The Bible And Me

Well, the conservatives here would probably disagree.

I can't speak for anyone here. I can only speak on my behalf.

It most definitely had a religious context. The Passion was all over the news, and a big part of that stemmed from Jewish groups claiming that the movie was anti-Semitic and pointing out that "Passion Plays" were historically staged to enrage the populace against Jews. And in the midst of all that, Mel Gibson goes on a bigoted anti-Semitic rant after being pulled over.

Oy vey. RiverJordan, that was not what was highlighted in the news story I am referencing. In other words, his anti-Semitic remarks nor anything related to the Passion were relevant to the story. The story was regarding his verbal abuses to his ex-wife. Were they drunken? Yes. Were they sexist? Yes. Was any of it related to Catholicism? No.

But for argument's sake, let's say I do grant you that the story did have something to do with religion, and even blatantly so...would it permit that they can claim his behavior corresponds with Catholic teaching? Wouldn't you agree with me that it is always wrong for people to accuse Muslims of being murderous, vile, racist, hateful people because of the wrong activity of some extremists? How bigoted is it when people clump all Muslims into that category? My father group of dealing with a lot of anti-Semitism being flung at him, and some of it was caused by immoral activities of some of the other Jews in the neighborhood. Did he deserve it? Well, it's just as bigoted when people do this to Christians. I get just as tired of hearing the bigotry from people as I am tired of not listening to more Christians defending themselves and their faith.

But rather than talk about hypotheticals, do you have a specific case of the media being "demeaning" to Christians?

Yes, it happens every day. How often do we hear about the persecutions and murders of Christians taking place in the Middle East, or in China, or in Central Africa? Sometimes it comes from government regimes and sometimes it comes from warlords and guerrilla groups. Regardless of where it is coming from, turning a blind eye to these cases is disgusting. Should the media be reporting persecutions of other groups and religions? YES! Should the media single out other groups? NO!

Worst of all, most Christians seem to turn a blind eye to it too. In fact, many are so heavily indoctrinated by the rhetoric that they even seem to say things like "Well, Christians can say such hateful things, so you can't really blame people for having a bigotry toward Christians." Why not? The behavior of hypocrites is not reason to 1) throw out Christian doctrine altogether, 2) ignore the accomplishments and good will of the countless Christian charitable organizations, and 3) throw out moral thought at all. People hate Christians because they think they are all bigots, so in the process of fighting this bigotry, they themselves will respond in a bigoted fashion??? It's a massive double standard.

I am responsible for pursuing God's commandments and message. I'm responsible for showing His love to others and helping them, whether they deserve it or not...but what I am not responsible for is the terrible behaviors of a few bad apples.

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone here. I can only speak on my behalf.
It looks as if on that front, you and I agree.

Oy vey. RiverJordan, that was not what was highlighted in the news story I am referencing. In other words, his anti-Semitic remarks nor anything related to the Passion were relevant to the story. The story was regarding his verbal abuses to his ex-wife. Were they drunken? Yes. Were they sexist? Yes. Was any of it related to Catholicism? No.
Well how the heck was I supposed to know that? o_O ;)

This is all you told me, "I remember when CNN highlighted one of Mel Gibson's misbehaviors and ended it with "Who knew Catholicism could be so fascinating."" Was I supposed to use my psychic powers to figure out that you were talking about that and not his Antisemitism? :confused:

I'm sorry, but my powers must be a little low lately, cuz I didn't pick it up.

But for argument's sake, let's say I do grant you that the story did have something to do with religion, and even blatantly so...would it permit that they can claim his behavior corresponds with Catholic teaching?
Here's the problem...I can't comment on a story I haven't read and that as it stands is merely something you remember.

Wouldn't you agree with me that it is always wrong for people to accuse Muslims of being murderous, vile, racist, hateful people because of the wrong activity of some extremists? How bigoted is it when people clump all Muslims into that category? My father group of dealing with a lot of anti-Semitism being flung at him, and some of it was caused by immoral activities of some of the other Jews in the neighborhood. Did he deserve it? Well, it's just as bigoted when people do this to Christians. I get just as tired of hearing the bigotry from people as I am tired of not listening to more Christians defending themselves and their faith.
Again, some specifics would help.

