Putting a Face with the Name - Pharaohs

Shoshenq I was the first Pharaoh of the 22nd dynasty of Egypt. He is mentioned in the Bible by the name Shishak (also spelled Shishaq).

"Solomon tried to kill Jeroboam, but Jeroboam fled to Egypt, to Shishak the king, and stayed there until Solomon’s death" (1 Kings 11:4).

"In the fifth year of King Rehoboam, Shishak king of Egypt attacked Jerusalem" (1 Kings 14:25).

See 2 Chron. 12:2-9 for a fuller account of Shishak attacked upon Jerusalem.

Sphinx of Shoshenq I
Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 1.59.49 PM.pngSphinx of

The one in the middle is Shoshenq I (aka Shishak). The one on the left is the god Amun, and the one on the right is Iuput, Shoshenq's son and High Priest of Amun.
Shoshenq_I_by_Rosellini.jpg

Good morning, Origen;

Very interesting about the dynasties in Egypt. If I'm correct King Ramses II was the Pharaoh who challenged Moses in the 19th dynasty?

What is the significance of the dynasties?

God bless you, Origen.

I wonder how many dynasties there were from the beginning to?
The count ends at 30 or 31, depending on certain factors.

The reason is that Dynasty 30 was the final native dynasty of ancient Egypt. Dynasty 31 was Persian, who defeat had Egypt, and which in turn fell to Alexander the Great who was crowned Pharaoh.

Osorkon IV was the last Pharaoh of the 22nd dynasty of Egypt. He is mentioned once in the Old Testament.

Let's add some context. Hoshea was king of North Israel and a vassal of Shalmaneser V. At some point Hoshea stopped paying tribute and had sent envoys to Egypt for help.

"Shalmaneser king of Assyria came up to attack Hoshea, who had been Shalmaneser’s vassal and had paid him tribute. 4 But the king of Assyria discovered that Hoshea was a traitor, for he had sent envoys to So king of Egypt, and he no longer paid tribute to the king of Assyria, as he had done year by year. Therefore Shalmaneser seized him and put him in prison" (2 Kings 17:3-4).

There is good evidence for identifying So the king of Egypt with Osorkon IV.
osorkon-iv-1.png

And by the way, we have no idea what happen to Hoshea after Shalmaneser captured him. 2 Kings 17:3-4 is the last record we have about him. I am sure whatever it was it was not good.

Last edited:
Taharqa was the fourth Pharaoh of the 25th dynasty of Egypt. He is mentioned twice in the Old Testament.

"Now Sennacherib received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. So he again sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, 2 Kings 19:9).

"Now Sennacheribab received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. When he heard it, he sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, Isaiah 37:9).

Before we get to Taharqa, Sennacherib, this fellow who is also mentioned, was king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire.
Sanherib-tr-4271.jpg

Note that Taharqa (i.e. Tirhakah) is called the king of Cush which he was. However the 25th dynasty was a line of pharaohs who originated in the Kingdom of Kush and took over the whole of Egypt. It would be the Neo-Assyrian Empire who drove out the Kushite kings from Egypt putting an end to their rule.
Taharqa,_Louvre_Museum.jpg

Taharqa was the fourth Pharaoh of the 25th dynasty of Egypt. He is mentioned twice in the Old Testament. "Now Sennacherib received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. So he again sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, 2 Kings 19:9). "Now Sennacheribab received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. When he heard it, he sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, Isaiah 37:9). Before we get to Taharqa, Sennacherib, this fellow who is also mentioned, was king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. Note that Taharqa (i.e. Tirhakah) is called the king of Cush which he was. However the 25th dynasty was a line of pharaohs who originated in the Kingdom of Kush and took over the whole of Egypt. It would be the Neo-Assyrian Empire who drove out the Kushite kings from Egypt putting an end to their rule.

Hello Origen;

I'd like to share a personal thought and comment.

The history of Taharqa Pharaoh, King Sennacherib, King Tirhakah and more shown in these magnificent statues and (graven) images from so long ago but their human death resulted without faith in the True God.

I hardly see any statues of Godly men and women who believed and served our God.

God bless you, Origen.

Hello Origen;

I'd like to share a personal thought and comment.

The history of Taharqa Pharaoh, King Sennacherib, King Tirhakah and more shown in these magnificent statues and (graven) images from so long ago but their human death resulted without faith in the True God.

I hardly see any statues of Godly men and women who believed and served our God.

God bless you, Origen.
The truth is there just are not any. The only known portrayal of an Israelite or Judean king in ancient Near Eastern art is Jehu.

