Tuesday 6/3/14 Pastor Michael Sermon- Hearing And Listening To The Voice Of God!

Tuesday 6/3/14 Pastor Michael sermon- HEARING AND LISTENING TO THE VOICE OF GOD!

God wants us to experience his best and this is why He is always talking to us, giving instructions. We need a quiet time to hear from God. God is not talking when there is a bunch of noise. Psalm 62:5. Wait on God in the quietness of our soul. God will speak to us when our soul is quiet. Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

Hearing God’s Voice-Are you ready to listen? John 10:27
Hearing God’s voice is something we all long for and God wants you to hear his voice. Hearing the voice of God is as natural as hearing your best friend talk to you. We can hear Him every day and not just on special occasions. If you want to hear God’s voice then you must be ready to listen. John 4:23-24 God is a spirit and speaks to people thru their spirit….Holy Spirit.

Hearing God’s Voice-Why do you want to hear Him?
Why do you want to hear God’s voice? The motives are important. The Bible says this about God’s word in Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to the diving of the soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thought and attitudes of the heart”.
God speaks to people He is in relationship with. Psalm 66:18

Hearing God’s Voice in the Bible.
The Bible itself declared, “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God” John 1:1. In another place we read: “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. II Timothy 3:16. Do you want to hear God’s voice? Then read the Bible. Find a good daily Bible reading plan and stick to it.

Hearing God’s Voice through Prayer.
When you want to have a conversation with someone you do not stand in front of them and hope they will talk to you. We usually begin a conversation by opening our own mouths and talking. We get the other person’s attention by speaking to them. It is the same with God! He loves to hear us talk to Him. Prayer is like saying “Hello God, it me. I believe You created me and that You know way more about how I should live my life than I do. I want to know You better. Here is what is going on in my life and I would like Your thoughts on how to handle it. Would You please speak to me about this today?” Once we prepare our hearts to listen through prayer, we are more likely to hear the voice of God. God speaks to us in many ways:
  • God speaks through His Word
  • God speaks through our thoughts ( God speaks to our spirit, mind, heart)
  • God speaks through conversations with others
  • God speaks through circumstances
Hearing God’s Voice through Jesus.
The Bible also tells us that Jesus is God in the flesh. Therefore, if you want to hear the voice of God, you must study and know the teaching of Jesus. I John 1:1 We must have a personal relationship with Jesus. Have you ever tried to have a conversation of any depth with a person you did not know? It usually does not go very far. Shortly before he was crucified, Jesus promised the disciples that God would send them a comforter, the Holy Ghost, to live in them and be with them. John 14:16-17

Hearing God’s Voice with the Help of the Holy Spirit.
“But He the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26. In the second chapter of Acts, the events of the day of Pentecost are recorded after Jesus went back to Heaven. Verse 3 says they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, as Jesus had promised. The Holy Spirit came to live inside of them and the same Spirit is available to you and me today.

Are you a Christian? If so, you already have the Holy Spirit available to you today. The Holy Spirit will prepare your heart to hear God’s voice. His Spirit, that still small voice inside of you is the One who will remind you of what God said. The Holy Spirit will help you recognize God’s opportunities in your life.

Hearing God’s Voice-Conclusion of the Matter
So we have the Bible, Prayer, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and our own hearts to help in hearing God’s voice. Do you want to hear God’s voice? This is the question. Revelations 3:20 “Here I am. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.”
God will never force you to obey Him but He waits for your willing response to His call. Are you hearing His voice right now? Don’t let your final answer be the wrong one.
AMEN

Back