Yes, it happens every day. How often do we hear about the persecutions and murders of Christians taking place in the Middle East, or in China, or in Central Africa? Sometimes it comes from government regimes and sometimes it comes from warlords and guerrilla groups. Regardless of where it is coming from, turning a blind eye to these cases is disgusting. Should the media be reporting persecutions of other groups and religions? YES! Should the media single out other groups? NO!
Sorry, those aren't specifics. When I asked for specific examples, I meant actual specific examples of the media being "demeaning" to Christians, not blanket "it happens every day" statements.

I am responsible for pursuing God's commandments and message. I'm responsible for showing His love to others and helping them, whether they deserve it or not...but what I am not responsible for is the terrible behaviors of a few bad apples.
I agree. (y)

Well how the heck was I supposed to know that? o_O;)

This is all you told me, "I remember when CNN highlighted one of Mel Gibson's misbehaviors and ended it with "Who knew Catholicism could be so fascinating."" Was I supposed to use my psychic powers to figure out that you were talking about that and not his Antisemitism? :confused:

Well to be fair, the context was about the media making bigoted remarks. It was out of context. You could have also asked. But I'll take the blame for this and say I could have been more clear. Apologies for that one. :p

Here's the problem...I can't comment on a story I haven't read and that as it stands is merely something you remember.

Fair enough, but that also means you can't defend a side either. That's what you were doing.

Again, some specifics would help.

Which part? I'll do my best to provide specifics.

Sorry, those aren't specifics. When I asked for specific examples, I meant actual specific examples of the media being "demeaning" to Christians, not blanket "it happens every day" statements.

OK. While it i true that it happens everyday, I'll try to provide examples. 1) the one I already provided where they made the "Catholicism is fascinating" remark. 2) The murdering of Fr. Murad in Syria very recently was ignored. Most people don't know about this until someone mentions it and they have to look it up online. 3) Priests are almost always regarded as pedophiles and covering up the sex abuse scandals almost regularly when they are addressed in the media. I remember when Rosie O'Donnell made a statement in saying how the then pope (Benedict XVI) was trying to cover up the pedophilia and called him the "Pervert Pope." Catholics were furious at her for that as Benedict (as Cardinal Ratzinger) was the number one clergyman trying to uncover these cases and address them and bring justice to the victims and their families. She also said "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament" and then saying "How many Supreme Court judges are Catholic?" 4) In (I think) 2011 when Rachel Maddow compared Christianity to the Third Reich merely because politicians she disagrees with are NeoConservatives. Granted, sometimes Maddow is quite right about what she says about certain people, but it doesn't justify making a claim that Christianity itself is like a Nazi regime.

These were the only ones that come to mind and in regards to the media. The entertainment industry is venomously anti-Christian (especially toward Catholics, from Nicki Minaj's "Catholic" performance at the Grammys to Lady Gaga's Alejandro video.

All I'm saying is people are bigoted toward Christianity and people should stand up for what they believe in. Fighting bigotry with bigotry does no good and is counter-productive.

Jane, you've pretty much wasted your time and everyone else's here.
You have made the prejudiced assumption that Christians are a monolithic block of people who
all think the same due to all being "christian".
If you actually been paying attention you would have noticed that that there is little agreement on some subjects.

Christians are different in some views. They are similar or identical into other. German Christians are for example differently than American Christians. German Christians are more quiet and more objective. They do not understand themself, as their U.S. co-religionists as " warrior of God ". Churches do not have as much power as in the USA in Germany/Europe. And the US Christian Churches uses, better abused this power very often (see Proposition 8 in California).
I do not have any prejudices against Christians or any groups (not once against the Nazis). I only see how they act. In many cases, Christian churches rather are like Pharisees as Christians.

Even Glomung and I who belong to the same church may have disagreements on certain matters. Your questions are welcome, but the assumptions are meaningless -- no offense.

