Gal 4:8-11

Galatians 4:8-11
King James Version (KJV)

8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Galatians 4:8-11
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Paul’s Concern for the Galatians
8 But in the past, when you didn’t know God, you were enslaved to things[a] that by nature are not gods. 9 But now, since you know God, or rather have become known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and bankrupt elemental forces? Do you want to be enslaved to them all over again? 10 You observe special days, months, seasons, and years. 11 I am fearful for you, that perhaps my labor for you has been wasted.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

8 Befroe we came to the Lord things we did only seemed natural to us. Often we did not know the pull sin had on our life. Before we came to Christ our sins were our gods but now Christ is our God.

9 Now that we come to Christ we do not want to live the same way we did we want to better, now this does not mean we will fall or want to please our flesh but it means we want to please the Lord more than anything or anyone else.

10 Have things we celebrate. The bible never this is wrong unless we celebrate by sinning.

11 This is something all believers think about at times. Are we doing things that are effective? We do not need to worry about this but to serve the Lord as He leads and then it will not matter if we are effective because following the Lord, He will take care of things, what we do may not be acomplished in God's plan untill we are gone from this earth but, sometimes we are blessed to see the results of doing what the Lord leads us to do and it should make us want to do more.

"8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain. Galatians 4:8-11 NKJV

My thoughts follow:

8 Before you were saved, you bowed down and ritually served idols.

9 And now, surprisingly, even though you have come to know God personally, you have turned away from Him back to idols.

10 Specifically, you think obeying the law is the key to living a successful Christian life.

11 I am really concerned for you that you might not really be saved.

Galatians (and, indeed, Romans) gives a through doctrinal basis of the grounds of the believer's redemption. So easy otherwise to get caught up with legalistic arguments.

Blessings.

Back