religion

watching the Walton's. the opening narrative remark . the Church was preparing to have a yearly revival. the comments to this was the church always had a yearly religious service. my thoughts that is just about what we have today is Religion a form of Godliness but denying the power there of.

you say i am taking that scripture out of context. i dont think so you talk to say a hundred people ask them are you saved? answer is o yes well where do you attend Church at ? i dont go i can worship God anywhere i want. we get more excited about baptism than we do we seeing folks saved. water baptism never saved one soul.. \

in the show it showed this high powered evangelist going to the dew drop inn trying to preach. it looks sounds good on t.v . but it seldom works unless God is in it..
a man i know a missionary Baptist preacher use to a old rough neck . loved bars fought many a man after getting saved He walked into the local bar. with his Bible in his hand sat down at the table and said nothing.. the party soon got quite the bar tender asked him to leave.

before the skeptics start posting questions yes i di know this man personally he would be around 80 years old today. i asked him if he did it. his reply yes i went in to witness to my old buddies.

to share another story a group of men from same town went to same bar. only they went in unplugged the jukebox. a fight just about took place . we can see one man went in humble. the group went in boastful . . yes one of these men in the group was my brother ...

Hello forgiven;

First thought. I remember when I first watched the Waltons as a made for tv movie. After it became a series I didn't watch them but have heard a lot of Christians followed this show up until today. The late Ralph Waite and Richard Thomas were the actors I remember most. I may be missing something here and should look up the tv reruns.

I am not surprised the show used the term religious back in those times, to specify a Godly service. But in these times today the term religion is used loosely and not revering God Almighty, receiving Jesus Christ as our Savior, water baptism has turned into a celebration with lunch and cake afterward without much thought on the meaning.

In a nutshell, the shallow worship of the term religion and our worship of Him has become watered down. Ironically, when a man who carouses the bar is frowned upon because of their shallow take on the term religion.

Seasoned Christians,
the ones who don't fret reading the Bible daily, or love worshiping in church with others, Praise God! We understand the brother who frequented the bars is just another of many circumstances. Like all of us, we have learned what it feels like to minister to broken people as we ourselves are a broken people.

forgiven, I don't feel you are taking Scripture out of context. You are merely telling the truth based on your hard knocks experience as a pastor. We work hard to prepare for True, Christian, Corporate Worship and celebrate those who attend and worship God.

I officiated a funeral today and spoke to a couple. They love the Lord but aren't going to church, I didn't pry but they gave me their reason and said they're watching tv worship for now.

I didn't judge them but gave them my card and I said while they're searching in between being led to church, they're invited to attend our worship service on Sunday.

God bless you, forgiven, your family and church family.

Though my wife and I enjoy some of the Waltons for entertainment it would be one of the last places I'd go for spiritual guidance.
Perhaps Pastor Fordwick needs to concentrate on teaching his congregation the basics rather than running after revivalists. lol

forgiven, I don't feel you are taking Scripture out of context. You are merely telling the truth based on your hard knocks experience as a pastor. We work hard to prepare for True, Christian, Corporate Worship and celebrate those who attend and worship God.

I officiated a funeral today and spoke to a couple. They love the Lord but aren't going to church, I didn't pry but they gave me their reason and said they're watching tv worship for now.

I didn't judge them but gave them my card and I said while they're searching in between being led to church, they're invited to attend our worship service on Sunday.
my thoughts at the time has nothing todo with past experience.. it is focused on present i went last sunday night visited the evang pastor i was saved under. as i was visiting before services his remarks was i have never seen anything like this. i told him bro every preacher you talk to is saying the same thing. times are changing and not for the good. other than christ return is not far off . Christ said because iniquity shall abound the Love of many shall wax cold. we have to be like the 5 wise virgins oil lamps trimmed and ready and extra oil .. all this is a full time Job the ways of this world effects us even if we dont want to admit it

First thought. I remember when I first watched the Waltons as a made for tv movie. After it became a series I didn't watch them but have heard a lot of Christians followed this show up until today. The late Ralph Waite and Richard Thomas were the actors I remember most. I may be missing something here and should look up the tv reruns.

I am not surprised the show used the term religious back in those times, to specify a Godly service. But in these times today the term religion is used loosely and not revering God Almighty, receiving Jesus Christ as our Savior, water baptism has turned into a celebration with lunch and cake afterward without much thought on the meaning.

