Hackers can now steal data via electrical outlet

Discussion in 'News and Articles' started by Dusty, Jul 15, 2009.

1. I think its nice that hackers can openly hold a public conference to brag about their efforts to complicate or even ruin peoples lives on a whim. I look forward to reading about the NBCTA's (National Burglary and Car Theft Association) annual convention. this year. I hear I could be hosting it at my house while I'm on vacation. :rolleyes:
    Honestly, it is nice to know that there is a way to stay up to date on what hacking techniques are being introduced, from the horse's mouth, before it becomes common practice. It seems a little lopsided that these guys are holding conferences while I can't even type the the intro lyrics to the golden oldie, "Blue Moon", in my search bar without feeling like the NSA's gonna show upon my front door step with a search and seizure warrant before I even click "search."

2. Hmmm, that's actually pretty clever.
    I hadn't thought about the IO cables being unshielded. This is basically turning the outlet into a sensitive metal detector/ohm meter. Then analyzing the signal strength with data conversion software.

Not bad, but I know a better way and this method wouldn't work on laptops unless an external keyboard was attached.

3. So I would have been better to stay with dialup instead of cable ? Yes ? No ?

4. No.

Dial up is EVIL!

5. intresting

6. Well I have to admit . It was a pain as I was always getting cut off. and when there was spomething wrong with my phone it reflected in the computer.