To be able to lead an honest discussion, the following things must happen:
One must be allowed to tell his opinion frankly. Including the conclusions which one had. And the other side must explained must want to do it. This goes in the two directions. Where this is missing or is limited, a discussion is no longer possible.
I understand that you want to adhere to your faith. But one should check the faith of his own now and then, too. It can't damage but can be very useful.

To be able to lead an honest discussion, the following things must happen:
One must be allowed to tell his opinion frankly. Including the conclusions which one had. And the other side must explained must want to do it. This goes in the two directions. Where this is missing or is limited, a discussion is no longer possible.
I understand that you want to adhere to your faith. But one should check the faith of his own now and then, too. It can't damage but can be very useful.
I'm not trying to shut you up or close the discussion. My only statement was that you're making faulty assumptions. You are welcome to explain how they aren't faulty, and I will gladly listen.

Your are then either deceitful or not thinking properly. You say the bible is wrong because of X and Y, then say that's your opinion? You choose to finalise your opinion off a half truth?

I am neither deceitful nor stupid. I have at home many scientific books about archeology and history, also about history of religion and Bible science. And, if the theological dictionary of the NT (published by Kittel); which one is used by clergymen as A STANDARD REFERENCE; something says; it has a greater meaningfulness than a private opinion of a normal person.
My knowledge about the Bible dates essentially from three sources:
I have read the Bible repeatedly
I have many theological dictionaries at home.
I have contact to an American clergyman who in the past had written speeches for Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.
My opinion on the Bible arose from these three sources. Rev. W. may don't like it(the American clergyman) but it is that way..

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can speak up anywhere including privately owned environment as there is also a right to property.

If I insult nobody here for a long time or attack the faith of a man, I have nobody laws violates. A Jewish proverb means:
Two Jews, three opinions
We can and may have other opinions. We may be religious, doubting or unbelieving. It is our right which may circumcise nobody. Rosa Luxemburg, the great communist leader of the working classes, said once:
The liberty of the other one always is liberty.
All of us should think of it!

I'm not trying to shut you up or close the discussion. My only statement was that you're making faulty assumptions. You are welcome to explain how they aren't faulty, and I will gladly listen.

Why?

Please explain it to me, the stupid and naïve German. BTW. Ask the NSA about me, before you answer me.:whistle:

save your breath Lysander ..
And the US Christian Churches uses, better abused this power very often (see Proposition 8 in California).
as you see, an abuse of power is using your constitutional right to vote for what you want .. according to our constitution, liberties can be added or deleted as the majority of society sees fit .. I will always cast my vote depending on my religious belief and is my Constitutional right to do so ..

but politics are dirty, so I do my speaking with my ballot and don't discuss them ..

save your breath Lysander ..

as you see, an abuse of power is using your constitutional right to vote for what you want .. according to our constitution, liberties can be added or deleted as the majority of society sees fit .. I will always cast my vote depending on my religious belief and is my Constitutional right to do so ..

but politics are dirty, so I do my speaking with my ballot and don't discuss them ..

If the supreme Court of the wonderful state of California recognizes California something as unconstitutional, nobody can go to take constitutional rights away from people. If a court appreciates that homosexuals may get married and a ban is unconstitutional; all citizens must appreciate this. No matter whether they like it.
What the RCC, the LDS and others have tried was diskrimination to be confirmed by homosexuals in the law. And even, if I watch the weaving commercials of NOM, they worked with fears and half-truths, in a case with a proved lie. To this this some interesting clip:

If the supreme Court of the wonderful state of California recognizes California something as unconstitutional, nobody can go to take constitutional rights away from people.

except for one thing .. the Supreme Court of California didn't ..
it was a Federal Judge ..
the thing about propositions is they are the ONLY form of Democracy in this country ..
and bingo .. some elite partisan judge takes that away ..

just another of your faulty assumptions ..

