Habitat for Humanity

I hope your joking. I laughed.🤔

Yes, we noticed, Via. Then I laughed because you laughed. 🤜 😎

I used to live in a tree house until one night I took a step off the front ‘porch’.
Fortunately, there was snow on the ground, but I did re-injure an old knee injury and was grounded in that Commune (Tolstoy Farms) for the winter.
Never ever spent even a night in a hospital (by God's grace).

Hey crossnote;

I'm sorry you fell out of the tree house and that Via laughed at you. Didn't they have a couple of wooden boards and rope used as an elevator?
I know they did during Major's days.

Yes I have. You must produce your income and verify it. There is a web site to register on. There will be a low % loan to be paid. You will have to do a lot of the work. The wait time after approval is about 1 to 2 years here in Florida.

lol! 😎

Hey crossnote;

I'm sorry you fell out of the tree house and that Via laughed at you. Didn't they have a couple of wooden boards and rope used as an elevator?

lol! 😎
no, I was high that dark night and forgot I was in a treehouse when I stepped out onto (what I thought) was a porch.
No worry it will be 49 years ago this November. I laughed too when I hit the snow.

Hey crossnote;

lol! 😎
How come you all lived in tree huts anyway?

Didn’t you have normal houses.

We had Boy Scouts and girl guides.

So if you mean that kind of thing then I get it.

How come you all lived in tree huts anyway? Didn’t you have normal houses.

Hello Via;

Back in the day of the 60s and 70s people were into commune living like tree huts, tree houses, igloos, dome houses, or living in the woods. They shared everything from food, nuts, twigs, water and other survival things.

The same folks who communed lived now live in large mansions and run the country.

I was too young then, about 12 to 16 years old, and listening to Day By Day by Godspell.

Hello Via;

Back in the day of the 60s and 70s people were into commune living like tree huts, tree houses, igloos, dome houses, or living in the woods. They shared everything from food, nuts, twigs, water and other survival things.

The same folks who communed lived now live in large mansions and run the country.

I was too young then, about 12 to 16 years old, and listening to Day By Day by Godspell.
What I thought only hobbits lived in holes in the ground and children lived in tree houses and huts.

Are you meaning adults did this?

I know Hansel and Gretel nearly got eaten by a witch in a gingerbread house. As they tried to eat HER house. I guess it was tit for tat.

What I thought only hobbits lived in holes in the ground and children lived in tree houses and huts. Are you meaning adults did this? I know Hansel and Gretel nearly got eaten by a witch in a gingerbread house. As they tried to eat HER house. I guess it was tit for tat.
I am thinking the only house I can afford is a doll house. They look a lot fancier than the one I live in! It's just I am too big for them.
but seriously, when I pass my driving test im getting a van and turning into a small home. im only tiny so its not too bad, I dont know how tall you are so I dont know if you will enjoy tiny homes.
run the country, what communists?

Hello Lanolin and Via;

I actually ate Hansel and Gretel because they were gingerbread people, but look what it did to me. 1660929150031.png

Commune living, not communism, from the 60s and 70s was a trend for adults who didn't want to co-exist with civilization in the suburbs and cities. But many of these adults who got older ended up as corporate mongers or political government leaders.

Living in a van is ideal for some people who want a very simple life. Gas may be expensive right now but you're still free from expenses like property taxes, insurance, utility bills, mortgage or rent, etc...

1660928306224.png1660928340001.png1660928473439.png1660928819874.png

hmm. Wouldn't work on a slope...
Also where would you park. It's hard enough to find car parks as it is. You'll get ticket in most places in the city now lol

as for communes..they tried them and they didn't work, most failed and ended through infighting and laziness. People went hungry as they found they couldn't hack farming. NZers had a thing called ohu scheme in the 70s. I cam across them one day when was reading some nz history stories. They got given the worst, most unproductive land, like the mud pits that nobody else wanted and said here, try living on this.

Hello Lanolin and Via;

I actually ate Hansel and Gretel because they were gingerbread people, but look what it did to me. View attachment 7761

Commune living, not communism, from the 60s and 70s was a trend for adults who didn't want to co-exist with civilization in the suburbs and cities. But many of these adults who got older ended up as corporate mongers or political government leaders.

Living in a van is ideal for some people who want a very simple life. Gas may be expensive right now but you're still free from expenses like property taxes, insurance, utility bills, mortgage or rent, etc...

View attachment 7757View attachment 7758View attachment 7759

View attachment 7760
We have two friends (retired teacher and retired Air Force colonel), who sold their home and purchased one of those bus-size RVs. They joined a group of likeminded retired couples and spend the year traveling. They spend the winter in Key West, as there are several camping grounds to connect to water, electricity, etc. In the summer they all agree on a destination to travel to, or they go their separate ways and the country and visit relatives.

