Not So Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Not So Cheesy Mac n Cheese

I have a little macaroni and cheese issue; so far the recipes I've tried for hommade, baked mac n cheese look great until it's put in the oven. But the time it's done the texture is different in that it's NOT creamy but seems dry to maybe even crumbly. We're not getting that gooey, saucy mac n cheese. What do I do, does anyone know?
:confused:

Hi Cheri, does your recipe call for evaporated milk? I always add milk to mine.

Here's my favorite recipe:

1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
2 eggs
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), melted
2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, mustard, seasoned salt and pepper until combined. Stir in the process cheese and 1-1/2 cups of each cheddar cheese.

Drain macaroni; stir into cheese mixture. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.

In agreement with Cheri for Sheri - in addition:

Since you're new here, I'd like to mention that I was classically trained as a sous chef in the late 1950's and early 60's, allthough I have never worked commercially as a chef, I still remember the training.

In order to keep the top layer of fresh grated cheddar cheese from drying out in the oven, some type of moisture has to be added to the casserole dish so as it heats, the steam from the liquid rises to the top and keeps the top layer from forming a brownish crust. Using a 2 quart baking dish, one of the better things you can do to accomplish that steaming is to pour over 1/4 cup of 1 percent milk into the dish just before you pop it in the oven. You can also add dolops of your favorite Margarine or Butter as well to the top layer, so as it melts, it coats the top layer of cheese with a thin butterfat layer which also keeps it from getting over-done. I always layer in 1/3 cup of finely diced yellow onion in the Mac and the Cheese layers because this not only adds a nice flavor, but the moisture in the onions also helps to keep the top layer from overly browning. Also, a 325 to 350 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes is more than enough to get the texture just right.

See if that works out for you...

Thank you both so much for replying! I want to get this right and I certainly want to try again. When I do I will post how it comes out!

Back