Vegan/Vegetarian

Wondering what others may think about eating vegan/vegetarian for moral reasons and what people think of new laws (or proposed laws) to protect farm animals.

I just wrote on my blog about a new proposed law to protect farm animals in Massachusetts. If you reply, can you let me know if I have permission to put your comments into my blog?) I am happy to list you as anonymous. (My blog site is in my signature.)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

If you eat meat, cool, if you don't, cool. So long as neither party judges the other party, neither is wrong according to the bible.

All the farm animals where I'm at are treated pretty well, my family raises a few beef cows every year and I'm a pretty avid hunter. Personally I see no moral issue with eating meat, as that is the purpose they were created. However I do see the reasons of abstaining from meat for health or moral reasons concerning the mistreatment of mass farmed animals. Either way, I'm not going to force feed or try to convince anybody what they should or shouldn't eat, that's between them and God.

I know people who have been raw, I know vegans, vegetarians, ketoists, etc.

Veganism can be healthy if it's done right. I would like to try the vegan diet someday, but paleo is a better fit for me now. I don't have a problem with the diet unless people talk about how healthy they are and then eat all of the vegan junk food. Just be a healthy vegan and enjoy it! You do what's best for you. I get harassed by all of my friends with YOLO because I am super healthy, but I feel great and it works for me.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Personally, I've been a vegan for 9 years now since I read a book about the horrors of slaughterhouses (Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.) I've read tons and tons after that, and I'm very concerned about the environment too - factory farming is absolutely horrific for the environment. There weren't any such gigantic operations around when Jesus was here, so I feel like we have to make decisions now than people did then. And I'm like James Clark - it works for me! I feel great and I'm an athlete too. Also, I genuinely feel like God created me with a special bond and compassion for animals. Honestly, I'd rather be with animals than people a lot of the time! :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. Personally, I've been a vegan for 9 years now since I read a book about the horrors of slaughterhouses (Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.) I've read tons and tons after that, and I'm very concerned about the environment too - factory farming is absolutely horrific for the environment. There weren't any such gigantic operations around when Jesus was here, so I feel like we have to make decisions now than people did then. And I'm like James Clark - it works for me! I feel great and I'm an athlete too. Also, I genuinely feel like God created me with a special bond and compassion for animals. Honestly, I'd rather be with animals than people a lot of the time! :)
Going by scripture, humans are stewards of this planet. And humans have dominion over animals. It does not mean we can do anything to the planet (or environment) and treat animals in cruel way. It means, we are not to go the extent of making them idols.
I see absolutely no harm in eating meat, as long as they are cooked.
As Christians, it is important to know that this earth is ultimately going to be destroyed. It is wrong to believe man can stop deterioration of the planet. While it is okay to take conscious effort to avoid environmental issues, it is not something that is going to change the final destiny of this planet.

I wish I could go vegetarian, but only feel normal when I eat meat. Like very much better.
Aren't the organic farms doing a good job raising their animals? Free range especially.
I know when Noah got off the ark the Lord told him He gave all animals for food, so I don't see a moral reason there. Sorry it bothers you so much, but people will be eating meat all your life, and I'm sorry it has to be a problem for you to watch.

" when Jesus was here, so I feel like we have to make decisions now than people did then.
Jesus fed the thousands with fish. Jesus even cooked up fish and served it to the disciples (John 21). So I would say using animals as a food source is fine with Jesus, so it is with me. ;) Not to mention animal sacrifices in the OT. And God provided quail for the Israelites in the wilderness.

I like meat, in fact in France we eat a lot of meat. I could not think of my diet without meat. I do eat vegetarian foods and even vegan foods. I like to think that meat I eat is from quality sources that have been treated ethically.

Wondering what others may think about eating vegan/vegetarian for moral reasons and what people think of new laws (or proposed laws) to protect farm animals.

I just wrote on my blog about a new proposed law to protect farm animals in Massachusetts. If you reply, can you let me know if I have permission to put your comments into my blog?) I am happy to list you as anonymous. (My blog site is in my signature.)

On the general principle of eating meat, I think I’d go with Romans 14:1-23

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.​

I’m not sure that Paul considers the type of ethical issue you raise though and I doubt very much that they had our intense farming methods back in his day… Still, I’d think going by your own conscience in terms of what you eat and allowing others to do the same is the best way.

---
For the record, I live with two vegetarians. I will eat meat but I usually opt to share their diet. Convenience plays a big part in this but (maybe outside Christmas, I like a turkey dinner then) can’t say I really miss meat.

I live in a farm community in the rural part of the state. Every day pretty much you can bet you'll see a truck carrying battery cages of chickens to slaughter. Or a trailer full of cows, pigs, etc... Those could be going to slaughter. Or they could just be going to a new home. But with the chickens that's guaranteed they're going to be killed.

And sitting at a red light in the right hand lane with one of those flatbed trucks filled with stack upon stack of those cages idling in the left lane, those little precious chicken faces looking at me, breaks my heart. Because I happen to think chickens are cute.

I'd get a knot in my stomach when I saw them. And feel guilty that one of my favorite meals was Chicken cordon bleu.

I stopped eating meat about a month ago. Now when I see those trucks I do as I did back when I ate meat. I say a little prayer for those precious chickens that will likely be dead by the time my day is through.

I also feel better, and I've lost weight. But mostly, I like that I don't feel guilty knowing my food had a face. And when I walk in grocery stores now past the meat department, and see the pieces of what use to be a whole living lovely animal, that t puts it into perspective what it is that I am looking at. Slaughtered life.

I don't judge others for eating that. I just know that I cannot. All creatures great and small, our Lord God created them all.

God bless.

I live in a farm community in the rural part of the state. Every day pretty much you can bet you'll see a truck carrying battery cages of chickens to slaughter. Or a trailer full of cows, pigs, etc... Those could be going to slaughter. Or they could just be going to a new home. But with the chickens that's guaranteed they're going to be killed.

And sitting at a red light in the right hand lane with one of those flatbed trucks filled with stack upon stack of those cages idling in the left lane, those little precious chicken faces looking at me, breaks my heart. Because I happen to think chickens are cute.

I'd get a knot in my stomach when I saw them. And feel guilty that one of my favorite meals was Chicken cordon bleu.

I stopped eating meat about a month ago. Now when I see those trucks I do as I did back when I ate meat. I say a little prayer for those precious chickens that will likely be dead by the time my day is through.

I also feel better, and I've lost weight. But mostly, I like that I don't feel guilty knowing my food had a face. And when I walk in grocery stores now past the meat department, and see the pieces of what use to be a whole living lovely animal, that t puts it into perspective what it is that I am looking at. Slaughtered life.

I don't judge others for eating that. I just know that I cannot. All creatures great and small, our Lord God created them all.

God bless.

Thank you so much for your post. It really helped me to know I'm not alone in my feelings that I just can't eat something that was once living. Thank you for sharing your story!

Back