Problem of Harm

I've been listening to a number of Christian philosophers, university professors, intellects, ministers, et al, and they ALL speak as if the "problem of harm" question is among the most difficult to answer when atheists, gnostics, agnostics, etc., bring it up.

What really is at issue here? They claim the answer is not at all simple. Really? Why make it so difficult?

My observations have been that the world simply doesn't want any answer besides just one...God is allegedly not so loving and powerful as Christians claim.

Additionally, the world doesn't want to hear the REAL answer, in that the Lord has given to mankind a Book that has all the answers necessary to reduce the majority of suffering in the world...apart from those who practice victimhood because of their being so lazy. That Book shows mankind the necessity to abstain from adultery, idolatry, fornication, theft, violence, greed, abuse of power, et al. It has ALL the answers mankind could possibly need to make all of life so much better for everyone, apart from disease and death...and even then, there is solace, healing at times, and comfort for all of life and death.

It can also be observed that those who whine and complain about the problem of harm, never accepting the harsh realities behind this governing phenomenon over all of mankind, will not ever be satisfied with the fact that their blaming God and calling His benevolence into question will never esteem them in my eyes or the eyes of the Lord. Rather than to blame the Lord for "allowing" it all, these perpetual victims need to see their own guilt and that of mankind in general. The majority of suffering in this world is the result of man himself, not God!

There! See how simple that is? It's so simple that dare they consider it, they realize their inability to change all of mankind to bring the world into alignment with that Book we call the Bible, so they naturally, in accordance with fleshly corruptions, gravitate toward blaming the One who will not at this time address them nor lift a finger to do the dog and pony show they want God to subject Himself to in order to satisfy their desires.

What I say to them is to do what they can to make their own corner of the world a better place, and influence others to do the same. In so doing, they heap up reward for themselves if they are in Christ. Apart from Christ, it's all in vain since good works save nobody. Even that woman they called "mother Teressa," all those "good works" of hers will have availed her NOTHING at all for entrance into Heaven if she had not been born again. That's for God alone to judge rather than people on this earth demanding where she ends up. All her work failed to change the Indian culture away from a class-based system.

So, the primary blame rests squarely on the shoulders of mankind, not God. Those who want to blame God for allowing it all, that allowance is simply the outflow of the freedom we ALL have in living out what we're really made of in this life, and whether we will live again in the next life, or die again. The choice if quite clear, and this world of fallenness in freedom is the perfect test bed to separate the sheep from the goats in the manner that nothing else would suffice.

Does that seem harsh? It is a little too-matter-of-factly for the pallet sensations of some? Does it rub some the wrong way? Does it seem too simplistic?

What do YOU think?

MM

I think you hit the nail square on the head. They love their sin but want everyone else to be perfect. People these days are looking for a reason to be offended. If, instead, we were to follow what the bible teaches, mankind could eliminate crime by practising love. Love does not hurt others nor steal from them. Certain diseases would be gone if people were to be chaste and faithful to their spouses. Those who deny God choose to stay and wallow in their sin, while at the same time complaining about everybody else. It is what a reprobate mind does.

The so-called "apologists" out there seem to think placating the whiners is the right way to go, trying to pander what they think is "compassionate" toward those who are hurting and suffering, and so the "other" answers they offer to those who refuse to find solace in the simplicity of the answers found in the Book, they seek other avenues of complex responses that they seem to think will provide the needed comfort against the backdrop of horrors mankind continues to bring down upon his fellow man.

The psychoanalytical nonsense I've seen various of the Christian philosophers pander outward to those who have itching ears for answers for why the Lord allows all this, the resulting battery of responses are very dissatisfying dare the recipients be honest and forthright. The bad news with which the mass media pours out like a massive waterfall fails to grapple with the fact that God is in charge! He alone is the Source of all the powers the demonic hordes have been empowered. He can at any time withdraw that power, but allows it all to continue as it is for purposes that prophecy has shed the light of Truth upon.

Foundationally, however, it remains that mankind is ultimately to blame for the majority of the evils of suffering and death, and, yes, even as Dave pointed out, diseases, be they transmitted sexually one to another, or in labs that brazenly release disease out into the world populations in the name of agendas they dare not admit in the open. All, however, will be revealed what was done in the dark!