Aug 14, 2013 - SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Supreme Court refused Wednesday to revive Proposition 8, ending the last remaining legal challenge to ...

nonetheless .. the government has the legal right to marry whom they want, but that is not the same as being married in a church in God's eyes (who says it is sin) ..
and the government can make no law restricting religion .. thus cannot force a church to either ..

If I insult nobody here for a long time or attack the faith of a man, I have nobody laws violates. A Jewish proverb means:
Two Jews, three opinions
We can and may have other opinions. We may be religious, doubting or unbelieving. It is our right which may circumcise nobody. Rosa Luxemburg, the great communist leader of the working classes, said once:
The liberty of the other one always is liberty.
All of us should think of it!
You haven't insulted anyone here directly from what I've seen. It looks like nothing more than a disagreement of theology.

Well to be fair, the context was about the media making bigoted remarks. It was out of context. You could have also asked. But I'll take the blame for this and say I could have been more clear. Apologies for that one. :p
Okey doke.

Fair enough, but that also means you can't defend a side either. That's what you were doing.
Well yeah, because when someone says "that time when Mel Gibson screwed up and the media was all over it", most people automatically think of his Antisemitic rant. I even mentioned it a couple of times and you didn't say anything until a few posts later.

Which part? I'll do my best to provide specifics.
The part about "the media is demeaning to Christianity".

1) the one I already provided where they made the "Catholicism is fascinating" remark.
That's not helpful and isn't something I can comment on because it's just something you remember from years ago.

2) The murdering of Fr. Murad in Syria very recently was ignored. Most people don't know about this until someone mentions it and they have to look it up online.
I don't understand how that's "the media being demeaning to Christianity".

3) Priests are almost always regarded as pedophiles and covering up the sex abuse scandals almost regularly when they are addressed in the media.
That's yet another vague generality and not anything specific.

I remember when Rosie O'Donnell made a statement in saying how the then pope (Benedict XVI) was trying to cover up the pedophilia and called him the "Pervert Pope." Catholics were furious at her for that as Benedict (as Cardinal Ratzinger) was the number one clergyman trying to uncover these cases and address them and bring justice to the victims and their families. She also said "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament" and then saying "How many Supreme Court judges are Catholic?"
First, Rosie O'Donnell is not a member of the media. She's an entertainer/celebrity. Those last two quotes aren't "demeaning" to me. One's a political statement and the other is a relevant political question in the context of the abortion issue.

As to her comments on the previous Pope, I can tell that you're pretty loyal to the Church. Let's just say from where I sit and what I've read on the subject, the Catholic Church leadership isn't exactly in a position to complain when it receives criticism or even nasty comments on its handling of the sex abuse situation. After all, we're talking about what seems to have been rampant sexual abuse of children here. In that context, the most powerful religious institution in the world doesn't get to complain when its feelings are hurt.

4) In (I think) 2011 when Rachel Maddow compared Christianity to the Third Reich merely because politicians she disagrees with are NeoConservatives. Granted, sometimes Maddow is quite right about what she says about certain people, but it doesn't justify making a claim that Christianity itself is like a Nazi regime.
Can you provide a link or transcript please?

These were the only ones that come to mind and in regards to the media.
Well, the only one that might be an example of the media being demeaning to Christianity is your last one. For something that you claims happens "every day", one would think your list would have been more substantial.

The entertainment industry is venomously anti-Christian (especially toward Catholics, from Nicki Minaj's "Catholic" performance at the Grammys to Lady Gaga's Alejandro video.
Given the history between popular music and Christian organizations in the US, I'd say that's a two-way street.

All I'm saying is people are bigoted toward Christianity and people should stand up for what they believe in. Fighting bigotry with bigotry does no good and is counter-productive.
You seem to be equating "criticism of the Catholic Church" with "bigotry towards Christianity". Those aren't the same things.

Well yeah, because when someone says "that time when Mel Gibson screwed up and the media was all over it", most people automatically think of his Antisemitic rant. I even mentioned it a couple of times and you didn't say anything until a few posts later.

I said it was irrelevant to religion. I wasn't kidding. I'll take the responsibility for not being clear enough.

