact, why? Do you believe God does hear the prayers of sinners? Have you got scripture for that?

OK let's address your OT refs.

In Isaiah 59, you have to go all the way back to 52 to get what is being said.

It is not again ALL sinners, but Zion, The nation of Israel, who KNOWS better because this is their God and his Commands and they are NOT obeying. Hypocrites.

Again in Psalm 66 it is being spoken of hypocrisy. Look at verse 17. The honor was to God was of habit, not of true faith and devotion. It is lip service. They did it because that was the part they were to play. So they are NOT heard.

This is a warning to all back-sliding hypocrites. Not non-believers.

If God was against all non-believers he would send them NO goodness, NO love, NO healing NO peace, NO protection, NO Rain, they would get nothing because they deserve death.

And WE would not be spared because we deserve it too.

God loves us and did not want us to suffer and die. He doesn't want to not hear his children. But he will NOT hear those that claim to be his children and not do as they have been told.

OK let's address your OT refs.

In Isaiah 59, you have to go all the way back to 52 to get what is being said.

It is not again ALL sinners, but Zion, The nation of Israel, who KNOWS better because this is their God and his Commands and they are NOT obeying. Hypocrites.

Again in Psalm 66 it is being spoken of hypocrisy. Look at verse 17. The honor was to God was of habit, not of true faith and devotion. It is lip service. They did it because that was the part they were to play. So they are NOT heard.

This is a warning to all back-sliding hypocrites. Not non-believers.

If God was against all non-believers he would send them NO goodness, NO love, NO healing NO peace, NO protection, NO Rain, they would get nothing because they deserve death.

And WE would not be spared because we deserve it too.

God loves us and did not want us to suffer and die. He doesn't want to not hear his children. But he will NOT hear those that claim to be his children and not do as they have been told.

With your context argument it sounds like you want us to ignore the OT because it is to the Jews and the NT because it is of the Pharisees. Those verses apply to all sinners. It is not just Jews and Pharisees that get separated from God due to iniquity. Yes, they are more wicked, as they had some truth...but wicked / evil = wicked / evil just ask Adam and Eve. Like I asked, do you have scripture? stating 'God hears the prayers of the wicked'. It is much needed to defend your view.

Yes, God looks after the wicked. Everyone living has hope. But God does not hear their prayer. There is a difference.

With your context argument it sounds like you want us to ignore the OT because it is to the Jews and the NT because it is of the Pharisees. Those verses apply to all sinners. It is not just Jews and Pharisees that get separated from God due to iniquity. Yes, they are more wicked, as they had some truth...but wicked / evil = wicked / evil just ask Adam and Eve. Like I asked, do you have scripture? stating 'God hears the prayers of the wicked'. It is much needed to defend your view.

Yes, God looks after the wicked. Everyone living has hope. But God does not hear their prayer. There is a difference.

I do not want you to ignore the OT just that you have to read what is being said and to whom it is addressing.

Over and over and over in the NT what is The King saying to the people who are supposed to be guiding the people?

Hypocrites. Vipers. All sorts of terrible things. Because they KNOW what to do and refuse to do it.

And what did the King do for the gentiles, sinners and fallen people? He ate with them. Taught them. And guess what?

HE HEARD THEM.

And He is God. Jesus is God. The King is God.

God heard them.

If The King heard them, then why would not God? As He is God.

Please explain how your logic works.

I do not want you to ignore the OT just that you have to read what is being said and to whom it is addressing.
Over and over and over in the NT what is The King saying to the people who are supposed to be guiding the people?
Hypocrites. Vipers. All sorts of terrible things. Because they KNOW what to do and refuse to do it.
And what did the King do for the gentiles, sinners and fallen people? He ate with them. Taught them. And guess what?
HE HEARD THEM.
And He is God. Jesus is God. The King is God.
God heard them.
If The King heard them, then why would not God? As He is God.
Please explain how your logic works.

Ok, so only Pharisees and Jews go to hell. I can live with that.

But you are saying that its only the wicked Jews and Pharisees who are separated from God.

You are really making no sense. Again, have you got scripture?

Jesus came to the Jews...He never preached to any other nation. Your statement ''And what did the King do for the gentiles, sinners and fallen people? He ate with them. Taught them. And guess what?'' hence, makes your point even more moot.

Last edited:
But you are saying that its only the wicked Jews and Pharisees who are separated from God.

You are really making no sense. Again, have you got scripture?

Jesus came to the Jews...He never preached to any other nation. Your statement ''And what did the King do for the gentiles, sinners and fallen people? He ate with them. Taught them. And guess what?'' hence, makes your point even more moot.

So ONLY Jews were in the Holy Land at the time? There were no others. Like the Romans?

And again I used the scripture you presented.

And again we are not addressing separation, we are talking about prayers being heard.

Will you not keep shifting the the goalposts? Prayer, not who goes to Hell or separation.

I gave you 50 scriptures stating that God does not hear prayers of sinners. It did not say, Jews and Pharisees only. Yes, it was about Jews and Pharisees. No it is not, not-applicable to us.

If you cannot give scripture saying that God 'does hear prayers of sinners', I am done discussing with you.

Your ''Jesus spoke to other nations example'' is 100% moot since He spoke to ....Jews....''as well'' / mainly / only visited Jewish cities. Don't you understand that?

So ONLY Jews were in the Holy Land at the time? There were no others. Like the Romans?

And again I used the scripture you presented.

And again we are not addressing separation, we are talking about prayers being heard.

Will you not keep shifting the the goalposts? Prayer, not who goes to Hell or separation.
Our King does hear the 'sinners' prayer. But not any other prayer as they are all rooted in pride and wickedness. That is all there is to this.

Last edited:
I gave you 50 scriptures stating that God does not hear prayers of sinners. It did not say, Jews and Pharisees only. Yes, it was about Jews and Pharisees. No it is not, not-applicable to us.

If you cannot give scripture saying that God 'does hear prayers of sinners', I am done discussing with you.

Your ''Jesus spoke to other nations example'' is 100% moot since He spoke to ....Jews....''as well'' / mainly / only visited Jewish cities. Don't you understand that?

Sand is being shaken from my sandals.

Back