Habitat for Humanity

What was the potter's field?
I mean...was it an old quarry...? Anyway it wasn't to build houses on it was to bury the dead!

As for Anais and Saphirra they weren't buying they were selling, but they actually kept some of it back.
I never mentioned "Potter's Field", that was rtm3039 .
As for Annanias and Sapphira, since they are selling then someone is buying. (well, their case is a 'divine' exception).

I don't think it's that healthy to live in a garage, because a car could drive in any moment. And I don't think the ventilation is very good (carbon monoxide fumes? petrol/gas fumes?) unless your car is electric....

It would be like living in a stable in the olden days. Well Jesus was born in one. Possibly very smelly!
Ok, they converted the garage into a small apartment. The garage door was replaced with a wall, it has A/C, bathroom, small kitchen, etc.

Rtm

What was the potter's field?
I mean...was it an old quarry...? Anyway it wasn't to build houses on it was to bury the dead!

As for Anais and Saphirra they weren't buying they were selling, but they actually kept some of it back.
Not sure that matters. The fact is that people did sell land back in Jesus' time. Uf someone sold, then someone purchased.

Rtm

yes but I am going back to the OT when the land of Canaan was given to the Israelites. And their descendants actually inherited it, they did not have to buy any land.

If Anaias and Saphirra were selling land, it would have been to non-Israelites. Because that land was already theirs.
Do you understand what I mean?

If you are born in a native land, you don't have to BUY the land under your feet. It belongs to you by birthright.

The Israelites did not have to go to the Canaanites and give them money to buy their land. In the Bible, God gave that land (or promised it) to the Israelites after the Canaanites sin had become full, and He was going to drive them out so the Israelites could have it as a possession in perpetuity. That's what the initial covenant was about.

The Israelites did not have to purchase any land that God had given them.

Personally, I think it would have been easier if God had given the Israelites a land that was not already inhabited....! OR He had converted the Canaanites, but it seemed like they were not going to be converted and had committed abominations on it.

The land was pretty good though, if you look at Israel( Palestine) on the map, its small, but it is quite a good spot because it's like the centre of three continents (asia, europe and africa) it has access to sea, it has some mountains but a lot of it is fertile valleys, fed by rivers, and the climate is warm but not too hot, and not too cold and rainy.

I mean what more could you ask for? It wasn't a huge swamp, or frozen, or a complete desert like some parts of the world are.

I don't think it's that healthy to live in a garage, because a car could drive in any moment. And I don't think the ventilation is very good (carbon monoxide fumes? petrol/gas fumes?) unless your car is electric....

It would be like living in a stable in the olden days. Well Jesus was born in one. Possibly very smelly!

Ok, they converted the garage into a small apartment. The garage door was replaced with a wall, it has A/C, bathroom, small kitchen, etc.

Rtm

Yes, what Ray shared I also have heard how a garage is converted into an apartment with carpeting, bathroom, small kitchen, kind of like a "flat" and they actually are nice, clean and safe.

I also thought of an "in-law" - a two story home but the downstairs is a separate apartment.

In the US more families are living together for financial, or adult children continue living with their parents, but I also know families find this nice that everyone enjoys living together in these times because it's a nice feel of everyone remaining bonded.

California is hard for young adults who graduate from college, get a job and still cannot come up with the down payment for a 800k up to a million dollar home.

I think ppl are expecting too much $$ for a home.
Nothing wrong with living with your parents.

But your parents may not want to live with you!
In NZ what is usually done is the house is extended, or a sleep out is built for teenagers. Because teens are noisy and need their own space.
When they go to uni, or college as it's called, most often they may live on campus for the time they are studying. Some can have student allowances or accomodations supplements for this.

But if parents are expecting graduates to IMMEDIATELY get a job, and be able to afford a separate house, they have another think coming.

Most workplaces these days are not willing to provide accomodation for their workers!

Last edited:
I think only one job I ever did that actually gave me accomodation, and that was when I worked on organic farms. They didn't pay you, but you had free food and board.

If you work on a movie set, they do provide trailers and maybe hotels if you are on location. And if you own your own business, eg a bed and breakfast - your home IS your business. I once worked at a vet and the vet lived on the premises at the back of the clinic. The house was large enough.

I suppose if you worked at a boarding school or a university, you would also have accomodation, and I know that nurses used to have hostels at the hospital. There are always beds at hospital of course!
Those in the armed forces also have army barracks. But everyone else, you are on your own. My brother, who is a surgeon, has to find his own rental accomodation if he's working at a hospital outside of his home town. They don't provide doctors with any.

And no, librarians do not live in the library, despite what some of my children think. They see the cushions and throws on the sofa and think I sleep there...

If you do get the top job (POTUS) you do get to live in the White House for the time you are in office....