That's not helpful and isn't something I can comment on because it's just something you remember from years ago.

First, Rosie O'Donnell is not a member of the media. She's an entertainer/celebrity. Those last two quotes aren't "demeaning" to me. One's a political statement and the other is a relevant political question in the context of the abortion issue.

As to her comments on the previous Pope, I can tell that you're pretty loyal to the Church. Let's just say from where I sit and what I've read on the subject, the Catholic Church leadership isn't exactly in a position to complain when it receives criticism or even nasty comments on its handling of the sex abuse situation. After all, we're talking about what seems to have been rampant sexual abuse of children here. In that context, the most powerful religious institution in the world doesn't get to complain when its feelings are hurt.

I don't know what I can do for you. You are welcome to take my examples with a grain of salt, but the examples are nonetheless true.

Media doesn't exclusively mean news sources -- it means a sort of mass form of communication. Books, internet, TV, movies, etc. etc. We're now wondering into more red herrings. If I do grant you that the View is not media, then I'll further just add that entities outside of media also holds this bias.

They aren't demeaning to you because you agree with the bias. To conclude these are exclusively political rants separate from religion is insanity. The "sacrament" remark along with the other remark intended to single out Catholics as the protagonists was pretty harsh.

Specifically talking about Catholicism, the sex abuse cases -- which obviously were disgusting -- is one of the most frustrating things to sincere Catholics, bar-none. I would say when Catholics respond to the sex abuses with "Why are you only picking on us" or "Well, it goes on everywhere," I'd say that's pretty crass and vulgar. However, to claim the numbers were higher than they were of abusers and people who tried to cover it up is either a lie or just poorly assumed. The standard and average response to sex abuse cases, whether it was in the Church, in other religious groups, in the NY/CA/FL/etc. board of education, the Boy Scouts, was that the abusers were to be moved, receive counseling, and to promise never to do it again. This was the advice given to everyone by secular psychiatrists to everyone -- boards of educations, sports leagues, etc. Today, we all know it was bad advice, but everyone seems to criticize the Church gets this advice while letting, for instance, the NY Board of Ed off the hook.

Rather than expressing that every place that commits these atrocities is wrong for it, people are instead happy to play favorites. Even one sex abuse case is one too many, but to claim it was "rampant" (meaning more than all the other groups) is a fallacy. New York University's center for Law and Justice and others don't have invested interest in the Church, but have also acknowledged this to be a fallacy. I wouldn't trust invested interest either, but the figures outside of those interests aren't lying.

The Church was the first to come forward and say "This is bad advice. This needs to be addressed because it is putting more people in danger of becoming victims." In the 1980s, Cardinal Ratzinger (who later became Pope Benedict) was one of the most active to address this problem--not just within the Church, but even outside of the Church. It was ultimately what lead to his nomination as pope.

People tend to say things like "Oh, the Catholic Church can't cry when its feelings are hurt because look at all of the stuff it has done!" This is the beginning of where the problem lies. It makes an assumption based on nothing, and then if someone comes forward to defend it, the response is "Oh, stop whining -- you're the big kid on the block." It goes full circle and anyone who wants to defend good priests for their effort to help people in hunger, poverty, illness, etc., are often criticized with "Yeah, but how many boys have they raped?" Everyone knows that this is how people talk about Catholics, including other Catholics.
In my experiences as a Protestant Christian and a Catholic Christian have been different. I have been made fun of, attacked, harassed, and kicked down far more as a Catholic than I ever was as a Protestant. It came from Atheists, Agnostics, Jews, Protestants, Muslims, and sadly, even other Catholics who have become so indoctrinated with the anti-Catholic rhetoric that they have begun to believe it themselves.

I would never in a million years attempt to defending something that was wrong. But people shouldn't expect me to keep quiet and pretend something is true when it's not and is meant to attack where I lay my faith.

Can you provide a link or transcript please?

I'll see if I can find it for you.

Well, the only one that might be an example of the media being demeaning to Christianity is your last one. For something that you claims happens "every day", one would think your list would have been more substantial.

