Romans 7

Romans 7 study. Comments in >>blue.

1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?
>>Tent maker Paul now changes hats and becomes Attorney Paul and breaks out his lawyer-speak. Paul is continuing the discussion from Romans 6. He starts off talking to those who know or have experience in the law. It is generally accepted that law only applies to the living, since a dead person can't "do" anything to break the law. It is preposterous to think that you could throw a corpse in jail. Now this doesn't prevent those in power from trying to get what remains in the deceased's estate after they die. But that would bring politics into this and..... moving on.

2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.
>>Marriage laws throughout history have maintained that a marriage lasts and continues while both spouses are alive. "Till death do us part". This was a common thing in the old days even in middle-aged or younger couples, that often one spouse dies young and leaves a widow(er) who then may remarry because the law becomes null.

3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.
>>Basic here, the wife remarries and the only difference on whether she is breaking the law is if the husband is alive or not.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
>>So Paul goes from an analogy in Ch. 6 of being a slave to either sin or righteousness, to an analogy of being married to either sin or another- Christ. Since we died with Christ through our faith in Him and being baptized into His life, we are free to "marry" as the bride of Christ. Using a tree or vine analogy, Paul says that we would, through this union with Christ, bear fruit to God. Yes, we are to produce good fruit, or beneficial product.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
>>When our spirit was beholden to the "flesh" or body, our sinful passions or desires were "aroused by the law". We all have seen, I'm sure, those people, or even ourselves, who would do things against authority just because it was going against authority. We have a lot of trouble being told what to do. We Americans especially.
Again, those sinful passions created bad "fruit". Jesus outlines this in Matthew 7:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Back to Romans 7:
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
>>"delivered from the law" as if the law was a bad thing. The law really just puts a spotlight on the sin we have committed. And revolting against it causes more and more sin. Now that we have "died", the law is gone and we can serve in the Spirit and not because the law told you to serve. Read through the interactions Jesus had with the Pharisees. The Pharisees were all-consumed with following the letter of the law. Jesus showed that the spirit of the law was more important.

I also see this passage tying in directly with Rom 7:4...

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
(Gal 2:19-21)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”
>> So many of us do not want to be informed that we did something wrong and sinned. Paul is showing here that the law showed us our sin which caused us to know we needed to get right with God. Conviction leads us to the Savior.

8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.
>>The sin in us causes us to want to break the law... which causes more sin. Without the law, sin is just sin and has no power to do anything more.

9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.
>>This is where things get confusing in the King James versions. When you start to parse the phrases, Paul says he was alive once without the law but the law was given in Moses' time so Paul was never alive without the law. So then one starts going down the road of, does Paul mean Israel when he says "I"? So, we will check out another version to get another view.
NLT version:
9 At one time I lived without understanding the law. But when I learned the command not to covet, for instance, the power of sin came to life, ,10 and I died. .....

>>In the NLT version, verse 9 actually finishes in verse 10. Paul does not hint anywhere that he was talking of someone else, so I would go with this version that Paul is referring to himself. This makes sense, that he was, at one time, too young to know the law or understand it. Once the understanding came, then sin had power to affect him. Then he "died" spiritually. Basically, he is stating that before the age of understanding, a person is not imputed with sin which that person would have to answer, or need redemption for.

10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.
>>The commandment, or law, was to teach people how to live, to bring life. But the law showed us our sin and sin causes spiritual death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.
>>Sin uses the law to first convince you that you can follow the law and be a good person and God will accept you. That is the deceiving part. Then you soon find out you can't keep the law, nor can anyone, and you resent it and then just say "the heck with it" and break laws on purpose. As in, what's the point? That is the killing you part. Spiritually, it wrecks you.
12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
>>So through this process, we learn that we need help and can accept Jesus to be our Savior, because we know we can't do it on our own. Therefore the law is holy....just and good. It causes us to realize what we need.

>>Now we get to the advanced philosophy part:
13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.
>>First Paul asks, "Has the good and holy law become harmful or evil for me?" The answer is no. The evil of sin produces death by using what is good to harm mankind. Since we can't keep the law, sin uses this to bash us spiritually making sin become worse and worse.
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.
>>Here we find something interesting, that the law is spiritual. I never thought of the law as spiritual; I saw it as just a standard to try to follow. This makes sense, in that, the pharisees wanted Jesus to follow the letter of the law, but Jesus taught that we should also pay attention to the SPIRIT of the law. Paul goes on, and we are all sold under sin. Sin and death own us until we accept the payment that Jesus made for us.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
>>Paul says that he does not understand why he does what he does, meaning sin. What he wills to do or spiritually desires to do, that he doesn't practice. Sinful things that he hates, that is what he does. We want to do good and great things. Why do we end up sinning anyway? We intend to not sin, and yet we do.... anyway.
This is all in present tense verbiage as well. Back in verse 10 and 11 it was in past tense. So we are left with Paul admitting that even as the great apostle that he is, he still struggled to refrain from sinning. Our bodies are still sold under sin even while our spirit is saved. How should we reconcile that duality of body and spirit? Paul goes on:

16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
>>If we, then, do things that we never intended to do, as in a reactionary response, then this shows us that we agree with the good law because our intention was to follow the good law. If you had intent to break the law, this would mean you did not agree with the law.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
>>So now we know that since we wanted to follow the law, but were not able to follow through, we know it wasn't us who did it. It was the sin that remains in our bodies that did it. What a mind blowing process! How can we accept this? Knowing this should help us maintain a humble attitude. We are not in control of everything we do. Others are not in control of everything they do either. Why do I hear "patience" knocking on the door?
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
>>Paul admits nothing good is in his flesh. Mentally, our desire or will is there but it cannot control all our actions in the flesh. And Paul had this problem.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
>>The struggle here seems so... defeating! What he wants to do, he can't seem to do it. And the evil he decides he will not do, that he does seemingly over and over. Wow!
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
>>Paul comes to the realization that if he is doing what he never intended to do, it can't be him doing it. It must be the sin that dwells in his body that is doing these things. What a mess we all are. What a great gift grace is. This shows how much love God has for us.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.
>> Let's look at the NLT:
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.
>> Paul finds a law, a governing truth, that while wanting to do good, evil/sin is still present or goes along with him.
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
>> He loves the law of God with all his heart, or inner person. "According to the inward man" was a Greek phrase used to describe the spiritual or immortal part of a person.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
>> Throughout this section, Paul uses the term "law" to describe all these spiritual causations or unexplainable life realities which happen as sure as water runs downhill. There is this "war" between these laws and the law of sin has a hold of his flesh in everything he does.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
>> Paul exclaims that he is a wreck! Then a rhetorical question that we all know the answer.
25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
>> I like the NLT's version of this:
25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
>> Many Christians don't know this chapter and how much Paul struggled to understand this conundrum of being saved and wanting to do right and live a holy life, yet fall short of the goal, realizing sin is still in your flesh, the carnal part of your body which has its own reactions that you can't control all the time. We need so much grace, even from each other.
Chapter 8 answers this section and gives us the goals and reasons for us to have hope for the future.

Yes, I agree so much with this chapter, as lately, I've thought of doing a study on the badger skins around the tabernacle in the wilderness that God commanded to be used in its making! And we know that that badger skin represents our un-born again outer flesh nature. And yes, it is sometimes very frustrating to keep it subject to the word of God!

Thank you for this great post, brother!

Back