"Spectacular"

Have you noticed recently how people seem to be looking more and more for the "Spectacular"?

If it is big.....we like it.
If it is loud..we like it.

I am referring of course to Christian events and church activities.

If you watch any religious TV the thing that jumps off the screen at you is the amount of "Emotionalism" take takes place in large church auditoriums.

The question posed to you is this. When it comes to spiritual matters....is bigger better?

I prefer smaller myself, but is bigger better?

When I hear something like this I think better than what exactly. Sounds like a personal judgment call where individuals have their own standards to determine what is better for them.

I prefer smaller myself, but is bigger better?

When I hear something like this I think better than what exactly. Sounds like a personal judgment call where individuals have their own standards to determine what is better for them.

Chuch......do you think that what we see in large gatherings is an emotional responce to what is seen going on around them or a real movement of the Holy Spirit.

YES....I realize that is a highly subjective question. I am just curious so I will not hold you to your opinion.

Emotional highs of reaction or response to bigger and louder are part of the process of a new Christian. As we mature we personally distinguish where God calls us to serve Him. This can include a small or large gathering, quieter or louder spiritually, and with a small or large level of emotion.

Personally, when I define my emotion, I'm in a smaller church setting where my emotion is filled with the Holy, Spiritual presence of God.

I don't watch much tv evangelism, and prefer Christian talk and sermon radio. There isn't much emotionalism there.

But on the other hand, we had young and middle age adult Christians led to larger or mega Christian gatherings which included concerts and events and experienced bigger and louder. Their emotional response to bigger and louder is a personal one between them and God.

Bigger and louder is not necessarily better for many.

Major to me. The only thing that should be growing bigger, for anyone

is the mustard seed that was started off with, into a bush, and
into the holy spirit bring forth a new creation by faith on the Lord Jesus Christ
and realizing we are saved by the grace of God which is a gift,
even though we made the choice to have faith, the grace of God
is a gift that given to all believers freely.

That even though we make mistakes and mess up, God still cares and desires
to hear our prayers and to always look towards him,
and his will instead of our own will.

Chuch......do you think that what we see in large gatherings is an emotional responce to what is seen going on around them or a real movement of the Holy Spirit.

YES....I realize that is a highly subjective question. I am just curious so I will not hold you to your opinion.

Personally I don't seek an emotional response, I seek a spiritual connection and fellowship when I go to church.

Personally I don't seek an emotional response, I seek a spiritual connection and fellowship when I go to church.
I agree and that's how I am. But people feed off of people and
the Spirit agrees with the Spirit. If a thousand people "get the
Spirit" it looks a whole lot different than 12 members in a
building with 1 "getting happy", as one of my daughters calls it.
Jesus promises that where 2 or more gathered in His name He will
be there. More people means more Presence. I could go either way
on this because I prefer teaching over an experience but we all need

something different and our preference does not convey God's method.

Smaller is nice as well, when you know everyone's name and the need for all to be involved in service is greater. One can get lost in huge crowds and be a stranger. It is kind of like one's working experience. I worked at large companies and I've worked in companies with as little as two employees. There is good and bad in both. If I had to choose today, I would work in a small company. Why, one is forced to do more because each position is responsible for many more areas.

In a smaller church, it is like that small job employer. There is no place to hide and one needs to step up and serve or many things fall short.

Smaller is nice as well, when you know everyone's name and the need for all to be involved in service is greater. One can get lost in huge crowds and be a stranger. It is kind of like one's working experience. I worked at large companies and I've worked in companies with as little as two employees. There is good and bad in both. If I had to choose today, I would work in a small company. Why, one is forced to do more because each position is responsible for many more areas.

In a smaller church, it is like that small job employer. There is no place to hide and one needs to step up and serve or many things fall short.

When you see a lot of people in a large church doing "happy" things and then a lot more people follow them.......do you think that is an actual work of the Holy Spirit or do you think it is see and follow the leader?

When you see a lot of people in a large church doing "happy" things and then a lot more people follow them.......do you think that is an actual work of the Holy Spirit or do you think it is see and follow the leader?

Depends on the motivation, if it is only emotional then no. I believe though that God can work in large churches and small.

Seems like those looking for the 'spectacular' are setting themselves up for deception...

The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2Th 2:9-12)

No, that makes me think of 'clap happy' North Korea. (well, not so 'happy')

Seems like those looking for the 'spectacular' are setting themselves up for deception...

The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2Th 2:9-12)

There you go! I agree!

Have you noticed recently how people seem to be looking more and more for the "Spectacular"?

If it is big.....we like it.
If it is loud..we like it.

I am referring of course to Christian events and church activities.

If you watch any religious TV the thing that jumps off the screen at you is the amount of "Emotionalism" take takes place in large church auditoriums.

The question posed to you is this. When it comes to spiritual matters....is bigger better?
Jeremiah did not have a dingle convert in his ministry as prophet, so would be a "failure: today!
This need for signs and wonders and big events will lead right into coming of the Antichrist and false religion!

Back