I'm sorry if you don't think reporting on persecutions and killings of a every group except for one isn't demeaning in its own right, but it is. It's neglect with intentions.

Given the history between popular music and Christian organizations in the US, I'd say that's a two-way street.

You're still missing the big picture. When Christian organizations protest other groups or industries in a way that is intended to insult and degrade, then I don't support them. People respond to this with negativity--and I'm with them when they do. However, no one bats an eye when other groups insult and degrade Christian groups. Isn't it just as wrong no matter who does it? The argument isn't "Who does it and who doesn't do it" nor is it "Who did it first." The argument is "Why is there only outrage on one side and not both?"

You seem to be equating "criticism of the Catholic Church" with "bigotry towards Christianity". Those aren't the same things.

I'm not responding to criticism of the Catholic Church -- I think people are fair to bring their criticisms and questions of the Church, what they practice, and so forth. What I am responding to is bigotry. And if it is mostly being directed toward the Catholic perspective of it, then I'm still being consistent as Catholicism is Christianity.

It appears we just won't see eye to eye on this one.

I don't know what I can do for you. You are welcome to take my examples with a grain of salt, but the examples are nonetheless true.
I didn't say they weren't true, I said they weren't examples of "the media being demeaning towards Christianity".

Media doesn't exclusively mean news sources -- it means a sort of mass form of communication. Books, internet, TV, movies, etc. etc.
If we're going that route, then everyone (including Christianity and the RCC) is demeaning to everyone and everything all the time. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that acting like Christianity and the RCC are somehow different in this regard simply isn't realistic.

They aren't demeaning to you because you agree with the bias.
I do?

To conclude these are exclusively political rants separate from religion is insanity. The "sacrament" remark along with the other remark intended to single out Catholics as the protagonists was pretty harsh.
But to someone like her, she sees the RCC as injecting its religion into her life, both in terms of her sexuality and medical decisions. So if she were here, I'm sure she'd be like, "If the RCC doesn't want to be on the receiving end of my criticisms, then it should stay out of my life."

I'm not saying I agree with her, I'm just saying that when an organization like the RCC is so politically active and influences politics in such a way that it affects everyone, including non-Catholics, some blow back has to be expected. And when it comes to issues of a very personal nature, you probably should expect that blow back to be fairly nasty at times. People generally don't like a religious group they don't belong to dictating what they can or can't do.

Specifically talking about Catholicism, the sex abuse cases...
I can see that this is a pretty sensitive area for you, so let's just agree that the cases were horrific and hopefully the necessary steps are being taken to keep such things from happening again.

I'm sorry if you don't think reporting on persecutions and killings of a every group except for one isn't demeaning in its own right, but it is. It's neglect with intentions.
????? Are you saying the media never, ever reports on Christians being killed?

However, no one bats an eye when other groups insult and degrade Christian groups.
I'd say that's not true. Whenever I go to Christian groups, either online or in person, I almost always read/hear about that sort of thing. So at the very least, the Christians in those groups "bat an eye".

Isn't it just as wrong no matter who does it? The argument isn't "Who does it and who doesn't do it" nor is it "Who did it first." The argument is "Why is there only outrage on one side and not both?"
Yes, I agree it is wrong. But I see and hear plenty of outrage from Christian organizations. You should listen to AM Christian radio sometime. It's pretty much all "outrage".

What I am responding to is bigotry. And if it is mostly being directed toward the Catholic perspective of it, then I'm still being consistent as Catholicism is Christianity.
Catholicism is one form of Christianity. And I guess if a handful of people on TV saying mean things about the Church is enough to cause you to think "media bigotry against Christianity is everywhere", there's not much I can say, other than maybe some perspective is in order. Overall, be it through God's design or by a lucky throw of the dice, you and I have things extremely nice, when compared to the majority of humans in the world and throughout history.

I mean, look at the demeaning and condescending things people have said to me just in the short time I've been on this forum. Does it bother you? If so, why haven't you done anything about it? If not, why not?