The powers that be may think it's unreasonable to commute from home to Washington DC everyday. Makes sense? So why not workers accomodations for the rest of the population? Instead what happens is, people waste up to 2 hours every day commuting back and forth from their homes to work. Or your jobs are restricted to the local area where your home is.

In cities, it's mostly decided that apartments are homes to workers in the cities, but the problem is when they are not rent controlled.
I know in some cities where the workers cannot afford to live in the city they work in, and must reside in another town and commute, since the rents are sky high.

I think ppl are expecting too much $$ for a home. Nothing wrong with living with your parents. But your parents may not want to live with you!
In NZ what is usually done is the house is extended, or a sleep out is built for teenagers. Because teens are noisy and need their own space.
When they go to uni, or college as it's called, most often they may live on campus for the time they are studying. Some can have student allowances or accomodations supplements for this.
But if parents are expecting graduates to IMMEDIATELY get a job, and be able to afford a separate house, they have another think coming.
Most workplaces these days are not willing to provide accomodation for their workers!

Lanolin,

I have to agree with you, the parents may not want to live with you! But for me it was a different time. When I moved out of my parent's home, moved back in and then moved out, then moved back home. My Mom told me if I moved out again it was my 3rd strike because I was still depending on them and wasn't learning from my setbacks.

My Mom told me she did her job raising her kids and did not want me moving back home even the first time I moved out. Whether she was right or wrong it was how she felt.

I ended up moving out the 3rd time for good. I got a job which afforded me to move in my own apartment. I had to manage everything on my own and it was the best thing I could do.

Lanolin,

I have to agree with you, the parents may not want to live with you! But for me it was a different time. When I moved out of my parent's home, moved back in and then moved out, then moved back home. My Mom told me if I moved out again it was my 3rd strike because I was still depending on them and wasn't learning from my setbacks.

My Mom told me she did her job raising her kids and did not want me moving back home even the first time I moved out. Whether she was right or wrong it was how she felt.

I ended up moving out the 3rd time for good. I got a job which afforded me to move in my own apartment. I had to manage everything on my own and it was the best thing I could do.
I guess I had it easier than most, as I enlisted in the Army at 18.

Back then, I believe the pay for a private was around $419 a month (but it included free meals. medical, and uniforms). When I first moved "on my own," it was with two other buddies and we rented a three bed-room trailer. My bedroom was so small, there was no room between the side of the bed and the closet door for me to stand up. I had to stand (or sit) on top of the bed to open the closet and pull stuff out.

Out of five kids, all but one has come back home. The record is the oldest daughter who has done it at least four times. The youngest got married early, so she never had to come back.

Sometimes you get a free uniform, but you might still need to buy your own shoes (expensive).
Not many workplaces have free meals, (unless you work in a restaurant) but it was only this year that schools are actually providing free lunch!
I don't recall having much free medical, except for eye checks and mole checks and hearing tests. Oh and vaccinations.

I would love it if we could get free dental.

Workers got the worst deal as they got the least pay, you could only ever afford everything if you were like the boss/manager. Workers still had to pay for parking but often the manager got it free.

My mum begged me to come back, I didn't really want to...but here I am. Then she gave me a hard time when I was at home, but tough. She has to live with me now lol.

There are no apartment buildings in the suburbs, but there are a few in the city, but since I no longer work in the city, I don't see any point in living there as well. I think if I still had my job in the city, maybe I would have lived in an apartment, but back then, there were hardly any and they were the size of shoeboxes.

I hated commuting to the city what a waste of time. The bus would take maybe 45 minutes on a good day. I just remember being hungry and tired by the time I got home and no energy to cook anything. I think I had headaches all the time and when I got home all I would do is sleep. (if I wasn't asleep on the bus). You only got a cup of tea unless it was a special staff morning tea, but that wasn't really put on either everyone had to bring and share.

Most people just bought in leftovers and heated them up in the microwave, though some workplaces did have a staff cafeteria, but you had to buy your own. After paying for transport and food and clothes there would be hardly any left to spend on rent.

I think only one job I ever did that actually gave me accomodation, and that was when I worked on organic farms. They didn't pay you, but you had free food and board.

If you work on a movie set, they do provide trailers and maybe hotels if you are on location. And if you own your own business, eg a bed and breakfast - your home IS your business. I once worked at a vet and the vet lived on the premises at the back of the clinic. The house was large enough.

I suppose if you worked at a boarding school or a university, you would also have accomodation, and I know that nurses used to have hostels at the hospital. There are always beds at hospital of course!
Those in the armed forces also have army barracks. But everyone else, you are on your own. My brother, who is a surgeon, has to find his own rental accomodation if he's working at a hospital outside of his home town. They don't provide doctors with any.

