Luke Chapter 7 Questions [Q&A] & Did You Notice?

A CENTURION’S FAITH
7 – God’s Purpose

PREPARE TO MEET GOD

Times of sickness and trials are when people most often reach out to God (v. 2). What tends to motivate you to seek Jesus?

Do you feel entitled for God to bless you and answer your prayers, or are you keenly aware of your unworthiness to expect anything from God (v. 6)?

How is your faith causing others to be blessed (vv. 9–10)?

Jesus surprised even the one sent to prepare his way (vv. 18–23). Does God ever act in ways that surprise or trouble you?

How genuinely grateful are you for what God has done for you (vv. 36–50)?

If God gives to you according to your faith, what might you expect to receive (v. 50)?

Going to be lovely to hear some answers.

DID YOU NOTICE?

The centurion would have been a Gentile, yet he valued his servant, who may have
been Jewish, and went to great lengths on his behalf (v. 2).

A person of authority should be quick to recognize and yield to someone of greater authority (v. 8).

For a widow to lose her only son would be devastating (v. 12). Women did not typically work, and they depended on their husbands or family to care for them in their old age. By raising the boy back to life, Jesus was saving the woman from destitution as well as loneliness.

Having been imprisoned by the wicked King Herod, John may have wondered why Jesus had not yet launched his kingdom and addressed societal wrongs such as John’s imprisonment (vv. 18–19). A word from Jesus helped John view his circumstances from God’s perspective.

Wisdom is not proven by what people say but by what happens when people put into practice what was said (v. 35).

When you see your sin clearly, you will come to appreciate your Savior greatly (vv. 36–50). Letting down a woman’s hair was seen as scandalous. Kissing someone’s feet was an extreme example of humble gratitude (see Mk 14:3; Jn 12:3).

Times of sickness and trials are when people most often reach out to God (v. 2). What tends to motivate you to seek Jesus?

Jesus came to me as if by accident. He showed me my hubris and arrogance. He broke me on his rock and showed me that all my efforts were for naught. Only afterward did I seek Jesus by name. I asked him one thing, to know the purpose of my life. His answer came quickly, "to love."

Love sounds simple but it is the hardest task because to love requires a forfeiture of self. To love means to raise another above and lower oneself below. Love is the opposite of ego and of pride and of all things worldly.

Jesus surprised even the one sent to prepare his way (vv. 18–23). Does God ever act in ways that surprise or trouble you?

Indeed He does. I'm sometimes suprised to find He still loves me after all I have done.
No one else can do that I have ever noticed. Not even me. His Nature is beyond compare. There is No One like Him. And, when I come across verses that have already been written, that confirms my conclusions like Jeremiah 10;6 There is none like YOU oh LORD, I Feel so grateful I know Him.

Love sounds simple but it is the hardest task because to love requires a forfeiture of self.
I cant give up my self. I've tried. Tried umpteen ways, and I only notice the gone-ness when i've returned. usually after being really absorbed in something or other. And It's usually pretty miserable in here a lot of the time on return but when I'm covered by God it feels like what I imagine heaven to be like. But I still class myself as a teenager in christ so I probably have some way to go before I start to properly love others.

I cant give up my self. I've tried. Tried umpteen ways, and I only notice the gone-ness when i've returned. usually after being really absorbed in something or other. And It's usually pretty miserable in here a lot of the time on return but when I'm covered by God it feels like what I imagine heaven to be like. But I still class myself as a teenager in christ so I probably have some way to go before I start to properly love others.
That's touching. Thank you. 🙏 All I can add is those who least deserve love are the ones who need it most.

That's touching. Thank you. 🙏 All I can add is those who least deserve love are the ones who need it most.
Sorry yes I meant to add myself in there at the end too but yeh your right…but I practice daily… I’m getting there, I feel a lot less miserable at times. It goes up and down. I have hope and then it goes for a while… kinda like the weather.

God bless you

Back