So what might be the some reasons for this?

(1) They may simply be lost to time. There are literally dozens and dozens and dozens of rulers\kings for which we have no statues, busts or reliefs.

(2) It could simply have been a case of not enough resources. For example, the Neo-Assyrian and Persian empires were much more wealthy than North Israel and Judah. During the time of the divided monarchy, North Israel and Judah were often vassals of some other empire\kingdom and had to pay tribute to other nations.

(3) The second commandment could come into play. To one degree or another, the majority of kings\rulers in the ancient world were deified during their life time. I don't know how much this comes into play since a number of divided monarchy rulers followed pagan practices, and I have do doubt they would have if given the chance.

Just some thoughts.

Necho II (i.e. Neco) was the second king of the 26th dynasty. Necho is mentioned several times in the Old Testament. He is quite an important figure.

Above in post 7, I pointed out that it was the Neo-Assyrian Empire who drove out the Kushite kings from Egypt putting an end to their rule. Now the Neo-Assyrian Empire was in trouble and it was the Egyptian Pharaoh Necho II who would give aid.

"While Josiah was king, Pharaoh Necho king of Egypt went up to the Euphrates River to help the king of Assyria. King Josiah marched out to meet him in battle, but Necho faced him and killed him at Megiddo" (2 Kings 23:29). Also see 2 Chron. 35:20-23.

Necho killed King Josiah. King Josiah's son Jehoahaz took the throne and reigned in Judah but only for three months. Necho removed him from the throne, took him prisoner, and shipped off to Egypt. Necho then put Eliakim brother of Jehoahaz and son of Josiah on the throne as king. Necho changed Eliakim name to Jehoiakim.

"The king of Egypt made Eliakim, a brother of Jehoahaz, king over Judah and Jerusalem and changed Eliakim’s name to Jehoiakim. But Nechoa took Eliakim’s brother Jehoahaz and carried him off to Egypt" (2 Chon. 36:4). Also see 2 Kings 23:31-34.

This is Pharaoh Necho II.
necho-ii-penn-museum-2.jpg
pharaoh_d26_apm.jpg

Historically speaking Necho is a very important player concerning the Kingdom of Judah. Necho was soundly defeated at the batter of Carchemish by this fellow.
nebuchadnezzar-stele.png
Perhaps you have heard of him, Nebuchadnezzar II.

bobinfaith I thought you might find this bit of information interesting. According to one source "there are only four known images of King Nebuchadnezzar; this stele contains the best-preserved likeness."

The whole Jeremiah 46 is an oracle against Pharaoh Necho and Egypt. Verses 1-12 concerns Necho's defeat at Carchemish.

The event of this battle are recorded in the Nebuchadnezzar Chronicle.
The_cuneiform_inscription_highlights_the_conquest_of_Jerusalem_and_the_surrender_of_Jehoiakim,...jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, Origen;

The Nebuchadnezzar II that we know in 2 Kings, 2 Chronicles, Jeremiah and Daniel was one of, if not the greatest king in Babylon. He allowed the Jews in captivity to continue worshiping God but on his political terms as far as cooperation.

But as far as Nebuchadnezzar II conquering Judah, he could not conquer God and after 7 years of insanity he ended up worshiping God and I believe Daniel was responsible.

As far as Nebuchadnezzar I prior to Nebuchadnezzar II and the two other Nebuchadnezzar's, could you briefly share where they came from in history?

Also, was the name Nebuchadnezzar a title of the king, similar to Pharaoh?

God bless you, Origen.

Good morning, Origen;

The Nebuchadnezzar II that we know in 2 Kings, 2 Chronicles, Jeremiah and Daniel was one of, if not the greatest king in Babylon. He allowed the Jews in captivity to continue worshiping God but on his political terms as far as cooperation.

But as far as Nebuchadnezzar II conquering Judah, he could not conquer God and after 7 years of insanity he ended up worshiping God and I believe Daniel was responsible.

As far as Nebuchadnezzar I prior to Nebuchadnezzar II and the two other Nebuchadnezzar's, could you briefly share where they came from in history?

Also, was the name Nebuchadnezzar a title of the king, similar to Pharaoh?

God bless you, Origen.
Nebuchadnezzar II was his name (i.e. Hebrew form). The Akkadian form of his name is Nabû-kudurri-uṣur. It means something like "Nebo, Protect Your Servant\Heir." Nabu is the name of a Babylonian god.

The Akkadian word for king is "lugal." It means big\great man.

Back