MM

Is there anyone who doesn't love the things of this world, the mountains, rivers, deserts and sky?

Is there anyone who doesn't love fine food, good drink, and friendly company?

Is there anyone who doesn't love the feel of the air in the early spring morning or late summer evening?

I dare say no.

Those who hate God, fail to see the beauty that is all around them. They cry out in their myopia, fixated upon their personal pain at the expense of infinite beauty.

Don't judge them but rather pray for them, for they are lost.

Foundationally, however, it remains that mankind is ultimately to blame for the majority of the evils of suffering and death, and, yes, even as Dave pointed out, diseases, be they transmitted sexually one to another, or in labs that brazenly release disease out into the world populations in the name of agendas they dare not admit in the open. All, however, will be revealed what was done in the dark!
These are profound statements of TRUTH. It comforts me to KNOW that everything done in the darkness will someday be brought to the light. This is one of my most comforting thoughts actually. It is what allows me FULL confidence that NO one gets away with ANYTHING. NO one FOOLS God... Isn't that AMAZING and MARVELOUS and so PERFECT???

Perhaps another perspective of this FALSE narrative that would dare question God's absolute BENEVOLENCE... are the Christian sects that have dared to pervert the TRUE GOSPEL with outright LIES regarding suffering. I blame false teaching for much of the damage done to Christianity. There has been mass mis-representation of the TRUE NATURE of GOD.

Those who dare say that Christ was actually RICH.... that God does NOT desire us to suffer or be sick...has led to an absolute LIE regarding WHAT WE ACTUALLY DESERVE. How BLESSED we are.... to be hearing these ABSOLUTE TRUTHS being embraced and honoured within the forums. THANK you for this MM. This is a topic that even I can understand and appreciate.

GOD allows suffering because suffering produces faith.

Is there anyone who doesn't love the things of this world, the mountains, rivers, deserts and sky?
Is there anyone who doesn't love fine food, good drink, and friendly company?
Is there anyone who doesn't love the feel of the air in the early spring morning or late summer evening?
I dare say no. Those who hate God, fail to see the beauty that is all around them. They cry out in their myopia, fixated upon their personal pain at the expense of infinite beauty. Don't judge them but rather pray for them, for they are lost.

Good morning, LearningToLetGo;

Is there a reason you posted this? It didn't seem to flow with the verb of this topic.

Regardless, your post got my attention. My response to your post is yes to everything you asked. Those who love God, first, see the beauty that is all around them. My wife and I were discussing this exact topic early this morning and felt it is directed at Christians. Many, but not most Christians have a chronic illness for bemoaning, belaboring, combativeness all leading to harm.

Sadly, there is a large number of Christians in the millions who suffer from sadness from their surroundings that can lead to depression. There is a diminished hope and even the Scriptures may fall short. Sadness or depression is painful physically and spiritually. When we read about some of God's servants in the Old and New Testaments suffered sadness, possibly depression. Heman son of Korah feels God abandoned him in Psalm 88. Jeremiah, David, Job, John the Baptist and Peter. But as we read through these books sadness or depression could not thwart God's plans for His servants. This includes us today because God never changes.

We agree with your statement of not judging them but rather pray for them, because they are lost, indeed. Why? We surrender to God by praying for others sincerely and incessantly. We release the weight of taking ownership on the problem of harm.

She and I are capable of being happy most of the time and getting along with all people. Sure, we get hit with uncontrollable problems, relational people issues that suddenly arise with our closest loved ones. But we take a step back and look to God first, asking Him to control our tongue and hearts. We can think reasonably and ask, ok, it is what it is, but where do we go from here? God always guides our direction.

Last month we decided to drive from home California up to Southern Washington for a visit. It would have been very easy to dwell on (what the guy said on media radio,) or life while driving 12 long hours. Instead we enjoyed the beauty of Oregon and Washington. God's Creation exists so we can enjoy it. It allowed us to let go and that long drive gave us the opportunity to enjoy conversation.

After that nice getaway we came home feeling refreshed while getting back to the responsibilities waiting for us.

We don't really think about this very much but we are grateful and thankful that others are praying for us.

God bless
you, brother.

Bob

A prime item that goes hand-in-hand with the problem of harm and mankind's own responsibility for much of the harm and suffering in the world is the problem of Hell and judgment, along with the result of each one's own choice in this life:

Back