I didn't say they weren't true, I said they weren't examples of "the media being demeaning towards Christianity".

Perhaps it's more relative than I thought.

If we're going that route, then everyone (including Christianity and the RCC) is demeaning to everyone and everything all the time. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that acting like Christianity and the RCC are somehow different in this regard simply isn't realistic.

That's a bit broad. The argument isn't whether some are demeaning -- naturally, Christians (Protestants and Catholics) can be quite demeaning to people unlike them. However, the point is there is an imbalance of outrage.

Perhaps you don't, and I didn't mean to put anything on you unfairly. However, it's coming off as if you do.

But to someone like her, she sees the RCC as injecting its religion into her life, both in terms of her sexuality and medical decisions. So if she were here, I'm sure she'd be like, "If the RCC doesn't want to be on the receiving end of my criticisms, then it should stay out of my life."

I'm not saying I agree with her, I'm just saying that when an organization like the RCC is so politically active and influences politics in such a way that it affects everyone, including non-Catholics, some blow back has to be expected. And when it comes to issues of a very personal nature, you probably should expect that blow back to be fairly nasty at times. People generally don't like a religious group they don't belong to dictating what they can or can't do.

I think criticism is absolutely fair. We're all critical of something, and it's true that the Catholic Church is very active in social justices--more so than any other Christian group. And you're indeed right that there is going to be blowback. Nevertheless, while people can expect harsh remarks and insulting, pejorative reactions, this doesn't mean those reactions are just. Discussion and objective criticisms are absolutely reasonable, but to bring in bigoted statements is different.

For instance, post 9/11, the bigoted remarks towards Muslims was ultimately addressed...as it should have been. After the attacks, "Is this what Islam stands for" and "Does the Qur'an teach this sort of activity" were reasonable questions and were given reasonable answers. To make statements like "Muslims are terrorists" and "All Muslims are out to kill infidels" is bigoted. The concern is when people jump the gun and conclude X group is evil rather than asking more solid questions that get to the bottom of it all.

I can see that this is a pretty sensitive area for you, so let's just agree that the cases were horrific and hopefully the necessary steps are being taken to keep such things from happening again.

I think when people are directly trying to insult and besmirch my faith, my religion, etc., it becomes a very sensitive subject. It would be like if someone were to directly besmirch and smear someone very dear to you like a family member or best friend. If someone did that to you, I have a feeling you would probably stand up and defend that person because you love him/her. That's all I am meaning to do.

????? Are you saying the media never, ever reports on Christians being killed?
No, of course not, that would be bizarre. But the imbalance is overwhelming.

I'd say that's not true. Whenever I go to Christian groups, either online or in person, I almost always read/hear about that sort of thing. So at the very least, the Christians in those groups "bat an eye".

This is true, but this is in regards to biases. I'm always ready to call out fellow Christians when they commit the same biases...and many do unfortunately.

Yes, I agree it is wrong. But I see and hear plenty of outrage from Christian organizations. You should listen to AM Christian radio sometime. It's pretty much all "outrage".

It sucks when they are the only ones.

Catholicism is one form of Christianity. And I guess if a handful of people on TV saying mean things about the Church is enough to cause you to think "media bigotry against Christianity is everywhere", there's not much I can say, other than maybe some perspective is in order. Overall, be it through God's design or by a lucky throw of the dice, you and I have things extremely nice, when compared to the majority of humans in the world and throughout history.

I mean, look at the demeaning and condescending things people have said to me just in the short time I've been on this forum. Does it bother you? If so, why haven't you done anything about it? If not, why not?

I have spoken up. I've said people need to tone down the condescending remarks. We're hear to discuss, not insult.

There's one thing I noticed that I haven't said yet that I should have said...

...I'm guilty of this stuff sometimes. Sometimes my biases are so obvious that it's revolting. There are time where I get so caught up in them that I haven't even stopped to ask if I'm even being fair.

My hope is that I treat everyone with kindness, fairness, and charity while still not being afraid to defend what I believe is right. This is one of my struggles in fact as I can be a real schmuck sometimes.

Back