Is Jealousy The Greatest Sin?

Yeah, but the seven deadly sins thing. The seven most dangerous. Is that concept for all Christian religions?

LOVE GOD WITH YOUR ALL .. TO GAIN SALVATION
(Jesus said that was correct)
what is ALL ???
having a heart that is the same as it was before ???
not hardly ..

LOVE GOD WITH YOUR ALL .. TO GAIN SALVATION
(Jesus said that was correct)
what is ALL ???
having a heart that is the same as it was before ???
not hardly ..

All, I mean all Christian religions, and not just Catholicism. Because they say that there are those 7 deadly sins which are the most dangerous ones. And they are lust, wrath, gluttony (gluttony makes sense because you can get your stomach hurt or you gain weight and eventually get sick), envy, greediness, vanity, and sloth.

why do you make a distinction between Catholicism ???
there is none ..
they may point to those 7 enumerated in the OT, but 1 sin is just as "deadly" as another ..
but hey .. we have an option given us .. it is called "having a change of heart"
(aka repentance) ..

I have seen WAY TOO MANY who profess Christ without a change of heart ..
and He will reply to those "I never knew you" ..
aka He is calling you on A FALSE LOVE ..

All, I mean all Christian religions, and not just Catholicism. Because they say that there are those 7 deadly sins which are the most dangerous ones. And they are lust, wrath, gluttony (gluttony makes sense because you can get your stomach hurt or you gain weight and eventually get sick), envy, greediness, vanity, and sloth.

Scripture does not mention those seven as the 'seven deadly sins' per sae. It is linked to the work of a monk 'Evagrius Ponticus' who listed eight deadly sins and then in AD 590 Pope Gregory summarised the list to seven.

Whilst Ixoye is correct that all sin is deadly. We cannot be harsh on Catholics for distinguishing between mortal (grave) and venial sins due to scripture like Prov 6:16-19; Gal 5:19-21 and 2 Cor 3:18.

There is definitely a mutual agreement among Christians that someone who continues in a mortal sin will not be in heaven. As it is seen as a clear case of living after the flesh Rom 8:13. One cannot be saved and do such (OSAS) or stay saved and do such (Arminian).

It is wise to be mindful of those seven cardinal sins due to scripture like 1 Cor 11:31 and Phil 2:12.

Last edited:
Love is the greatest commandment. Divine love is the cure for jealousy. Does this make jealousy the greatest sin? Note: the results of jealousy are theft, hatred, anger, malice and ultimately murder. You can see how Cain killed his brother, Abel out of jealousy. Genesis 4 :4-8

Read more here: http://jimakanbi.blogspot.com/2013/06/jealousy-attribute-which-is-silent.html
I see pride as the root of jealousy and all those other sins. The 'greatest sin' is surely the unpardonable sin? Mark 3:28-29.

Last edited:
I knew you would not admit you were wrong ..
(which is saying you would rather others disbelieve God's word then admit it)
and I knew you would post ..
and I knew you would use blame transfer ..
and I know who dwells within you ..
and God will NOT as long as you do not sweep your house ..

I was wrong in your mind before you posted: and the scriptures in , is obviously true. I am many things, and have been worse: what I am not is a mind reader.
Of what are you accusing me? Where are your "...two witnesses or three..."? Does the Holy Spirit look for things with which to accuse the Brethren? Is that not the work of satan?

I was wrong in your mind before you posted: and the scriptures in , is obviously true. I am many things, and have been worse: what I am not is a mind reader.
Of what are you accusing me? Where are your "...two witnesses or three..."? Does the Holy Spirit look for things with which to accuse the Brethren? Is that not the work of satan?

no .. you were wrong in your mind too .. you could and would not admit it ..
so you are also a witness to it .. as is God who gave me the discernment ..

you are now confusing "accuse" with "reproof" .. not the same thing ..
one is false, the other is true ..
not only that, you accuse me of accusing, when it is correction of behavior that I am pointing to for your sake ..

it most certainly is NOT the work of satan but of God ..
if I did not have love for you, I would let you fall in the pits dug by satan without trying to warn you ..

Jesus tells us ..
Luk 17:3 "Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

1Ti 5:20 Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.

2Ti 4:2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Psa 119:21 You rebuke the arrogant, the cursed, Who wander from Your commandments.
Pro 10:17 He is on the path of life who heeds instruction, But he who ignores reproof goes astray.
Pro 13:1 A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
Pro 15:31 He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof Will dwell among the wise.
Ecc 7:5 It is better to listen to the rebuke of a wise man Than for one to listen to the song of fools.

no .. you were wrong in your mind too ..

"...you were wrong in your mind too..."

You just confessed that you were wrong...but you couldn't do it unless you accused someone else of being wrong!
You should really get your scriptures straight (in context).
"...if your Brother offend you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone...".
If I have offended you, I'm truly sorry: I only wish I knew how I offended you so that I may make a more formal apology: especially if I offended you in this forum.
You have not offended me, Beloved. But you really should pray and make sure that it is the Holy Spirit that is leading you. Discernment is first applied to oneself: I ask myself, is this of the Lord? Does it offer/give life, or is there an shadow of darkness in what I am thinking?
You wrote: "here is some wisdom...if YOU let go of your ego, then you do not have to worry about protecting it...".
You are saying that YOU have wisdom, and I don't. I can live with that.

the answer is "ego" ..
ego is the root of all evil ..

jealousy also stems from ego ..

if you read the OT, it says satan was created perfect, a cherub with the highest position of all the angels (Eze 28:14) ..
because of this, he corrupted (absolute power corrupts absolutely Eze 28:17) meaning, only God can maintain a perfect state without corrupting .. Eze 28:12-19

because of ego, humans without perfection will even corrupt/sin ..

Yeah I call it pride....the urge or belief one has a right and the power to be their own lord or god (Genesis 3:5) and to decide good and evil base on what is right in their own eyes...there are two kinds of jealousy one is okay and the other is not okay...the okay knows the evil hearts of those other so well they are jealous for their loved ones because the other is trying to steal them and put them in bondage (Our God is a jealous God)...the other believes it has a right or power to lord it over the object of their love or else is a form of coveteousness that believes it should have what someone else has (a desire is there to take it or get it thus again one exercising self lordship over the other)...ego (I, me) is the center of the Universe...in the first case the betterment and concern for the loved takes precedence over self...

Back