How do I know if the Holy Spirit is within me?

the weirdest thing is this:

I actually made a promise NOT to carry on the same sin, and woe betide me, I DID!

Thats how strong sin is in me and thats how I know for sure I am still a sinner.

When I was in bible class last week, my teacher (who is 97years old and going strong😁) said he met a lady who said she didn't need to become a christian as she was a good enough person already!

He told her that we are all sinners and it has nothing to do with how good we are.She didn't believe him. One time I would have agreed with her but since I notice I just cannot stop sinning without His help I have realised the truth of this.
sent you p.m

Major,

I partially agree with what you say, but as I still sin☹️ I have not completely totally changed. I have asked The Lord to remove the sins I still struggle with, and maybe all in His good timing. Do you think the initial Salvation only removes the original sin (Not the catholic one, but rather the one that was causing us the most suffering first.) as this is what I am coming to believe happened at my Salvation. Like the sun does not just set and switches the light off. It takes time.
there will always be struggles/ sin that comes against you.. the mere fact you know you battle them and ask the Lord to remove them. shows the Holy Spirit active in your life . called the spirit of truth . honestly i know a lady that was raised catholic . she is saved and when you listen to her talk in sunday school class. you could still hear some of the old teaching come out. when we get saved God gives us the Holy Spirit. we learn as we go how to listen to the still small voice who tells us what is right what is wrong. we all have to grow in the grace and knowledge your not a perfect human being none of us are . i still have issues of my past i have to deal with .. just keep in the word and praying. when you sin ask God to forgive you .move on after you repented turn away from the sin they call it Grace

Hello Via and forgiven;

This is a good conversation that I can get into fellowship. You both present good points.

I agree with forgiven that struggles of battling sin will always come against the believer. Yet the Holy Spirit is active and will indwelt truth in our life especially when it exposes our sin or temptation to sin.

This morning I scheduled an early morning lab at the hospital but my order lab was not done by my doctor. The medical assistant apologized, I understood and left to go home. As I was driving home I was upset and wanted to scold my doctor but my spirit led me to exercise calm. So when I got home I emailed the doctor and a lab order was put in for me.

Via, I'm still processing my frustration and asked the Lord to remove this potential sin of cursing my doctor. My response to what you shared is when we ask God for help He will empower us to turn from the temptation to sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:9, 9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the heart of fools.

When we can process our God given empowerment and turn from sin, there is a spiritual maturity that grows and strengthens us, so the next time we can handle similar circumstances.

God bless everyone here.

actually made a promise NOT to carry on the same sin, and woe betide me, I DID!

Paul said: "I hate what I do and do what I hate" so we are in good company.
I have been free from one particular sin for months, and then 'boom'
so now this verse below makes so much sense.

1Peter 5:8 NLT.

8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith.

Hello Via and forgiven;

This is a good conversation that I can get into fellowship. You both present good points.

I agree with forgiven that struggles of battling sin will always come against the believer. Yet the Holy Spirit is active and will indwelt truth in our life especially when it exposes our sin or temptation to sin.

This morning I scheduled an early morning lab at the hospital but my order lab was not done by my doctor. The medical assistant apologized, I understood and left to go home. As I was driving home I was upset and wanted to scold my doctor but my spirit led me to exercise calm. So when I got home I emailed the doctor and a lab order was put in for me.

Via, I'm still processing my frustration and asked the Lord to remove this potential sin of cursing my doctor. My response to what you shared is when we ask God for help He will empower us to turn from the temptation to sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:9, 9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the heart of fools.

When we can process our God given empowerment and turn from sin, there is a spiritual maturity that grows and strengthens us, so the next time we can handle similar circumstances.

God bless everyone here.
When you say, repent and turn away from a sin. Is this ALWAYS possible? Or can there be sins that we have much difficulty with. And though we ask for forgiveness, we still do them, though we don't want to. Is this what Paul was talking about in Romans 7. Why did he say 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. Or is it an automatic turning away? It won't happen again? This does not sound like what Paul was saying. And this is not my experience, either.

When you say, repent and turn away from a sin. Is this ALWAYS possible? Or can there be sins that we have much difficulty with. And though we ask for forgiveness, we still do them, though we don't want to. Is this what Paul was talking about in Romans 7. Why did he say 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. Or is it an automatic turning away? It won't happen again? This does not sound like what Paul was saying. And this is not my experience, either.

Hello Lilly3570;

You make a great point, one that we can all relate to.

In my personal testimony and what I have shared with others, we all have our demons (sin) and mine took years to overcome. I also felt my sin was not possible to turn away because I didn't want let go of my sin. This is why it took years.

My repetitive sin caught up with me. It had all the dramatics of the Bible, my spirit was dimmed, my flesh stenched, my bones rotted and my mind became disarrayed.

Over time It became more difficult because it impacted my wife and others close to me. They all could see this. Only myself was I blinded.

In Romans 7:15 teaches us that even Paul was just a man. He acknowledged how much difficulty sin is to turn away, he wanted to turn from his sin, but he overlooked the empowerment from God that he could turn from his wicked ways.

