The Doctrine Against Pride

Scriptures speaks for itself, even against the perverse who had a whole month dedicated to them for pride...

Mark 7:21-22

21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 11:2 [When] pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly [is] wisdom.

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised [is] wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of the foolish [is] a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride [goeth] before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Daniel 4:37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works [are] truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

[Obadiah 1:3 The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation [is] high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?

Zephaniah 2:10 This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified [themselves] against the people of the LORD of hosts.

MM

The rod of pride is an interesting phrase.
Why a rod?

A 'rod' in the mouth of a proud speaker is like a rod being applied against the backs of others; to beat others. So, when the proud speak pridefully, their words are like a rod of violence against others.

Psalms 73:6 Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them [as] a garment.

When the perverse rise up in pride for their sinful and wicked lifestyles, their prideful words and haughty looks are like a rod meant to beat others, be it ever so wrong and sinful. When they boast about their sin, pridefully claiming their sin is good and wholesome, that is like beating all others, those who know better, with the rod of pride, as a way of punishing others who do not deserve such.

So, the haughty and prideful man and woman who touts their perverseness as being worthy of praise, that is a form of prideful assault against others who know better.

Does that help?

MM

Scriptures speaks for itself, even against the perverse who had a whole month dedicated to them for pride...

Mark 7:21-22

21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 11:2 [When] pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly [is] wisdom.

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised [is] wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of the foolish [is] a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride [goeth] before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Daniel 4:37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works [are] truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

[Obadiah 1:3 The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation [is] high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?

Zephaniah 2:10 This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified [themselves] against the people of the LORD of hosts.

MM
Hubris is the very first act of sin in God's creation, and it was done by the devil.

oh I must have skipped or not seen that

the verse I remember is the one about God resisting the proud, but giving grace to the humble.

I've tried to stop my city having 'pride' as one of their values lol. On one of the feedback forms I just asked why would you want pride as one your values, wouldn't it be much better to have kindness or humility?

They then dropped promoting pride. Well I haven't heard any more about it. You know what happens to proud people don't you? lol

Back