The Doctrine of Torah

Acts 15 is so powerful in what it reveals, but how does one become equipped with the warps and twists about that chapter, and other throughout the Bible?

Well, here is a help:

Look at what Paul wrote concerning trying to obeying Torah, as if we can add to our salvation, and thus slapping Christ in the face for allegedly not having done enough for our salvation:

Philippians 3:2-6
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, [of] the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

He then continues by showing that everything he had accomplished in his life was but animal dung:

Philippians 3:7-11
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

If one is not willing to leave behind all his or her accomplishments, thinking that they in any way can add to their salvation, such are actually taking away from what Christ has done, and actually diverting away from His saving power by way of their lack of faith in What He accomplished on that cross:

Philippians 3:12-16
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but [this] one thing [I do], forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

If all things are not subdued in one's life to the Person and Work of Christ, such a one is absent from the faith one must have. The thief on the cross did no works to obey the Law of Moses, and He was in paradise that say with Jesus.

[Philippians 3:17-21
17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, [that they are] the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 Whose end [is] destruction, whose God [is their] belly, and [whose] glory [is] in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

MM

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

The Greek word hypo, pronounced hoop-o', the definition of which, based upon its grammatical usage and contextual seating, has this meaning:

"e. subject to the power of, any person or thing: Romans 3:9; Romans 6:14, 15; 1 Corinthians 9:20; Galatians 3:10, 25; Galatians 4:2, 21; Galatians 5:18; 1 Timothy 6:1;" [Thayer's Greek Lexicon]

There are those who believe we today should strive to obey/observe Torah mandates for the Sabbath, dietary restrictions, holy days, et al.

So, let's look at an example: When one is within the borders of any nation, then one is subject to the power of the laws of that nation. When that one steps outside the borders of that nation, they are no longer subject to the power of the laws of that nation. New Zealand cannot come after me over here for having done something here that is a breach of their laws over there.

So, when we read the verse quoted above, please observe where it states an emphatic declaration that we are not subject to the power of the Law of Moses, because we are not dominated by sin any more, given that we are new creations...born again...having died with Christ, buried with Christ, and raised up with Christ. A systematic study of each topical item in this post, observed throughout the Bible, will reveal the truths in what I am saying here. Keep in mind that it's not a matter of my being right, but that the scriptures are right.

I could expound upon this almost ad infinitum, but will keep it shorter, with more posts to follow as time allows for me, building each block of truth upon another so that you have a more systematic vantagepoint over this topic, and therefore realize the freedom we have in Christ Jesus.

Remember, the Law of Christ is this:

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Fulfill in this verse, according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon, means "to fulfil i. e. observe the law perfectly, Galatians 6:2"

Romans 10:4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

The Greek word translated "end" in this verse, according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon, means "Christ has brought the law to all end (πᾶσιν Χριστός ἀνθρώποις τέλος τοῦ βίου θάνατος. Demosthenes, 1306, 25), Romans 10:4"

Folks, it can't be more clearer than that, but I will continue to provide proof after proof for those who have been influenced by various movements out there that are pressing for Christians to be bound to obedience to the dictates and ordinances of the Law of Moses.

MM

Everything belongs to God. Everything we have is a gift from God. There is only one thing we have, that we got without God ,and that is our sin, and we need His gift of salvation to be free from it.

Everything belongs to God. Everything we have is a gift from God. There is only one thing we have, that we got without God ,and that is our sin, and we need His gift of salvation to be free from it.

Dave, would you elaborate how that relates to the Torah topic? I like where you're going with this, but need some help in relating it to Torah.

MM

The Torah is the law given by God, salvation is also given by God. Everything belongs to God as it comes from His creation. The Torah only shows us we are sinners, it is the Blood of Christ that gives us salvation and frees us from our sin.

The Torah is the law given by God, salvation is also given by God. Everything belongs to God as it comes from His creation. The Torah only shows us we are sinners, it is the Blood of Christ that gives us salvation and frees us from our sin.

Good point.

The problem with the belief that we today are bound by requirement to live by Torah creates for Torah-ism a serious problem. Those who have placed themselves under the Law of Moses believe that not being under Torah is a matter of disobedience, and scripture clearly teaches that disobedience brings upon one the wrath of God, which then leads to being rejected by God at the Judgement. This means that not being under Torah mandates and observances, it IS a matter of salvation, even though these same people will say that salvation comes only through Christ Jesus.

