Staff member
Senior Moderator
AND only 200 calories per cup!

Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon and Onion

1 recipe Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

Follow the recipe for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese using Vermont white cheddar.

Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add onions and thyme; saute until soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir bacon and onions into macaroni. Serve hot.

(Continuous - creamy macaroni cheese)

1 tablespoon salt
1 pound elbow, shell or other bite-size shaped pasta
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 cup low fat chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large soup kettle. Add salt and pasta. Using package directions as a guide, cook until al dente. Drain. To prevent sticking, drain and immediately pour onto a large lipped baking sheet and let cool while preparing sauce.

Meanwhile, microwave the milk and chicken broth in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy (not boiling). Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard, Parmesan and pepper. Turn off heat, stir in cheddar until melted.

Add drained pasta (and optional flavoring ingredients, see notes) to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat. Stir to heat through, and thin with a little water if the sauce is too thick. Serve hot.

10377253_10152285250286887_6550313767941685161_n.jpg

My friend, he was over last night and he didn't like the texture of onions. But, if you're like me, I don't mind onions mixed in with stuff. I absolutely loved it. But, if you don't want as many onions, just get one large onion. :)

When it comes to onions I'm a little weird about it. I like onion rings in burgers, but I don't like diced onions in burgers. In burritos I like it minced, but not diced. With country potatoes I don't like onions at all, unless it's onion powder. I like diced onions in my guacamole, but not in my salsa. However, if you turn the salsa into a ranchero sauce, then I like the diced onions in it, but only if it's been sautéed.

Back