Refund for Expired Foods

I am getting refunded for the expired foods that I bought from July 2022 [I had no idea it was expired]. It was nearly 80 dollars.

They are coming to pick then up tomorrow. All 6 boxes.

The company of the foods [manufacturers/company] is also giving me coupons for 8 free products for free. They felt very upset for me and said the store shouldn't have sold them at that date.

Bad news - they are no longer making the product. So now I am without having it. Kind of really disappointed. Something will come around.

Praise God it has been taken care of and I am healthy in thay regards once again!

Last edited:
They are coming to pick then up tomorrow. All 6 boxes.

Do you happen to know what they will do with the old food?

When retired (actually, when my job disappeared in the economic conditions in 2009) I used the free time to volunteer sorting food for the local food bank. We had rules of thumb regarding how out of date the food could be, as well as how dented a can can be and still be considered safe. Food that does not require refrigeration can often be safely used very much later than the expiration date, especially if it has been properly stored (i.e. kept cool, dry and away from pests).

I went along to help on some of the deliveries from the food bank to distrubution sites and know that these people really appreciate the food. even when it not may *_look_* usable.

Do you happen to know what they will do with the old food?

When retired (actually, when my job disappeared in the economic conditions in 2009) I used the free time to volunteer sorting food for the local food bank. We had rules of thumb regarding how out of date the food could be, as well as how dented a can can be and still be considered safe. Food that does not require refrigeration can often be safely used very much later than the expiration date, especially if it has been properly stored (i.e. kept cool, dry and away from pests).

I went along to help on some of the deliveries from the food bank to distrubution sites and know that these people really appreciate the food. even when it not may *_look_* usable
I actually contacted the manufactor of the product. They said because it is a year they need to be tossed. In no way shape or form should they be sold or given to eat. They are not ediable nor do they have any nutritional value. I can understand 2-4 months but not a year. The food and health inspection/labelling agency is also involved.
I got food poisioning from it - I was very sick eating it since Weds until about Friday/Sat.

They will probably sell them, although they aren't suppose to - the Food Agency will following with the actual comapny to verify this.

Praise God the money has been fully returned as of today. There was some difficult with possibly the opened box that I got sick on - but they ensured all the funds where in the envelope when they picked up the boxes today. I am so grateful the Lord handled it so quickly. He also blessed me in ways to ensure that I would be okay. All done and issue has been rectified.

Do you happen to know what they will do with the old food? When retired (actually, when my job disappeared in the economic conditions in 2009) I used the free time to volunteer sorting food for the local food bank. We had rules of thumb regarding how out of date the food could be, as well as how dented a can can be and still be considered safe. Food that does not require refrigeration can often be safely used very much later than the expiration date, especially if it has been properly stored (i.e. kept cool, dry and away from pests). I went along to help on some of the deliveries from the food bank to distrubution sites and know that these people really appreciate the food. even when it not may *_look_* usable.
I actually contacted the manufactor of the product. They said because it is a year they need to be tossed. In no way shape or form should they be sold or given to eat. They are not ediable nor do they have any nutritional value. I can understand 2-4 months but not a year. The food and health inspection/labelling agency is also involved. I got food poisioning from it - I was very sick eating it since Weds until about Friday/Sat. They will probably sell them, although they aren't suppose to - the Food Agency will following with the actual comapny to verify this.

Hello Siloam and TiC;

Am I correct in saying we have to understand both food service agencies and the volume of food they manage and distribute?

It's unfortunate that some bad food will slip through the system as in the case of
TiC. Regardless, we must report it.

In
TiC's case the refund to her family was the right thing to.

God bless
you both and your families.

I am not sure of your question bobinfaith - I will try to answer. The store in which I purchased all the food from [six boxes] said they would have been find to consume. However this was a year past the date. Because Canada has a Best Before - they took off expired so that no one could sue anymore. They were getting sued a lot - it comes down to common sense. When you look online about frozen pizza dough - maximum is 4-5 months from the date you have made it. Having the date being March 2022 and July 2022 - no store would in their ethical/moral practices would sell customers food that have been sitting that long at full price [and it looked like the boxes were soggy so it had not been consistently frozen as the box was not in perfect box formed shape - it looked like it had been allowed to thaw and refreeze]. Again I didn't really pay attention I was just so excited I got my special foods that morning at 3:45am on delivery time.

The food health inspection/labeling agency needs to see if this has been a common practice in what they are doing, how they are distributing items like these. I understand these food are expensive but it comes to a health and safety issue and consumer's rights.

If people knowingly want to purchase food that is a year past from the date it was made - they should be informed and the price should be reduced and discounted.

However in my case - I was not warned. Had I known I would have never ordered them online [and had them delivered since the store was out of town and not in my city]. I have just learned the company has stopped making this product as of last year so this was old stock.

When you go into a grocery store you are aware of the dates, labels and usually they are discounted to clear the inventory off the shelves.

When we got ahold of them the first individual felt so bad, but then the owner tried to reduce all the items 50% which in no way I was going to get sick off of them and knowing I had spoken to the actual company they said it needed to be thrown out and tossed. Not suitable to eat.

I hope that they do take better care of the issue at hand. Like I said if I had known I would have not agreed to purchase them. If I would have seen the dates upon delivery - I would have given it back to the delivery man and refused the product.

I don't think anyone else would enjoy being sick. Going to the washroom 6-8 times, being in horrible pain, being nauseated so badly. It was not a fun trip and I don't care to repeat that. LOL

Back