When pressed by that point, they fall back upon the idea that although salvation comes only through Christ Jesus, He also requires obedience to Torah. This clearly is a foundational doctrine that defines salvation as Christ + works, which is a slap in the face of the sufficiency of the Blood of Christ. That is not the Gospel of Christ Jesus.

I've already covered above the biblical definition for the Law of Christ, which is to bear one another's burdens. Torah-ism is indeed a contradictory doctrine in relation to scripture itself.

Thanks, Dave, for the feedback.

MM

FAITH Brings Righteousness, Not Torah:

Galatians 3:1-14
1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if [it be] yet in vain.
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed.
9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Abraham did not observe Sabbath keeping. Abraham did not follow the dietary laws in the Law of Moses. Abraham lived a set of laws that we're not told their content. Read Genesis 26.

The INTENT of the Law of Moses

Galatians 3:15-29
15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
18 For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise.
19 Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not [a mediator] of one, but God is one.
21 [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

One cannot, in the realm of intellectual honesty, think from this that the Law of Moses is still a system of code we are bound by commandment to follow. The Law brought salvation to nobody, and it brought righteousness to nobody. There's nothing left, except the man-made, subjective ideas that obedience to ordinances will somehow save one from disobedience. This avenue is clearly a dead end, because the Law never brought even righteousness to any man, how, then, can it be made into a matter of obedience when such is impossible?

The Lord promised Israel and the Church that He would write His Law upon the flesh of our hearts. It is not written on tablets, on parchment, nor in digital form in some computer. It is miraculously written in our hearts.

How awesome is that?

MM

Here's a map of some of the membership in 119 Ministries, which is a huge promoter of people placing themselves back under the curse of the Law. The blue flags are regular people like you and me, and the red ones are organizational.

USMap.GIF

Last edited:
The map above gives some perspective as to how prolific some of the end-times turning away is. Who would ever have thought that a part of the turning away would be the teaching of required circumcision and all the other elements within the Law of Moses.

They even assume that Abraham also followed the Law of Moses, even though Moses penned what was given to him centuries later.

I will reiterate again, to make sure it sinks into your awareness, that teaching the requirement for the Law of Moses for today is a teaching that promotes:

Salvation=Yahshua+Law of Moses.

In other words, the Law of Moses, in that belief system, IS a matter of salvation for us today. The sufficiency of the shed blood of Yahshua is greatly diminished, and even nullified, for those who do not attempt to live under the Law of Moses.

MM

There are those out there who believe that the Law of Moses is the law that Abraham obeyed. This is utterly impossible, and I can elaborate on that further for those who are interested...if it's necessary. I assume most of you already know this, so...

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Yes. Jesus clearly made changes to the Law of Moses, which gives ample and clear indication that the Law of Moses was and is no longer binding upon us today.

There are those who take that statement, and assume it's meaning falls in line with their accusation that we therefore believe that murder, rape, etc., are all allowable, which is nothing but an application of utter absurdity, and intellectually dishonest from the start. The Foundation of the Law of God has always been THE grounding of moral absolutes upon which is built the law, commandments and statutes Abraham obeyed, the moral absolutes within the Law of Moses, and the moral absolutes Jesus uttered that are not contained in the Law of Moses.

The Law of Moses was aimed at a specific people, a specific nation who said to the Lord that they would obey all His Law, and yet they did not, and are still failing miserably at it today.

The Law of Christ:

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

These are passages that show the Law of God was reflected in the Law of Moses:

Joshua 24:26 And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God, and took a great stone, and set it up there under an oak, that [was] by the sanctuary of the LORD.

Nehemiah 8:8, 18
8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused [them] to understand the reading. ...
18 Also day by day, from the first day unto the last day, he read in the book of the law of God. And they kept the feast seven days; and on the eighth day [was] a solemn assembly, according unto the manner.

Nehemiah 10:28 And the rest of the people, the priests, the Levites, the porters, the singers, the Nethinims, and all they that had separated themselves from the people of the lands unto the law of God, their wives, their sons, and their daughters, every one having knowledge, and having understanding;

Here too we see the Law of God referenced:

Romans 7:22, 25
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: ...
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

One would think that if the author had thought the Law of Moses had been the source object for what was written in his heart by the Lord, which was originally derived from the Law of God, then the writer would have been convicted of not following the Law of Moses requirement for burnt sacrifices, its dietary laws, cultural and ceremonial laws, et al.

One of my loser friends here locally is now seeing the Book of Enoch as being a legitimate source. He's slowly stepping off into the arena of Torah-ism as a requirement for continued salvation, which is a turning away from the power truth of salvation by grace through faith.

Sad times indeed.

MM

Back