If memory serves, the RV holds 400 gallons of fuel and can be powered with electricity, solar, and wind. At $3.50 a gal, that's $1,400 a fill-up. "Depending on size, weight, and other variables, large gasoline-powered Class A motorhomes typically get between 6-10 miles per gallon in ideal conditions." So, that's between 2,400 and 4,000 miles on tank of gas. guess that's not all that bad, but you need to factor other things like campground fees, insurance, etc.

In Key West, rental (off season 5/1/22 – 10/14/22) is $115 a day for 2 people. Regular season (10/15/22 - 12/14/22 & 4/1/23 - 4/30/23) is $150 a day. https://www.boydscampground.com/Rate-Sheet-Boyds.pdf

gypsys..

Has anyone of you tried living in a mobile home for a year or more? Like in the movie Nomadland. You'd have to go somewhere warm I imagine.

I think suburban homes are perfect habitats for cats. They stay small and have owners that look after them and in return they are supposed to catch mice.

I don't think suburbs are good to live in if you live too far from work or your car doesn't go. Also housewives can feel isolated unless they build up good support networks. If you want ALL the facilities you need to live in a richer area that may be impossible to afford, a lot of suburban developments are done on the cheap, so you may have an empty shell of a house and a bare barren plot of land when you start out, and no furnishings. There may be no footpaths, public transport, rubbish collection or adequate drainage, and the land may have been recently contaminated thanks to pesticide and herbicide use. There may not be a school (or it might not be ready yet) and little shops within walking distance. You may have to wait years for a playground to be built!

have been thinking of this. There is co-housing in the suburb next to mine and some people have bought into it like their own little commune or some kind of ideal village like Poundbury. There are also retirement villages, were nobody actually does any work. Only the young people looking after it and they aren't allowed to actually live there.

I'm thinking it would be ok to be a hermit on a vast estate and live off the richer landlord, who's using it as a holiday home and only there for a few months of the year. I could be the gardener. The only thing is, when the landlord dies or loses all their dough, there goes your home.

The servants quarters in most huge houses were up the attic with little ventilation, a hard bed, and no heating. Like Anne of Green Gables. But who cares, you only up there to sleep while you spend all your waking hours slaving away making the house look tidy and brand new. Right?

A had a workmate who lost her job and then found work in a hotel, where she had to clean all the rooms, she said she got free food there and if she worked long enough hours and was exhausted, maybe she could lie down for a while on egyptian cotton sheets. But the thing is the chemicals in the cleaning products caused her hands to be flaky and she got allergic reactions , or from the latex gloves or something. People are dirty too and don't make their own beds and leave stuff all over the floor, don't hang up their clothes, or do their dishes.

Well... I read as far as CONVERTED GARAGE.... I live in one... It's well built... it's warm... and it's cozy.
I have been here 8.5 years. I think my apartment started out as an extension of the basement. Not sure when they decided to scrap the garage
for extra space but by the time I got here... renovations had been made years ago. They invested in a very good heater from a company called
Rinnai... that thing keeps me nice and toasty warm. You would never know this used to be the garage... it simply seems to be an apartment off the main house. Anyways.... YEP... I live in a garage.... they call me the troll.... I am the domesticated troll who lives in a garage. HA.

Well... I read as far as CONVERTED GARAGE.... I live in one... It's well built... it's warm... and it's cozy.
I have been here 8.5 years. I think my apartment started out as an extension of the basement. Not sure when they decided to scrap the garage
for extra space but by the time I got here... renovations had been made years ago. They invested in a very good heater from a company called
Rinnai... that thing keeps me nice and toasty warm. You would never know this used to be the garage... it simply seems to be an apartment off the main house. Anyways.... YEP... I live in a garage.... they call me the troll.... I am the domesticated troll who lives in a garage. HA.
Just make sure you've got some indoor plants in to absorb any residual gas fumes. You know, from the cars and exhaust that used to use it.

I can't live in the garage cos its got all my parents STUFF in it. I can't even park my car in it.

I was talking to a Japanese massage therapist who came to help massage mum. She's staying in NZ in a basement of a house. Her landlord has the ground floor. It's working ok but she says theres lots of bugs. Not sure what bugs, could be cockroaches or wetas. I told her I'm sorry but in NZ we don't keep pet kiwis, who could eat them.

Just make sure you've got some indoor plants in to absorb any residual gas fumes. You know, from the cars and exhaust that used to use it.

I can't live in the garage cos its got all my parents STUFF in it. I can't even park my car in it.
Hi Lanolin... Where I am living has NOT been a garage for at least the last 20 years... because it's been an apartment for over 10 years and before that... it was the family bar area... so they closed off the garage a very long time ago. so I don't have to worry about residual gas fumes. the lighting is a bit of hassle... but I make sure I get outside on a daily basis. Happy New Year to you. I am sorry to hear about your vegetables.

Back