God is faithful in our repentance and He opened Paul's eyes.

We all struggle with sin, along with the intense difficulty to turn from it. Our desire to repent from our sin should be just as intense of being released from it.

Our forgiveness from God and others for the most difficult sin isn't a band-aid application. God takes us through an eye opening and learning process before we are also healed from our trespasses. The empowerment I shared is our effort to stay far, far away from the temptation of regressing to our former sin.

I accept that I cannot be sinless the rest of my life because I may get mud on my shirt tomorrow or let down the guard of my heart and tongue. But we cannot undermine God's unlimited mercies, forgiveness and grace. For that we all should be thankful that we can get down on our knees anytime and confess, repent and boldly ask His forgiveness in Jesus Name.

I hope this helps a little, Lilly3570 and everyone by sharing my personal testimony.

God bless everyone and your families.

turn away from a sin. Is this ALWAYS possible?
yes and know jacob wrestled till he got what he wanted. sometimes yes we do have to wrestle something down . strong hold the weapons of OUR warfare . i call it having to pray through some will argue that all these strong holds are broke done deal. sometimes we have t stay on top of it.. i do you have to anticipate it i have to stay on guard the wrong thing can trigger a reaction. much like the alcoholic or drug addict . the flesh craves the flesh is weak but our spirit inside is willing to fight.. the old story you have 2 dogs that fights which one will win? the one you feed the best

We all struggle with sin, along with the intense difficulty to turn from it. Our desire to repent from our sin should be just as intense of being released from it.

this holds TRUE ONE thing we should remember.. Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, romans 5:20

You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Hi Big Moose.

The trouble with me(and this may well have to do with being more gullible or easily deceived more, AKA Eve deception) is I dont always know what true teachings are.
I have been tossed about from pillar to post to what is a true teaching. Sometimes I think I know what something means. questions come up like:

1) Is the prosperity gospel a true christian teaching? if not why not?. I haven't quite gotten an acceptable answer here. Praying for things out of greed may well be unacceptable for some people, but I also dont know what is in their hearts, and I also see some people who are ultra wealthy doing great things with their money and have a spirit of discernment. One of my favourite people happens to be a billionaire, (warren buffet) and I dont know if he set out to be rich but he showed interested in economics from an early age. He seemed to have the talent to spot things others could not and worked hard and so created his fortune. is this greed? I dont know.

2) is ALL sickness from sin? like if I get a toothache, is that always because I have eaten something bad. could it be that teeth naturally just dont last forever and will eventually fall out or rot.

As to what is right or wrong I thoroughly agree with. I do see how the Holy Spirit works in me to convict me.

That is the primary way I see Him work.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. And Please by all mean, if I have read you wrong to correct me.

Blessings, and Peace be with you.
Great questions. I know it is easy to get caught up with teachings or doctrines that sound good or match up with our personal worldview. The key is to immerse yourself in the Word of God. The more you know the Bible the easier it is to recognize wrong teaching. Now when I say "know the Bible", I don't mean memorize Bible passages. What I mean is to learn and take to heart the ideas and truisms in the Bible. Study the messages in the Bible. Your post brought to my mind 1 Thessalonians 5, and I'll run through a way to study this.
Chapter 5:
14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, >>being idle is bad, stay active in the things you should be doing. This is a way to study scripture. Understand what is directly said here, "admonish the idle". Then also look at the opposite or the inference of "encourage those who are getting things done or building things". Often the inference of what the opposite is, helps you understand the teaching or doctrine. Those who are prospering are probably those who refrain from idleness.
encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. >>Encourage, help those who need it and be patient. These could be the people who will be helping you next!
15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. >>Be good to each other and build each other up. Paybacks are not for us to worry about. God will repay. That is in Romans 12 I believe.
16 Rejoice always, >> How often is always? This is showing us what our attitude should be.
17 pray without ceasing, >>This is all about staying connected to God in the spirit. Again, how much is without ceasing?
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. >>Find something to be thankful about in all things. This is important as it says, "this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you".
19 Do not quench the Spirit. >>Let the Spirit flow through you and others, even if you don't understand it.
20 Do not despise prophecies, >>Be ready to listen to good preaching, spirit filled direction.
21 but test everything; hold fast what is good. >>Test everything to see if it fits with God's Word. This is your answer for you being led astray. Test it. Does it hold up to scripture? The other way to look at this is, don't believe or follow something that sounds good. Test it. Then hold on to what is good.
22 Abstain from every form of evil.>>Stay away from the evil junk. The inference here is to stick with the good things you proved were good by testing them. I hope this helps you.

God bless.

Faith!
Trust what God's Word says.
Learn to be obedient unto His leading.
What is His leading? I hear many Christians saying the spirit told me this or that, wile a fellow Christian will say the opposes but the spirit told them. Who is correct besides the obvious, the one you agree with :) The ego prompts some to say the spirit told them, this is suppose to be an affirmative that they are correct. I give you a new command, love one & other as I have loved you. How is this one going for you or us? This statement doesn't say anything about abolishing what was before it. If you love me keep my commandments Jn 14:15, the Holy spirit is given to those who obey Acts 5:32.