And no, librarians do not live in the library, despite what some of my children think. They see the cushions and throws on the sofa and think I sleep there...

not everyone will share their houses with others, because not everyone is trustworthy, which is a shame, because im sure there is lots of empty homes knocking about. there is near where I live....

Last edited:
There are no apartment buildings in the suburbs, but there are a few in the city, but since I no longer work in the city, I don't see any point in living there as well. I think if I still had my job in the city, maybe I would have lived in an apartment, but back then, there were hardly any and they were the size of shoeboxes.

I hated commuting to the city what a waste of time. The bus would take maybe 45 minutes on a good day. I just remember being hungry and tired by the time I got home and no energy to cook anything. I think I had headaches all the time and when I got home all I would do is sleep. (if I wasn't asleep on the bus). You only got a cup of tea unless it was a special staff morning tea, but that wasn't really put on either everyone had to bring and share.

Most people just bought in leftovers and heated them up in the microwave, though some workplaces did have a staff cafeteria, but you had to buy your own. After paying for transport and food and clothes there would be hardly any left to spend on rent.
Wow, you got a lot of stuff going on here.

I used to take the train into the city, but there were always delays and not a very pleasant trip. Now I drive. If I leave by 6am, I get to the office by around 6:50am (I start at 7am and end at 3pm). It is around 21 miles. In the afternoon, I take the highway. It's around 10 miles longer, but way faster (45 mins).

The one year we spent working from home (because the physical schools were closed and we went to a complete online model) was FANTASTIC. Both the wife and I had our own offices and were well equipped to do everything on-line. I was kind of hoping that the idea would catch on for those of us who can work from home with no real impact on our performance. However, the school board decided that if teachers had to return to the physical classroom, all employees must return to their respective offices.

As for breakfast and lunch, we do have a cafeteria. I do not do lunch and usually have an omelet for breakfast. It runs be around $6.00, but I do not do it every day.

Rtm

The bus would need to stop at every bus stop if it was not going via motorway.
And seeing as where I lived was 13 km away from the centre of town, the buses would not run that often.
Parking was hideously expensive, like now you would pay $21 for a day. You couldn't park for free in the city.

It was just not that easy, plus when starting out, you are always paid the bare minimum wages. I don't know anybody who really starts out at the top, even with all the qualifications.

If you were going to share a flat, (they actually used to have workers cottages near town) it would either be really run down, falling apart and not properly insulated (so freezing in winter) or you'd be paying sky high rent for somewhere decent. Then some people bought these cottages to own them and the entire neighbourhood got gentrified, pushing up prices even further. Of course only the well-off could afford to buy a whole house at once (or put a decent deposit down). They would do up these houses so they would be livable again but making renovations can cost just as much as buying a brand new home.

not everyone will share their houses with others, because not everyone is trustworthy, which is a shame, because im sure there is lots of empty homes knocking about. there is near where I live....
sometimes when wwoofing I lived in their houses in the spare room (maybe like the attic) but other times it was a sleep out.

Of curse you still have to be trustworthy to be a tenant and pay your rent on time, and have enough money for the bond. Boarding is somewhat easier arrangement than flatting. As you don't need to worry as you can tell the person who owns it anything that goes wrong and they are living with you anyway.

Most landlords will vet their tenants and if anything happens all they need to do is put their prices up and/or evict the tenants. Tenants don't have as much rights as landlords do of course. That's the whole thing about it. Landlords usually don't really care how you live as long as you can pay them. They don't want their extra homes turned into drug dens though! (which they probably would be if they left them empty - this is what happens with empty holiday homes if they don't check on them)

The bus would need to stop at every bus stop if it was not going via motorway.
And seeing as where I lived was 13 km away from the centre of town, the buses would not run that often.
Parking was hideously expensive, like now you would pay $21 for a day. You couldn't park for free in the city.

It was just not that easy, plus when starting out, you are always paid the bare minimum wages. I don't know anybody who really starts out at the top, even with all the qualifications.

If you were going to share a flat, (they actually used to have workers cottages near town) it would either be really run down, falling apart and not properly insulated (so freezing in winter) or you'd be paying sky high rent for somewhere decent. Then some people bought these cottages to own them and the entire neighbourhood got gentrified, pushing up prices even further. Of course only the well-off could afford to buy a whole house at once (or put a decent deposit down). They would do up these houses so they would be livable again but making renovations can cost just as much as buying a brand new home.
I was looking at some interesting statistics: The average family income in NZ is listed at $107,196. For the US, it is $79.900. The average home in NZ is listed at $406,974 (USD). For the US, it is listed at $293,349.

Looks like you all make pretty good money, but everything is more expensive.

Rtm

Back