The Doctrine of Prayer and Atonement

What is prayer?

If we go only by what we mostly hear from others, it's us yammering endlessly to the Lord, and never taught to sit quietly and just listen...pouring out our hearts, and then waiting upon the Spirit to speak in unspeakable, unspoken words to us. That is not what I have ever heard in lessons about prayer. Charismatic preachers love talking about how the Lord told THEM something to convey to the people who follow them.

Well, I gonna go out on a limb here...for those of you who believe that prayer is strictly a one-way communication model...

This morning, something came to me that I wasn't even musing over. It never entered my thoughts at all in that moment, or any other that I can recall.

Without provocation, this came to me:

The JW's teach that Jesus was originally Michael the archangel, based mostly upon the verses that portray His voice being as the archangel.

That clearly is impossible!

How?

Simply this:

Yahshua is eternal, not just everlasting, like us, and He is omniscient and omnipresent...something no angel can ever be.

So, how does that tie in with atonement? This realization is what shocked me (since I dare not say the Lord spoke to me because of the weaker brother):

Yahshua, who is everywhere, both in time and space. In other words, He alone can take our sins upon Himself, no matter when or where we commit them because He is omnipresent...both in space and time. When I sinned in moments past, He was there to serve as our advocate before the Father to say to the Father, "That's on me. I paid for that."

No mere angel can possibly do such. No other being can accomplish that...only Deity.

"Before Abraham was, I AM!" That is a total removal of time as a constraint upon Him. He can and does step into this realm at any point in time and space of His choosing, and yet He is everywhere and everywhen.

Only on that basis can our sin be truly removed from us at the moment and place where we commit them.

If it were a mere angel, our sins would remain on us until that angel got around to us.

That is not an assault or a down-playing of the cross and the sufficiency of the Blood. No. It's an enhancement of His very nature in our understanding.

If this strikes a chord in some, then praise the Lord. If not...oh well...

Blessings to you all, and love you all.

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

I know one religion that comes to mind that believes that whether praying in the morning, afternoon, evening or bedtime, follows a set of memorized sayings to God. Problem is, (and I've done this before) we can go through the motions of memorized prayers to God without thinking.

I'll share my prayer time experience. When I pray is an important time to listen to the Father I agree with you, MM. Prayer is a two way communing. Prayers should not be a cookie cutter (same approach is applied) There may be times when I just need to be silent and listen to Him.

Can we agree that our Father loves us and has so much to say to each one of us? I'm relieved to know that about God.

I don't feel there is a one method for all on how to pray or how many minutes or hours we are to pray. That is a personal method and time between God and ourselves. But it's important to know that we are talking to the Most High so offering up reverence - praise, glory and adoration to Him is about Him.

My personal confession/repentance to God is an act of obedience to Him. My prayers for others and for my wife and me usually come at the end with thanksgiving.

Each day my words are different but mindful that it comes from my heart and lips.

I can say more but I wanted to share just a brief testimony of how my wife and I pray.

God bless you, MM, and thank you for sharing The Doctrine of Prayer and Atonement.

Back