Melchisedec and Hebrews 7

DavyP

Account Closed
Firstly, I believe Apostle Paul is who wrote the Book of Hebrews, so that's why you'll read my writing with referencing Paul as the author. There are scholarly suggestions for this which I won't go into. I believe they are correct.

Hebrews 7 is actually pointing to our Lord Jesus Christ in Old Testament times as Melchisedec who met Abraham. One simply must pay attention when reading Hebrews 7 that points this out.

Heb 7:1-14
1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

Right there in red are direct references to the divinity of God The Son. The only one born in the flesh that eternally had neither beginning nor end of days is our Lord Jesus Christ, one Person in The Godhead of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And even that idea, "abideth a priest continually" is only about Lord Jesus Christ, and is a reference to the later Hebrews 7:17 verse, which is a direct quote from the Psalms 110:4 verse about Christ being forever a priest after the order of Melchizedek. And by the way, the definition of the title 'Melchizedek' is 'King of Righteousness'. There's only One of those, Jesus Christ.

4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them,
of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

Paul is giving us how great this Melchisedec was that Abraham tithed to. And that happened even before the sons of Levi were even born! the law hadn't even been given through Moses yet when Abraham did that! Moses wasn't even born yet then! So what gives with this Melchisedec and Abraham giving tithes to him? Even more so, why would The Father point to Lord Jesus in Psalms 110:4 about being a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek, if Melchizedek were just some flesh king back in Abraham's day?

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

For He of Whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
KJV

Just Who Paul was talking about all along from verse 1 he reveals in that Hebrews 7:13-14 Scripture in red above. He was pointing to Lord Jesus Christ all along as Melchisedec Who met Abraham in Old Testament times, and offered Abraham "bread and wine" and blessed him. And at the end of John 8, Lord Jesus revealed that He spoke to Abraham back in Abraham's day, saying that Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and was glad.

Per Romans 4 and Galatians 3, Apostle Paul revealed that The Gospel of Jesus Christ was first preached to Abraham. And Abraham believed God, and his Faith was counted as righteousness. And thus those of Faith have become the 'children of Abraham', that is what Paul said. The Promise by Faith given first to Abraham from God is about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. And God gave that Promise by Faith 430 years before He gave the law through Moses. Thus no one can try to say The Gospel Salvation is about keeping the law, but only by Faith on the Blood of Jesus Christ, and not of works.

Why Melchizedek then? Because Jesus Christ has always... been our King, eternally. This is why this Hebrews 7 chapter starts out declaring Melchisedec without beginning or end of days, without mother or father. It is pointing to Christ Jesus, even though Jesus wasn't born through woman yet.

It is difficult for me understand how someone can claim Jesus of Nazareth as The Christ, and believe He has not always been Eternally part of The Godhead, but only manifested when He was born in the flesh through Mary.

Warning To Brethren:

This matter about Lord Jesus Christ being the Melchizedek in Genesis that met Abraham and blessed him, and offered Abraham "bread and wine", is a threat to orthodox Judaism. They instead always say that Melchizedek was a flesh king in Abraham's time, and not our Lord Jesus back in OT times.

One of the main reasons this idea is a threat to Judaism, is because it declares how even back in the law of Moses (Genesis is one of the Books they call the law), that The Gospel was known by Abraham, and that Jesus was there to preach it to him.

In the below Scripture, Lord Jesus was conversing with the scribes and Pharisees who sought to find something to convict Him with so as to execute Him.

John 8:54-59
54 Jesus answered, "If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing: it is My Father That honoureth Me; of Whom ye say, that He is your God:

55 Yet ye have not known Him; but I know Him: and if I should say, I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him, and keep His saying.

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

The name 'I AM THAT I AM' is one of GOD's names. Jesus emphatically called Himself GOD there, and that is why they sought to stone Him right then. By that Lord Jesus showed that He existed at the time of Abraham, and spoke with Abraham. And Lord Jesus had not even been born yet in the flesh, yet He existed then, because He is Eternal with The Father, as written, not His flesh was eternal, but His Spirit.

So who can say Jesus did not exist back in Old Testament times without the need for a flesh human body??? Who would push such a false idea? The unbelieving Jews who follow Judaism would. That is why Judaism denies that Melchizedek was anyone else other than Jesus Christ.

Warning To Brethren:

This matter about Lord Jesus Christ being the Melchizedek in Genesis that met Abraham and blessed him, and offered Abraham "bread and wine", is a threat to orthodox Judaism. They instead always say that Melchizedek was a flesh king in Abraham's time, and not our Lord Jesus back in OT times.

One of the main reasons this idea is a threat to Judaism, is because it declares how even back in the law of Moses (Genesis is one of the Books they call the law), that The Gospel was known by Abraham, and that Jesus was there to preach it to him.

In the below Scripture, Lord Jesus was conversing with the scribes and Pharisees who sought to find something to convict Him with so as to execute Him.

John 8:54-59
54 Jesus answered, "If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing: it is My Father That honoureth Me; of Whom ye say, that He is your God:

55 Yet ye have not known Him; but I know Him: and if I should say, I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him, and keep His saying.