What is His leading? I hear many Christians saying the spirit told me this or that, wile a fellow Christian will say the opposes but the spirit told them. Who is correct besides the obvious, the one you agree with :) The ego prompts some to say the spirit told them, this is suppose to be an affirmative that they are correct.
Dear Rictch

You bring up a good point here.

There are many ways that the Holy Spirit works in the lives of individual Christians. However, trying to use it to influence, manage or manipulate another person is not one of them.

Proverbs 21:2
2 Every person’s way is right in his own eyes,
But the Lord examines the hearts.

What is His leading? I hear many Christians saying the spirit told me this or that, wile a fellow Christian will say the opposes but the spirit told them. Who is correct besides the obvious, the one you agree with :) The ego prompts some to say the spirit told them, this is suppose to be an affirmative that they are correct. I give you a new command, love one & other as I have loved you. How is this one going for you or us? This statement doesn't say anything about abolishing what was before it. If you love me keep my commandments Jn 14:15, the Holy spirit is given to those who obey Acts 5:32.
That is a tricky question to answer mainly because you have to wait to see the fruit from the workings. Since God works in mysterious ways, we can never be sure if someone else is being led by the Spirit or not, unless it is clearly against the Bible's teachings, such as blatant sinning or being a stumbling block for a brother or sister in the Lord. Even if I don't agree with their course of action, I try to give them leeway or even assistance as long as I don't see harm to others.
The Bible gives us plenty of examples of the Pharisees criticizing Jesus and the Disciples on following the "law". Jesus quite often had to teach the importance of following the spirit of the law and not necessarily the letter of the law, like doing work on the Sabbath.

That is a tricky question to answer mainly because you have to wait to see the fruit from the workings. Since God works in mysterious ways, we can never be sure if someone else is being led by the Spirit or not, unless it is clearly against the Bible's teachings, such as blatant sinning or being a stumbling block for a brother or sister in the Lord. Even if I don't agree with their course of action, I try to give them leeway or even assistance as long as I don't see harm to others.
The Bible gives us plenty of examples of the Pharisees criticizing Jesus and the Disciples on following the "law". Jesus quite often had to teach the importance of following the spirit of the law and not necessarily the letter of the law, like doing work on the Sabbath.
The Sanctification process is a life long process & we often fall back into the old man of ourselves, its a hard shackle to release. His promise is he will finish the work in us, if we allow. As for the Sabbath they sure made that which was supposed to be a blessing it a burden, for memory they added around 350 regulations to it hahaha! God bless

As a Christian how do we know that the Holy Spirit is living in us?
For me it's a feeling of being indwelt,as scripture tells us occurs when we are in Christ.
Sometimes it's that little voice of intuition that guides my words to others or foresight, or thoughts.
And at times I am put in the right place at the right time to help someone.

It's difficult to describe in words when it's a feeling that I am not alone but am full. If that makes sense.😊

For me it's a feeling of being indwelt,as scripture tells us occurs when we are in Christ.
Sometimes it's that little voice of intuition that guides my words to others or foresight, or thoughts.

It's difficult to describe in words when it's a feeling that I am not alone but am full. If that makes sense.😊

Hello Damascus;

My wife and I have been married for 37 years. I heard of her female intuition and her my gut feeling, but we never put alot of stock in it.

But as the years went by, we also grew in our walk with Jesus and each other.
I began to feel more and more of her intuition as spiritual and in many circumstances she has been right, not every time but enough to say Wow! The same goes for her but she will ask me more what does Scripture say regarding our personal agendas, prayers, plans and how would we apply each one?

My prompting of the spirit may not always be the correct either but overall we feel this is good to discuss, pray and ask what God says, wait quietly knowing He always goes ahead of us.

We also have seen the balance between us, when she is right and I am wrong. 😎 lol! Balance!

God bless you, Damascus and your whole family.

Hello Damascus;

My wife and I have been married for 37 years. I heard of her female intuition and her my gut feeling, but we never put alot of stock in it.

But as the years went by, we also grew in our walk with Jesus and each other.
I began to feel more and more of her intuition as spiritual and in many circumstances she has been right, not every time but enough to say Wow! The same goes for her but she will ask me more what does Scripture say regarding our personal agendas, prayers, plans and how would we apply each one?

My prompting of the spirit may not always be the correct either but overall we feel this is good to discuss, pray and ask what God says, wait quietly knowing He always goes ahead of us.

We also have seen the balance between us, when she is right and I am wrong. 😎 lol! Balance!

God bless you, Damascus and your whole family.
Well said. And may the same blessings surround you and yours.🙏🕊️

For those times I knew it was the Spirit leading for sure, there was this insistence within me to do or volunteer for something that I knew for myself, I would never do or volunteer for if it was up to me. One of these was to sing solo in front of the church service. I, myself, had no desire to do that. So I knew it was the Spirit leading me.

Back