In a nutshell, the shallow worship of the term religion and our worship of Him has become watered down. Ironically, when a man who carouses the bar is frowned upon because of their shallow take on the term religion.
agreed

Though my wife and I enjoy some of the Waltons for entertainment it would be one of the last places I'd go for spiritual guidance.
Perhaps Pastor Fordwick needs to concentrate on teaching his congregation the basics rather than running after revivalists. lol
what we have to realize is its just a show, ralph the father of the Walton kids was actually at one time a ordained minister. gma she was by far a saint in real life . the show is good to watch even little house on the praise was good but i noticed they felt infant baptism was essential to make it to heaven . .just a note every thing that glitters is not Gold and that includes t.v church broadcast

he also was an alcoholic, as well was Michael Learned (the Mother). Ralph went dry doing the Waltons saying it really helped him.
the show had some good morals and few bible principals i f one paid attention as the series progressed mom and g parents left the show. the family went down hill john boy comes back from his incident started drinking all the boys started drinking

the show had some good morals and few bible principals i f one paid attention as the series progressed mom and g parents left the show. the family went down hill john boy comes back from his incident started drinking all the boys started drinking
That's what you get when you try to stick in a fake John-Boy, lol.

but minus the show --religion is gradually taking over , its real easy to have a controlled church service . sing some songs stir emotions up. have a preacher read off a sermonette have a song go to the dinette and smoke a Marlboro cigarrete

Early on in my Christian walk I learned that

'religion was man's attempt to reach up to God,
whereas salvation was God reaching down to man through His Son Jesus Christ'.

It has proven a good foundation stone since.

Because man was made in God's image, the yearning to reach God has been inbred in man since the Fall,
yet man, because of the Fall, goes about it wrongly dismissing God's redemptive Act through His Son.

I've never seen the Waltons so no idea what you are going on about.

I think religion for many people is something you are devoted to regularly, like some people say sport is their religion. So it not necessarily Christian. It could also be Judaism or Catholicsim, or Scientology. For some it's yoga.

I've never seen the Waltons so no idea what you are going on about.

I think religion for many people is something you are devoted to regularly, like some people say sport is their religion. So it not necessarily Christian. It could also be Judaism or Catholicsim, or Scientology. For some it's yoga.
the Walton's is based a show growing up in rural America during the great depression

do you all have any american shows on your t.v ?

Often people will tell me, "Thanks, but I'm not religious", so I'll respond with, "What do you believe happens to a person when they die?"
So whatever their answer is, I'll respond with, "Ok, then that is your religious view"

'religion was man's attempt to reach up to God,
whereas salvation was God reaching down to man through His Son Jesus Christ'.
that IS EXACTLY what this post is about . even Satanism being agnostic atheist is a religion . at a buddy mine church a young 16 year old came to Jesus and Got saved. being a new born babe he don't understand.. the basic fundamentals of going to church ( yes that outdated old fashioned stuff) a new born babe needs discipleship .
i am grateful after i got saved i had a fire burning with in. i surely did not understand but i had great support a young adult Sunday school teacher was my 1st grade teacher. in 1st grade she was MS Mary in church she was our sister Mary. the entire class loved her and her husband.
she broke things down to a level we All understood. { whereas salvation was God reaching down to man through His Son Jesus Christ'. } only thing i will add is === a relationship with Christ , when we grieve God we should be grieved. just like when we done wrong growing up . even though we did our parents, we didn't want them knowing...

i am not typing much more . i am not a writer but a speaker but the above has put my post on the right path bro Bob in faith added to the cake cross put the icing on

that IS EXACTLY what this post is about . even Satanism being agnostic atheist is a religion . at a buddy mine church a young 16 year old came to Jesus and Got saved. being a new born babe he don't understand.. the basic fundamentals of going to church ( yes that outdated old fashioned stuff) a new born babe needs discipleship .
i am grateful after i got saved i had a fire burning with in. i surely did not understand but i had great support a young adult Sunday school teacher was my 1st grade teacher. in 1st grade she was MS Mary in church she was our sister Mary. the entire class loved her and her husband.
she broke things down to a level we All understood. { whereas salvation was God reaching down to man through His Son Jesus Christ'. } only thing i will add is === a relationship with Christ , when we grieve God we should be grieved. just like when we done wrong growing up . even though we did our parents, we didn't want them knowing...

i am not typing much more . i am not a writer but a speaker but the above has put my post on the right path bro Bob in faith added to the cake cross put the icing on
What you learned in 1st grade, (being unchurched) it took me until I was 25 to hear and learn.

Back