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

The name 'I AM THAT I AM' is one of GOD's names. Jesus emphatically called Himself GOD there, and that is why they sought to stone Him right then. By that Lord Jesus showed that He existed at the time of Abraham, and spoke with Abraham. And Lord Jesus had not even been born yet in the flesh, yet He existed then, because He is Eternal with The Father, as written, not His flesh was eternal, but His Spirit.

So who can say Jesus did not exist back in Old Testament times without the need for a flesh human body??? Who would push such a false idea? The unbelieving Jews who follow Judaism would. That is why Judaism denies that Melchizedek was anyone else other than Jesus Christ.

That is just ONE of the many problems that the Jews have.

Jesus must have had a physical body after the resurrection.

John 20:27
Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands, reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Don't be unbelieving but believing."

Do you include their belief in a fleshy resurrection?
I do not know what the Jews think.

I however know that Jesus was raised from the dead and was then given a glorified body. He was then fully man and fully God in a glorified body and as such is the only one in heaven.

Jesus' flesh body was made "a quickening spirit" according to Apostle Paul (1 Corinthians 15:44-47).

Davy......this is becoming a rather disturbing debate.

Did Jesus walk, talk, eat and sleep in a human body on this earth/ That is a redundant question and we all know that the answer is YES!

Allow me to do some Christian teaching 101...........

That being the case which is the basis for the Christian faith, then you must know that The Bible is clear that Jesus’ body was resurrected. The tomb was empty. The BODY, the fleshly, body was gone! He was recognizable to those who knew Him. Jesus showed Himself to all His disciples after His resurrection, and more than five hundred people were eyewitnesses to His earthly, post-resurrection presence.

Christ makes it plain to His disciples that He does have a physical body; He is not a disembodied spirit: “See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have” (Luke 24:39).

It seems as if there are some here who do not know that presently, in heaven, Jesus is a man though in a glorified body.

He is both divine and human in nature at the same time (Col. 2:9); He is both God and man, right now. Furthermore, Jesus’ humanity now is important for two reasons.
First, this is what the Bible teaches. Second, as a man, Jesus is a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
Second, As a priest, He forever intercedes for us.

BIBLICALLY we see in Hebrews 6:20............
“Where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek,”.
That does NOT say that Jesus is or was Melchizedek but in the "ORDER" of.

2. Hebrews &:25.........
“Hence, also, He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them,”.

In order to be a priest, Jesus has to be a man. A spirit cannot be a priest after the order of Melchizedek, and if Jesus is not a man now, He could not hold His priesthood, and He could not be forever interceding for us. Therefore, to deny Jesus’ present humanity is to deny His priesthood and His intercession on our behalf. Without His intercession, we are lost.

Jesus rose from the dead physically
. The Bible teaches us that Jesus rose from the dead. Unfortunately, some Christians are not aware that Jesus actually rose from the dead in the same body in which He died though it was a glorified body hence then the wrong and improper teachings we see here.

Jesus’ resurrected body was a glorified body. Jesus rose from the dead physically in the same body in which He died.

Jesus is a man in a glorified body. We have already seen that Jesus was raised from the dead in the same body in which He died, but that body is a resurrected body. However, some people believe that at Jesus’ ascension, He was somehow changed, and His physical body was no longer needed and now he is a disembodied spirit. Now PAY ATTENTION....
But, this is not what the Bible teaches. There is no place where it states that Jesus stopped being a man.

Jesus' flesh body was made "a quickening spirit" according to Apostle Paul (1 Corinthians 15:44-47).

Your opinions on this Scripture are incorrect and now that you posted your opinions allow me to speak to those who read your opinions and give the correct exegesis. I know you will agree that we do not what anyone to be misled.

The “spiritual” is the product of Jesus Christ, a glorified body like the resurrected Lord Jesus’ body. That is the same body we as believers will have at either death or the Rapture. We must have a glorified body in order to stand in the presence of a prtfect God.

The natural generations who follow Adam will die twice, once physically and once eternally; the generations who follow Christ are spiritual and will die once but not twice. If you are born once, you will die twice. If you are born twice, you will die once. Some Christians will never die even once since the Lord may come and take them before they die. If you possess these truths, it will bless your soul.

So now allow me to go on to Christianity 101 for all.........
In the text you used to support a non-existant theory, we see in 15:47

"The first man was of the earth, made of dust;"

Here Paul describes two representative men, the heads of two peoples –
naturally born people and supernaturally born people.
There are TWO kinds of people ..........
1. The lost....natural
2. The Saved.....Born again spiritually.

God constituted Adam for this earth – he is earthbound.

The second Man is the Lord from heaven.

Paul saw the resurrected Christ “from heaven” on the Damascus road. Jesus will come again from heaven exactly as He was seen going to heaven.

So then, what have we learned????????

Our earthly body is a precursor to our future body.

How does that apply to you and me today???????

We have a wonderful body now, but it is but the precursor to the one we will get in glory. As we go through life, disease, or accidents occur. We may lose the use of a hand. The glorious hope of the child of God is that he or she will receive a body not subject to accident or decay. I would not want to miss this for anything.

Now, please understand this Bible fact----Non-Christians will receive a resurrection body but not a glorified one.

Back