Sunday School - March 8, 2009

Sunday School - March 8, 2009

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want (Psalms 23:1). He is the leader of my life, the Lord to whom I give complete rule; for in all that He has given, I have found no lack. Even when my desires exceed His abundance, His provisions have never failed to suffice. To Him I give my allegiance, in Him I am a recipient to that which God has promised “God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19)”.

Jesus is the good shepherd who provided the ultimate standard by which all men should aspire; the holy servant made redeemer, God’s greatest gift to man. The good shepherd who gave more than His labor of care, a faithful shepherd who spared nothing but gave even Himself:

John 10:11. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Romans 5:8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ (the good shepherd) died for us.

Only in God is there found the Good and Perfect Shepherd, as men we can only aspire to follow. In a world where leaders (human shepherds) will most often fail, we must hold fast to our faith in the Good Shepherd and wait patiently for His glorious return.

John 14:3. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

This week's lesson is again from the book of Ezekiel. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (March 8, 2009) comes from Ezekiel 34:23-31.

Ezekiel was given a vision of a time of rest, a Sabbath realize; a reaping of the harvest, a time of peace. Unlike times before, no hireling, selfish leader or unrighteous king will be given power to rule; only the Good Shepherd will reign.

A promise not yet realized that God will one day set up one shepherd who will reign supreme; not by a democracy, but a single ruler who is absolute. Such will be an absolute state of righteousness from a ruler who is the author of truth.

God will make a covenant with His people and rid their land of all enemies. He will make safe both wilderness and woods and remove the impediments of trees in the fields and allow them to rain fruitful blessings upon his people. He will remove all men who would prey on His people, for “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished (2 Peter 2:9)”. He will allow all beasts to live at peace with His people, a blessing of harmony experienced only by Adam and Eve.

He will raise up for them a plant of renown, the righteous branch of David, Jesus our Lord and Savior. His people will live in spiritual relationship with the Lord where famine and scarcity will be no more. Neither will the reproach of sin be unto His people, for the sin that bring such judgment will be no more.

Then God people will know that God is with them, that He is their God and they are His flock. Such is the knowledge that surpasses all and such is our blessed hope, our hope for the day when the Good Shepherd will return.

Titus 2:13. Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to live eternity with the Good Shepherd) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back