blueskies

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator

The Tel Dan Inscription​

IMG_4577.jpeg

February 2023,
From various sources.

The project surveyor for the Tel Dan archaeological site in Israel, Gila Cook, discovered ancient writing on one of the reused building stones in an old wall. The surface of the stone was polished on two sides, and the identified letters, BYTDWD, was clear and unmistakable.
IMG_4578.jpeg
The letters or inscription refers to the “The House of David” (the dark arrow pointing to the slightly whitened letters: BYTDWD).

This building stone can firmly be dated back to the 9th century BC due to an ash layer dated 733/722 BC caused by later Assyrian wars.

These ash layers are few and far between and remain every archaeologist’s dream, as anything sealed beneath them has to be dated earlier. As such, there is no chance of intrusion by later finds. While some historians have tried to explain the inscription away, most agree that it refers to the lineage of David, the second king of the unified kingdom and possibly the most important ruler in Israel’s history. The presence of the same letters, BYTDWD, on the Mesha Stele/Moabite Rock, also dated from the 9th century, solidifies the existence and, indeed, the lineage of King David.

The Megiddo Mosaic
From various sources.

IMG_4581.jpeg

An ancient Christian mosaic bearing an early reference to Jesus as God, and of unique archaeological importance, may be removed and loaned to an American museum, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.

The Megiddo Mosaic containing the reference to Jesus as God is believed to be near the site of Armageddon, the city that, according to the Bible, is to play host to the Second Coming of Christ.

Based on other finds from the dig and the style of the letters in the inscriptions, IAA archaeologists have dated the mosaic floor to the third century - before the Roman Empire officially converted to Christianity and when adherents were still persecuted.

IMG_4583.jpeg

The mosaic sits inside what is thought to be the world’s earliest Christian prayer hall, in an ancient Roman village in northern Israel. Israeli archaeologists uncovered it during a salvage excavation as part of a planned expansion of a prison in 2005.

Israeli officials are considering a controversial loan to the Museum of the Bible in Washington. The Israel Antiquities Authority said that it will decide about the proposed removal and move in the coming weeks, following consultations with an advisory body.

Thanks for post this blueskies. I had forgotten about this.

The mosaic inscription referencing Jesus is not shown in above photos.

This photo shows a man with the brush cleaning the inscription.
501184.jpeg

Here is the full text.
Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 4.54.53 PM.png
It reads: "The God-loving Akeptous has offered the table to God Jesus Christ as a memorial."

The phrase in Greek is ⲑ̅ⲱ̅ ⲓ̅ⲩ̅ ⲭ̅ⲱ̅.

These forms are known as nomina sacra. A nomina sacra is an abbreviated form of divine names or titles with a line written over them.

Wow 🤩

I’m a memeber of trip adviser and they’re planning on opening a tourist site there sometime in the future!
Cyprus had these beautiful mosaics of the church and even though I didn’t get to see them I hope to visit one day but this one is special I take it!

That’s great news thanks

Back